collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship Gardens CD-ROM discussion!  (Read 6433 times)

Offline Stars

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • 'You're special to me!' ~ Sweet Berry
    • View Profile
    • The Cave of the Past - My Blog
My Little Pony: Friendship Gardens CD-ROM discussion!
« on: February 16, 2014, 02:31:22 PM »
I couldn't find a thread of this through a quick search so I apologise if this is already being discussed somewhere.

My first experience of My Little Pony was through my also first experience of games - the Friendship Gardens cd-rom. For the uninitiated, this was a PC game released in 1998 and featured 5 Gen 2 ponies - Ivy, Light Heart, Sweet Berry, Sundance/Sun Sparkle and Morning Glory. You could raise your own pony, who you named and chose her colours. You grew her food, brushed her hair, gave her medicine, taught her how to jump, put her to bed, and when she was brave enough, take her over the bridge to Friendship Gardens.

There you and her could play in Ivy's Salon, Bake with Sweet Berry or play games with Light Heart in their cottage, dance with Sundance in her Dance Studio or create pictures with Morning Glory in the Schoolhouse. When she had done all these things, she could go over the rainbow to the rest of Ponyland. You'd never see her again but apparently you could get postcards from her (I never had this happen to me, so I do not know for sure)

I loved this game to pieces and all its little details. I love the music, especially when your pony sleeps. I also love the little books in Light Heart's house telling you about the ponies and giving you colouring sheets of them. My bug bear with it was that those books showed Morning Glory as this beautiful peach pony with lilac hair, when her model in the game looked nothing like that, and on the cover was purple with pink hair! Even her toys are pink with purple hair, not peach and lilac. I think that disappointed me as a child.

Does anyone else remember this game? Share your memories of it here!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you to Nence for my lovely Rosie Teapony and Shiverdam for my Rosie Seapony <3
3DS Friend Code: 1805 - 2156 - 2596 | Mii: Ellie | AC: Nellie - Town: Phenac | Pokemon Y: Eleanor

tinyblondie

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship Gardens CD-ROM discussion!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 02:36:26 PM »
I had this game (I dont know what happened to it) and I loved it. The ending always made me sad though so I just used to make the same pony over and over again so I could keep playing with her ^.^

Skitterbug

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 02:39:02 PM »
I still have my copy! It's right next to me in a drawer, actually. I remember being so upset as a child that I couldn't go over the bridge to the rest of ponyland. I was so sure there was more gameplay over there, and I could go do all the MOST AMAZING THINGS with my pony, but nope. She just left me behind.

Offline Stars

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • 'You're special to me!' ~ Sweet Berry
    • View Profile
    • The Cave of the Past - My Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 02:40:14 PM »
I have my copy too! It's stuck to my wall  :redface:

I only ever let one pony go over the rainbow, I got so upset about it I never let them go again!

Thank you to Nence for my lovely Rosie Teapony and Shiverdam for my Rosie Seapony <3
3DS Friend Code: 1805 - 2156 - 2596 | Mii: Ellie | AC: Nellie - Town: Phenac | Pokemon Y: Eleanor

tinyblondie

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 02:43:34 PM »
Maybe we started collecting due to the trauma of losing our game ponies, we just had to keep buying more and more ponies to fill the void in out hearts!  :silly:

Offline Watercolors

• Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Collector of G1 and G2!
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 02:50:31 PM »
I LOVED this game as a child, and I recently found it again at a thrift store last year. I really adored it, but I remember being disappointed that your pony couldn't be white!  I always wanted to make my favorite pony, Lightheart, but it could only be a icky grey color.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 03:23:20 PM »
I found a copy it works , but can be very slow and choppy on windows 7.

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 03:24:22 PM »
Ah, I loved this game! It always reminded me of Crystal's Pony Tale on the MegaDrive/Genesis :)

I was disappointed when I sent my pony over that blasted rainbow. She never came back, but she enjoyed sending me updates on how much fun she was having without me.

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline sweetiebabyfizzy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony Mommy, with a pony family...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 03:28:04 PM »
I remember this game! It was really cute and fun. I wish I could still play it, even if I had it I couldn't... I have a mac.

Offline CupcakeLoverXx

• Colorswirl Pony
  • Pony Lover since 2012!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 03:38:51 PM »
I have this from when I was little. I remember playing it all the time and I loved baking and decorating the cakes and growing food in the field. (Although growing cupcakes and pizza is totally unrealistic ;)) I still replay this game on odd occasions because it makes me so happy haha. Only thing I don't like is that blasted butterfly "You need to move your pony out of the way!" every time you try to set out a jump,even if it's nowhere near the pony!

I had (well,still do) the G3 Best Friends Ball game too but I much preferred Friendship Gardens.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 03:40:35 PM by CupcakeLoverXx »

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 05:47:05 PM »
I really wish someone would make this into a ROM!

Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 06:32:32 PM »
I found a copy it works , but can be very slow and choppy on windows 7.
Aww, I was just about to ask about this game's compatibility with Windows 7 but it sounds like it isn't very good.

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 06:45:54 PM »
I was a gen 1 kid, but I always did wonder about this pc game :) It sounds like it was delightful :D

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 06:49:14 PM »
I have this, I found it a few months ago when I was out thrifting and it works great on my Windows 7 :) I had never played it or even knew it existed prior to when I found it.

Offline cadance89

• Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 11:12:15 PM »
I remember playing it all the time and I loved baking and decorating the cakes and growing food in the field. (Although growing cupcakes and pizza is totally unrealistic ;))
Only thing I don't like is that blasted butterfly "You need to move your pony out of the way!" every time you try to set out a jump,even if it's nowhere near the pony!

Omigosh both of those are so true! Also if your pony got depressed and went to hide and you had to find her.
I loved the cake baking and the schoolhouse.

I've had a quick look on Youtube and lots of people have made videos of playing the game.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:14:18 PM by cadance89 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal