collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Color leaching on a deflocked Crumpet?  (Read 626 times)

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Color leaching on a deflocked Crumpet?
« on: February 14, 2014, 02:09:19 PM »
Before people get all up in arms about deflocking a Crumpet, this poor girl had practically no flocking anyway.  She was mostly down to just a rough covering of glue.  Actually, when I was just washing the bottoms of her feet in soap and warm water, her flocking just sloughed off in thick chunks! 

Anyway!  In removing the glue I always use acetone first for the parts not covering paint, and I noticed in several places Crumpet's body color seemed to be leaching out into the cotton ball.  At first I thought it was just yellow glue residue on there, but there are now a few lighter spots on Crumpet's body as well.  It isn't extremely noticeable since she isn't a super-dark yellow to begin with, but does anyone else have any experience with this?  Is Crumpet just a pony I'm going to have to be super-careful with as I complete the deflock process? 

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Color leaching on a deflocked Crumpet?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 03:18:14 PM »
*looks at her own deflocked Crumpet* :P She is so pretty this way! I didn't have any issues with her pigment when deflocking and I use a paint stripper and sugar soap combo which can be more aggressive than acetone. Cat takes no prisoners when deflocking :P

So you mean its as though the pigment in the plastic is coming out? Its not something I have heard of as common outside blue and purple based ponies which, as you know, it seems to happen with rather often. I have had a couple of cases with ponies - Sea Breeze, Hip Hop and I think it was Wind Drifter - who got an acetone and rubbing alchohol wipe down for various reasons and it stained the cotton ball I was using with the colour of their body. I just assumed sometimes the chemicals used and perhaps the break down of the plastic combine to cause some dye/pigment issues. Perhaps that, combined with the fact it sounds as though Crumpet has had some seriously glue break down problems [which have been eating into her plastic] have cause some unstable pigment problems.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 06:11:26 AM »
Weird.  Do you have pictures?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

DancingPhoenix

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 01:36:52 PM »
That's weird Skeen! I've only ever deflocked a North Star and a Shady and neither of those bled/leeched at all (though if any I always expect brightly colored ponies like Shady to). You should definitely post pictures!

Offline CopperBluJu

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 01:56:57 PM »
Is this what your are talking about? I was cleaning Lemondrop with acetone since she was so grungy and that was the result, I was so disgusted that I thought she was ruined that I did end up removing some paint. The pale side was just acetone cleaning like I had used on every pony the dark side is the color she is supposed to be, which is the color of all my other Lemondrops. I asked here and no one else seemed to know of this happening before.

Offline Lollipop

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • *Lollipop's for everypony*
    • View Profile
    • Wickstead's - Something Quintessentially Unique & Just That Little Bit Different
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 02:20:59 PM »
I wonder if they used a cheaper plastic sometimes. Maybe it was a bad batch of plastic or dye.
I actually used our washing powder in a bowl with boiling hot water (our washing powder is vanish the gold one i think)
It worked so well i used a toothbrush(hard) to get flocking off as thought of using my finger nails made me cringe. I deflocked magic star & gusty. Both were ok no colours coming off.
Maybe it was as i said a bad batch or a new dye they used. Just so weird hope its not as bad as copperblujus lemon drop that is quite scary O.O

Lollipop sent from her Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk
Lollipop
Wickstead's Wickstead's BLOG
:heart: :heart: :lovey: :heart: :heart:

Want/Wish List SALES Thread TRADES Thread :biggrin:

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 02:31:23 PM »
Is this what your are talking about? I was cleaning Lemondrop with acetone since she was so grungy and that was the result, I was so disgusted that I thought she was ruined that I did end up removing some paint. The pale side was just acetone cleaning like I had used on every pony the dark side is the color she is supposed to be, which is the color of all my other Lemondrops. I asked here and no one else seemed to know of this happening before.

:dropjaw: I can't believe that! Poor Lemon Drop, now I will ALWAYS test acetone on an inconspicuous area first.

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 04:23:47 PM »
I have had dye leech out of one pony when I cleaned her, and this was Seashell.  The magic eraser actually turned lavender!  I've heard of this happening to other people with Seashell and some other lavender ponies.  Lavender seems to be quite unstable as a pigment (presumably b/c of the red dye, although I've never seen pink ponies with the same issues as lavender ponies).  Anyway, that is odd that it happened with Crumpet.  And unfortunate since she's so sought-after and beautiful!  Glad it's not that bad.
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 06:47:23 PM »
hopefully it  wasnt an affect of   the soap  that was used to wash her.. or the fact shes just been sitting idle on a shelf    for a few  months..

but yeah when i gave her her   first bath  last year after pulling her out of the box  she had been in  i was trying to be gentle and the flocking just sorta fell off in my figners like it just disentigrated or something.

i think that the most flocking she had left was on her   back legs and her feet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal