collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G3: Does it deserve all the hate?  (Read 3958 times)

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
Re: G3: Does it deserve all the hate?
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2014, 06:42:26 PM »
The Newborn Cuties, on the other hand, you will not see many people trying to defend.

Offline Neon Sparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2014, 07:00:28 PM »
I love G3!  :)

G4 helped me really get into MLP initially as it was the current generation, but G3 was what attracted me to Ponies in the first place when I decided I wanted to start getting into them. I really liked the designs and thought a lot of the stuff was really cute.

G2 is my most favorite past gen after G4, but I definitely admire G3 and G1 a lot and I try to collect a little bit of all of them. I haven't really ever seen any of the G3 video media but I am really tempted to pick up the new DVD set that just came out with a bunch of the G3 specials.

G3.5 on the other hand, I actually like the designs of the Ponies but the whole Core 7 re-hash thing is what really kills it for me. I wouldn't  mind having 1 of each though.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • So Soft Pony
  • Always dresses in style
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2014, 07:11:48 PM »
I love the G3 specials.  They're absolutely adorable.  I just found the rerelease of Runaway Rainbow, Princess Promenade, Friends Are Never Far Away, & Dancing In The Clouds yesterday at Target.  So no, they definitely don't deserve the hate.

They're cute little ponies - they don't need to fight monsters, drive muscle cars, or have sword fights.  There are plenty of other TV shows, movies, books, etc. where you can get that.

I think the G3 cartoons were pretty bad. The animation and voice acting were bad

I'm not a brony, but I do think FIM is the best cartoon that has ever come out for ponies. It's not perfect--I would love to see more adventure and villains, but the writing, animation, and voice acting are all pretty great. I won't hate on G3 cartoons, but I have a pretty low opinion of them.

Half the Mane 6, Spike, and some of the most popular recurring characters were G3 voice actresses.

G3 Minty, Thistle Whistle, Wysteria, etc. = Tabitha St. Germain (G4 Rarity, Luna, etc.)

G3 Rarity = Cathy Weseluck (G4 Spike)

G3 ZipZee = Andrea Libman (G4 Fluttershy & Pinkie Pie)

G3 Kimono, Sweetberry = Kathleen Barr (G4 Trixie, Chrysalis)

G3 Tra La La = Britt McKillip (G4 Princess Cadence)
Rainbow Dash always dresses in style.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2014, 08:18:32 PM »
The Newborn Cuties, on the other hand, you will not see many people trying to defend.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

WHAT YOU SAY?

I kid, I kid. XD
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2014, 08:25:25 PM »
Yeah...you may want to ask this on a brony forum and not an all inclusive, all generation one like the Arena. Seriously...what is it at the moment with us trying to decide what is inside the minds of people on other forums and in other fandoms?

There is no G3 hate here that I can see. Everyone has different tastes - some people love G3 cartoons and some people dont like it that much. But passionate hate? Nope...not here. I cant tell you why some people hate the cartoons - its a perfectly innocent and decently created cartoon. No matter what you are interested in in life, what you like, someone out there is always going to dislike it. *shrug* thats just life.
This, I don't understand the need for all these threads lately that I kinda think almost seem to start drama than help the situation. I think for the majority of people here they are more accepting of all generations. This isn't a brony focused community and more all gen related.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2014, 09:27:38 PM »
I actually love these cartoons, they are very innocent and clean and well that is why I like them, sometimes I just like to watch them to take a break from all the violence and non sense that is so "liked " out there these days :)
and I like so I can relate more to the toys I have, is cool to see the ponies in action ,Star Catcher is one of my many favorites ponies as toy and in the movies :)
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2014, 04:56:47 AM »
I think that g3 haters are mostly just insecure in their masculinity, and are trying to justify liking FiM, because 'it's sooooo different'. No, it's not, not really. It's mostly the same characters, changed up a bit, with villians and less tea parties.

It's still a girls show about ponies. You like ponies, get over it - instead of trying to turn it into a show for guys, just accept that you like a show for girls. Girls have gotten over gender boundaries for years, and we're much more mature for our wisdom. It's most guys that have the problem with them, and it's about time they woke up to themselves - maybe this brony thing will do that for some men at long last. That's why the guys on here get along so well with everyone - they've accepted the mature view that just because they like something initially created for girls, it doesn't make you one.

AMEN! Best post of the week!
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2014, 06:50:31 AM »
I think that g3 haters are mostly just insecure in their masculinity, and are trying to justify liking FiM, because 'it's sooooo different'. No, it's not, not really. It's mostly the same characters, changed up a bit, with villians and less tea parties.

It's still a girls show about ponies. You like ponies, get over it - instead of trying to turn it into a show for guys, just accept that you like a show for girls. Girls have gotten over gender boundaries for years, and we're much more mature for our wisdom. It's most guys that have the problem with them, and it's about time they woke up to themselves - maybe this brony thing will do that for some men at long last. That's why the guys on here get along so well with everyone - they've accepted the mature view that just because they like something initially created for girls, it doesn't make you one.
Pretty much my philosophy on it as well.

Yeah...you may want to ask this on a brony forum and not an all inclusive, all generation one like the Arena. Seriously...what is it at the moment with us trying to decide what is inside the minds of people on other forums and in other fandoms?

There is no G3 hate here that I can see. Everyone has different tastes - some people love G3 cartoons and some people dont like it that much. But passionate hate? Nope...not here. I cant tell you why some people hate the cartoons - its a perfectly innocent and decently created cartoon. No matter what you are interested in in life, what you like, someone out there is always going to dislike it. *shrug* thats just life.
This, I don't understand the need for all these threads lately that I kinda think almost seem to start drama than help the situation. I think for the majority of people here they are more accepting of all generations. This isn't a brony focused community and more all gen related.
They probably ask it here because, either they know they're not going to get a straight answer from most brony forums, or because the amount of brony opinion out there has made it seem like every fan feels the same way or that it's a majority view.  I recently posted a thread about a G4 character and how depressing it is that he gets so much hate among fans, and the gyst of the majority of replies here was "People hate him?"  Meaning it's probably more of a brony thing, than an entire fandom thing.  That's probably what happened here.

To be honest, there isn't that much to defend.  It's just two episodes, and is barely a generation for that reason.  If more had been released it would have had time to grow, and it would still have been the most childish generation very likely, but some episodes could have still have been better than others.  As it stands, I view them as episodes of G3.5, even though that's technically wrong (I guess).

The first episode was unbelievably rushed, and most of it looked unfinished; it was only half animated in the lip-synching was non-existent.  I honestly think that you could upload this episode somewhere, say that it's a MLP parody you created as a joke, and at least one person would be fooled.  The second episode was better, more coherent, and better animated.  It still wasn't in the same quality as the other generations (for me), but it showed potential that could have gone further if Hasbro had bothered.  I would assume that these two episodes were made when no one in Hasbro was really sure what they were doing.

That said, I don't hate them, acknowledge their place in MLP, and will include them in someway.

I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2014, 08:12:36 AM »
The g3 cartoons are adorable. :o)

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Firehooves

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2014, 10:18:28 AM »
I think the G3 cartoons and media are cute, and people throw waaaay too much hate on them! :( G3 had quite a few interesting characters, and storytelling-wise the most wasted potential of all the gens. I will give 3.5 was scraping the bottom of the barrel, and the G3 cartoons could have used some improvement, but the toyus seemed pretty cool- I mean, they never had an autmatically growing castle you could grow with a mgic wand when I was a kid! XD

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2014, 04:54:35 PM »
G3 had quite a few interesting characters, and storytelling-wise the most wasted potential of all the gens.
That, right there.  :)
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2014, 05:32:50 PM »
I was extremely active in the pony community when the G3s were coming out, and watched the cartoons as they were coming out.  I have to say, of all the pony cartoons, the G3 ones were the least inspired.  I think the general consensus in the community at the time was that they were just overall uninspired.  The biggest excitement from the cartoons was always a sneak peak at what ponies might be making their way to shelves soon.  I never really liked them as entertainment.  I'd never hate on them, but I always thought that MLP deserved better. 

I also watched the G1 cartoons as a child, and some episodes definitely do not stand the test of time.  A lot of 80s cartoons don't hold up so well, so that's to be expected.

I do think that the most effort has gone into FIM of all the MLP cartoons.  I like how they went back to the solid fantasy thing again.   

However, MLP has always been all about the toys for me, so the show has always taken a back seat.  As for the toys, G3s were actually pretty incredible.  They had a *huge* variety of ponies.  They had tons of really fun accessories and playsets.  And there were some absolutely beautiful ponies that came out of that line!  It was a fun line to collect...until it all went wrong with the Core 7 idea. 

Offline Navi

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2014, 06:00:58 PM »
I really enjoyed G3! I remember being excited when I saw a new movie was out. I watched them with my husband, and we both enjoyed them, even though it was kind of tongue-in-cheek cheesy at times.

I remember there was a line in one of the movies, I think all the ponies went to ask Kimono some silly question, and after they left she was like "And this is why I don't live in town" :lol:

They're not going to win any awards, but I thought the G3 movies/episodes were a lot of fun to watch.
 :heart: Minty! :heart:

Seeking Petite Ponies (trade/wish list)
Formerly known as navichan.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal