collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Going to attempt an Equestria Girls custom  (Read 2670 times)

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
Re: Going to attempt an Equestria Girls custom
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 09:56:55 PM »
I wanted to try my hand at making a custom of EQG Dolls even if I don't like the dolls.. but there is not white one that is fully articulating and my batting average with painting moving joints isn't great
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline PrincessGryph

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • The Want It Need It Spell... Works Every Time!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Gryph Customs for Sale!
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 10:00:27 PM »
I've been working on an EG custom off and on for a while.  It's going to be my persona.  Luckily, my persona is a white pony, so I just used a Rarity body.  I do plan on making a :muffin: doll.  I had planned on just airbrushing it, and using a good sealer.  I do expect the joints to have paint loss, but hopefully the clothing will cover it.  Rehairing was easy enough, but it did take a long time because there where so many holes!  Be sure and be careful around the ears, because the holes can split.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Lovely!

Thanks for the warning; I was eyeballing the holes around the ears while painting. They look like trouble.

I'm trying to think of more I can do that DON'T need a full body color change, but the ones I wanted to do (DJ Pon3, Trixie) are already being made official. I went ahead with making :muffin: Pony first because I knew even if I had to paint it, it would be a popular start. And I'm using a RD from the TRU box set, so she doesn't have a shirt and I can't cover up those joints unless I make clothes. Instead, I think I'm just going to glue the limbs and make her a static pose, strictly display only. I've given up on the other methods and just started hand painting her and it's looking pretty good actually.

I am going to try (with a second doll) staining the body with straight black Rit dye not watered down and see what that looks like. But right now I'm trying to decide if I should paint her cutie mark on her cheek like it is on the others, or if I should paint it on the skirt. Or both.

I think after this I'm going to make a Princess Gryph OC one for myself. Hopefully that will give people the idea to commission their own OCs, which would be neat.

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 10:00:48 PM »
There is a Rarity that bends at the elbows and knees!  I bought one, just so I could use the body for my custom.  Those are old pics of her, I haven't taken any with the new body.  Best part is there is no paint on the body! 

This one:  http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/my-little-pony-equestria-girls-rarity-doll
Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy

Offline PrincessGryph

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 10:05:25 PM »
There is a Rarity that bends at the elbows and knees!  I bought one, just so I could use the body for my custom.  Those are old pics of her, I haven't taken any with the new body.  Best part is there is no paint on the body! 

This one:  http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/my-little-pony-equestria-girls-rarity-doll

I don't really care too much if the elbows and knees bend or not. Not enough to pay more for one, anyway. Though it would be nice to work with one that doesn't have paint on the body. I have a couple Twilight and Celestias that are like that, but no plans for them yet.

Offline Starly

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 01:55:42 AM »
I wanted to try my hand at making a custom of EQG Dolls even if I don't like the dolls.. but there is not white one that is fully articulating and my batting average with painting moving joints isn't great

There is an articulated rarity. :I
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 05:02:35 AM »

I thought only her Knees were articulating, I wanted like the articulation in both knees and elbows XD That's why I said fully articulating. Besides isn't the ones with articulating knees the ones with the electronic gobblely gook in them? Bleck!

Post Merge: March 11, 2014, 05:05:00 AM

Ok scratch what I said before, it's just so hard to see the articulation on these dolls unless you look at the pics on Amazon half the time. I don't think I've seen this one locally
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 05:05:00 AM by sd_dreamcrystal »
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 08:30:15 AM »
Oh wow!!! I like what I am seeing so far. I could never do something like that.

Offline PrincessGryph

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 05:00:31 PM »

I thought only her Knees were articulating, I wanted like the articulation in both knees and elbows XD That's why I said fully articulating. Besides isn't the ones with articulating knees the ones with the electronic gobblely gook in them? Bleck!

I love electronic gobbeldy gook and wish I had the know-how to customize electronics :3

G4Sweeties

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 03:55:58 PM »
:muffin: Pony's looking pretty good so far! Can't wait for the finished product.

Offline PrincessGryph

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 06:49:09 AM »
Say hello to :muffin: Pony Lion

So I just said f it and painted everything like I normally would. It looks good, though it would have looked better if I'd used my airbrush I'm sure. Because of the paint, I glued the joints, so this will be her static pose. She seemed to be a little off-balance when I set her up because I guess her hair is a bit heavy, but hopefully that will resolve itself once I style it (which, btw, I hate doing, not really looking forward to it).

That head took forever to rehair though. I know a pony head has about 50-60 hair plugs which takes 1 hour, and a fashion style has about 200-250 which takes 4 hours, but this felt like longer. I really should have counted the plugs to get an idea of how long I would be sitting working on the damn thing.

I'll have to do a little more here and there on the paint job before I style the hair, but I'm just about done anyhow.

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 07:28:49 AM »
You did an amazing job! :)
My Wish List

Offline moonsugar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • my Tumblr blog (may occasionally contain adult content)
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 07:55:40 AM »
Oh wow, that's looking pretty good! Can't wait to see her final hairstyle! I really like her outfit.

The only thing I'd change about her is a slightly lighter skin colour, but apart from that- pretty spot on! :biggrin:
:fox:

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 10:47:58 AM »
Cute! Looking forward to seeing the finished product :)

Offline PrincessGryph

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 02:02:54 AM »
She's finally done! Done done! Finally done!

Not sure what I should sell her for. Feels like she took forever. Also, ugh, I hate styling hair. This was so much more complicated than a pony head, I couldn't figure out how at first.

Offline PrincessGryph

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2014, 03:29:58 AM »

:3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal