collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G3: Does it deserve all the hate?  (Read 3959 times)

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
Re: G3: Does it deserve all the hate?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 01:08:19 PM »
I enjoy G3, even if it had it's faults. The only reason I can assume it's disliked (judging by some comments I've read elsewhere) is that there's no real conflict in any of the episodes (ie. Nightmare Moon, Tirac, etc.)

To be fair though, it's a child's cartoon so conflict probably doesn't come into it. It's yet another case of grown up collectors taking mlp far too seriously. It's a children's tv show, end of story. (Not sure what the g4 fans call themselves now, pretty sure it's not 'collectors')
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Stars

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • 'You're special to me!' ~ Sweet Berry
    • View Profile
    • The Cave of the Past - My Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 01:12:25 PM »
I enjoy G3, even if it had it's faults. The only reason I can assume it's disliked (judging by some comments I've read elsewhere) is that there's no real conflict in any of the episodes (ie. Nightmare Moon, Tirac, etc.)

To be fair though, it's a child's cartoon so conflict probably doesn't come into it. It's yet another case of grown up collectors taking mlp far too seriously. It's a children's tv show, end of story. (Not sure what the g4 fans call themselves now, pretty sure it's not 'collectors')

I would say exactly the same. It's a kids cartoon, its not going to be quality TV, and probably should be taken in the lighthearted silly way it was intended for its target audience

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Thank you to Nence for my lovely Rosie Teapony and Shiverdam for my Rosie Seapony <3
3DS Friend Code: 1805 - 2156 - 2596 | Mii: Ellie | AC: Nellie - Town: Phenac | Pokemon Y: Eleanor

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 01:16:13 PM »
I was born in the 80's so my first exposure to MLP was of course G1's, but G3's were I think a good reminder of G1's because of the variety and all the playsets and fun stuff to do.  I enjoyed the movies as well.  I think most of the people who hate G3's are the bronies.  The bronies that hate previous generations of MLP I mean.  Their first exposure to MLP was G4 and as far as they're concerned it's the only true generation of MLP and the only generation of MLP worthy of mentioning.   

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2014, 01:45:54 PM »
I have nothing bad to say about the G3 ponies!!! I was so happy to see any new pony stuff. After the G1 ponies stop back in the day I was pretty down. I could not get into the G2 ponies when I was a kid. So when the G3 ones came out I was more happy then ever! I would enjoy whatever pony stuff came out :)

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 02:23:10 PM »
I think that g3 haters are mostly just insecure in their masculinity, and are trying to justify liking FiM, because 'it's sooooo different'. No, it's not, not really. It's mostly the same characters, changed up a bit, with villians and less tea parties.

It's still a girls show about ponies. You like ponies, get over it - instead of trying to turn it into a show for guys, just accept that you like a show for girls. Girls have gotten over gender boundaries for years, and we're much more mature for our wisdom. It's most guys that have the problem with them, and it's about time they woke up to themselves - maybe this brony thing will do that for some men at long last. That's why the guys on here get along so well with everyone - they've accepted the mature view that just because they like something initially created for girls, it doesn't make you one.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2014, 02:24:45 PM »
Nope, it doesn't. G3 is a beautiful generation. I like the cartoons too even though they almost have too much sugar for me.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 02:48:12 PM »
If we're talking about the show, I can honestly say that G3 does not deserve the hate it is getting, especially as most of the ones doing the more vocal hate have clearly never watched G3, or glanced at it and not bothered, and on some occasions watched G3.5 by accident (not that I'm saying G3.5 deserves hate either, but a lot of the complaints aimed at G3 are clearly made by people who are thinking of G3.5)

Here's how I can tell the hate is unjustified;  I admit it, it's mostly bronies.  Can anyone guess what show most bronies love more than anything?  That's right, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, but what many of them fail to see is that most of what they liked about FIM, is nothing new, and many of it was inspired by the previous MLP generations, as FIM was made by a fan.

What does this have to do with G3?  Pretty much everything.  The G3 and G4 shows are are actually very similar to one another, similar types of characters (while the ones that aren't similar are likable and relatable in their own way), similar idea of morals that anyone can learn from, at any age (though it doesn't force itself to have one all the time), they are both shows than anyone can watch, regardless of gender and age - they are the same show done differently, and G4 drew a lot of inspiration from it (as well as G1 years ago).

Some people here don't like G3, or at least don't think it's as good as the others.  Fine.  I at least know here, that it is a genuine opinion, that you all bothered to try watching more than about three seconds tops of it before giving up, and I'm sure if you hated it at least some of you would try at least one more episode to be sure as well.

Here are some examples as to why I think that many of the haters have never watched G3, only watched the bare minimum, or watched G3.5 by mistake.

1. "It's too girly" - Well, it is mainly targeted towards girls, but it is no more girly, nor no less girly than any other generation, and even if it was, should that be viewed as a bad thing?  The creator of FIM (who like pre-FIM including G3) was always adamant to prove that if something looks "girly" it doesn't have to mean it's going to be bad.  While I can't bring myself to care about genders (and barely notice them) I am sure many outsiders found FIM girly at first glance too (which it both is, and isn't - because it all depends on perception what is masculine and what is feminine).

2. "The pony's all act the same/have no personality" - No one who has watched more than five seconds of G3 would ever say this.  Ever.  Are these people seriously trying to say that a kind soft spoken gardner has the exact same personality as a fun loving action pony?  Do they really think that a semi-irresponsable playful filly, and a sophisticated well mannered "older sister figure" pony are acting the same as one another?

3. "It's boring because there's no risks or danger for the ponies" - while G3 is one of the safer generations (G3.5 was safer, I think - in fact Tales was pretty safe most of the time too.) it is not without it's risks at places.  There are a episodes where death is implied as much as it is in other generations (such as falling), and even if there is less of a risk for the ponies, does there even need to be?  Many FIM episodes have been enjoyed perfectly fine without a death threat hanging above the ponies the whole episode, because the episode in question was about something more personal, which is also what G3 does in it's calmer episodes.

4. "There's no storyline!  The pony's just play with each other, and that's it!" - That's more likely to be G3.5, and even that may be an exageration (I really need to watch more G3.5) as G3 often had episodes that were about more than just "playtime".  "Princess Promenarde", "Dancing in the Clouds", "Friends are Never Far Away", "A Very Minty Christmas", to name a few all had coherent storylines to them, which could have easily been used in FIM if it had the right characters.  Even the more "tame" episodes have enough going on in them.

5 "It's nothing like FIM!" There are more simularites than differences, but it's not supposed to be exactly like a show that didn't exist when it was made.

Also, I have seen people (including bronies) change their minds about G3 once they actually watch it.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 03:20:34 PM »
Honestly I think the G3 cartoons are pretty awful. I couldn't even sit through the Princess Promenade. I will admit though that I haven't bothered to watch the Minty one, which seems to be a favorite. Maybe I'll give it a try and see if I have a change of heart. =P I don't think anything will make me like the animation though...

To be fair, I don't really care much for the G1 cartoon either (except the pilot and maybe the movie), though I liked them when I was little. So there's a decent chance I would have liked the G3 toons well enough when I was part of the target demographic.

In the end I care more about the toys than the cartoons anyway. And I LOVE the G3s!
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline MANIMAL!

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2014, 04:04:31 PM »
I am in the group who grew up in the 80's with G1. I think the G3 cartoons were pretty bad. I watched them out of desperation, but they were bad. The animation and voice acting were bad, but that was also a problem with the G1 cartoons. However, at least the G1 cartoons had adventures and villains. Also, the G3 toy line and cartoon drove me a little crazy with their near total lack of unicorns and pegasi. That being said there were a lot of things I liked about the G3 toys.

I'm not a brony, but I do think FIM is the best cartoon that has ever come out for ponies. It's not perfect--I would love to see more adventure and villains, but the writing, animation, and voice acting are all pretty great. I won't hate on G3 cartoons, but I have a pretty low opinion of them.

Offline Trinity

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Also known as Elfwink.
    • View Profile
    • Elfwink's Pixels
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2014, 04:18:29 PM »
I know I'm opening up a can of worms here, but why is *HATE* towards anything really necessary? Why can't you just choose to NOT LIKE it?
:rainbow: also known as Elfwink | pixel art!

Never play leapfrog with a unicorn!

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2014, 04:48:42 PM »
When it comes to toys G3 is awesome! I would pick that toyline over G4 any day.
The cartoons are "ok". I think they are kinda cute and that it is silly to compare them to G4. Different target audience and different budget. I honestly feel silly about complaining that G3 toons don't entertain me all that much. They really weren't made for me.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 04:50:21 PM by Malicieuse »

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2014, 04:50:07 PM »
No, they don't :( then again my post might get ignored, but here goes anyway:
I think people hate them because of the girly, boring backcard stories Hasbro gave em  :unsure: and I think bronies hate them because they look more horse like then G4

I love G3...I love it with all my heart  :( even though they made me get overwhelmed at the toystore and I had to take a break...

I personally dream and hope when all of this G4 nonsense is over and when G5 rolls in, we'll have a similar mold and "behavior" (more variety in every store you go to) to G3.

But the G3 movies are cheesy and cringe worthy :s, i'm trying to get used to them though...even my G3 ponies are embarrassed of them  >_<
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2014, 04:53:14 PM »
I know I'm opening up a can of worms here, but why is *HATE* towards anything really necessary? Why can't you just choose to NOT LIKE it?

I agree with you almost all the time. I can see hating something because it is offensive or gives a bad message... but it's PONIES! In this case, a children's cartoon with really nothing objectionable about it, hatred is maybe a rather strong word. *shrug* But then I don't think many, if any people would use such a harsh word.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2014, 05:55:57 PM »

I would say exactly the same. It's a kids cartoon, its not going to be quality TV, and probably should be taken in the lighthearted silly way it was intended for its target audience

I don't feel "children's show" should automatically mean "not quality." There are good and bad shows for adults, and good and bad shows aimed at kids. The attitude that kids don't need to have quality show, or worse, that they're too stupid to know the difference, doesn't sit right with me. I know kids are easily entertained, but a show can still be high quality (whether it literally high quality animation/acting, or just smart writing despite budget) while catering to a simpler audience. Look at Wonder Pets, for goodness' sake. Possibly the simplest show out there, yet it fits every definition of "high quality."

To answer the question, I don't think it deserves all the hate. (I'd be lying if I said "newborn cuties" didn't deserve at least a little disdain.) I agree with what others have said, the fact is it is very similar to FiM. But it just needed a little more tweaking for me to personally consider it a "good" show. (Or rather, "set of video specials." :) )
I'll put something here some time

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2014, 06:21:19 PM »
I think the g3 toys are pretty cute.  They have some lovely designs, especially the early ones and some nifty themes, like birth flowers and holidays.  :)

As for the cartoons?  I guess I fall somewhere in the middle.  I think A Very Minty Christmas is adorable.  The Rubaway Rainbow was okay.  I couldn't sit through Princess Promenade.  I think the earlier specials wre better, in the long run, even if they were simpler and girly.  At least they realized the ponies' faults and dealt with them.  The newer ones were too simple, IMHO and I got bored.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal