collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Insanity workout-your experience?  (Read 274 times)

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Insanity workout-your experience?
« on: March 04, 2014, 10:29:11 AM »
So, I've been looking more and more into the Insanity workout as I would really prefer an effective workout I can do in privacy and like many I've heard a lot of positive things about this one. Of course, it costs a pretty penny, and before I pour this kind of money into it I'd like to know the opinions and experiences of REAL people who have tried this program. Do you recommend it?

I also have my own lightweight punching bag and if anyone has any kickboxing workout dvds to recommend I'm also all ears. But please don't recommend anything from Jillian Michaels.

Thanks!

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
Re: Insanity workout-your experience?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 11:22:04 AM »
I love Shaun T's "Hip Hop Abs," but I wouldn't try "Insanity" if it was given to me for free. :P Then again, I'm not into advanced workouts. I get good results from walking, low-impact aerobics, and Pilates. What I eat (or the amount, actually) is what gives real results. If "Insanity" is the type of program you enjoy, go for it. However, I don't recommend doing such intense workouts over a long period of time because they're very hard on the joints.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 11:23:22 AM »
We had a thread about this a while back. It may be helpful to you.

Found it! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,326613.0.html
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline sweetlittlejenny

• Trade Count: (+99)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 11:41:56 AM »
Me and the hubby tried it. It is very intense! He was pretty good at it since he is in decent shape. I however had a hard time with the correct form. But you are supposed to modify the moves if you need to. We only stuck with it for about 3 weeks but I did feel like I was getting stronger. We were trying to do it together but his schedule is crazy.
There are some moves that are killer on the knees and those I couldn't do too many of. Also make sure you have a really good pair of shoes. What jumping I did was murder on my feet without decent shoes.
If you like fast paced high intensity stuff then Insanity is for you.
I say make sure you have a large bottle of water nearby. Even the warm ups are killers.
I should try it again. Maybe after our trip home I'll give it another go.

Click banner for my customs gallery.

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 12:08:50 PM »
By the way, you can read about people's opinions and results at the fitness forum I belong to: http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3 (General Discussion)

You don't have to be a member to use the search feature. My user name is imhere2dance. :)

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 09:35:23 PM »
My husband and I just finished the 9-week Insanity program last week.  I won't lie - it's tough.  And I've been working out 6 days a week for the past 10 years (even throughout all my pregnancies).  My husband asked me if I would do it with him since he wanted to develop some strength for his upcoming Ragnar race in April.

It's in two phases - in Phase 1 the workouts are roughly 40 minutes long.  After 4 weeks of that, you get a rest week (but that workout is still a bit intense strength-wise, just not high-impact), then you move onto Phase 2.  Phase 2 is another 4 weeks long, and the workouts are roughly 60 minutes long.  You feel like your soul dies a little each time.

And after all that, I only lost 2 pounds, and my clothes don't fit any differently (and I do eat properly).  I do have more upper body strength, but to see those crazy results, some of those people have gone through the program two or three times.  It made me want to sleep more, and eat more protein.

I am one of those people that likes to work out by myself (except for my Zumba classes because those are fun), and I HIGHLY recommend doing this with someone to help you stick with it.  During those 9 weeks, there were a few days where my husband didn't work out with me because he developed a nasty cold, and it was tough getting through those workouts alone.  Having another person physically there with you definitely helps to keep you motivated to finish.

I also recommend getting a yoga mat for some of the moves.  I actually use it a lot to help protect my hands (since we workout in the garage).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 09:43:07 PM by ashes »

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline slj84

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 06:27:47 AM »
I had a coworker who did it, he said it was tough but worth it.  I'm afraid to do it as my knees are not great and I'm afraid of hurting them.

Offline Hervoyel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toy Box Revenge
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 08:52:56 AM »
It's reasonably fun if you have good knees and are in decent shape, and it's properly tough if you're in mediocre shape.  I think it's a good general program - if you're starting at a general level of fitness you'll probably see strength and stamina gains, and it's a good way to add some variety to your workout if you have a single focus most of the time (like distance running or weight lifting).  If you already do generalized fitness stuff at a high level I don't think it'll give you gains, but you wouldn't lose anything either.

In terms of weight loss, I think that usually depends more on eating than the actual exercises.

Honestly, I think most of these kind of series work (in terms of fitness gains, and weight loss when tied to a diet plan) if you stick to them, so I think you're safe with most of them.  I got a box of about 20 different video programs from my brother-in-law (the previous owner of his house left them in the basement when he took possession of his house), and even though I like the Insanity plans, I would never have wanted to pay full price for it, y'know?

Blog

mickey

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 09:04:15 AM »
I lost 40 lbs using insanity and eating healthy.  I then did P90X.  I just finished Focus T25 which I recommend if you want a shorter workout.  I am now doing P90X3.  Healthy eating is a must with any exercise program though.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 09:35:29 AM »
Sounds like it depends on the person.

It may have been something I would have done 5 or 6 years ago (when I was routinely going to curves and wanted something more), before I got chronically sick, but I would die and injure myself severely if I tried that now (I have 0 strength and issues with my joints, let alone internal gi tact stuff.  This is one of the 'get everything else sorted first before doing anything else')

I guess id look at what your goals are, first then go from there :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal