collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Am I a Brony or Something Else? Help needed.  (Read 3271 times)

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
Re: Am I a Brony or Something Else? Help needed.
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2014, 02:21:40 PM »
When in doubt, choose 'squirrel'
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 (backcard by Ivy!)

BowtieG1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2014, 02:26:44 PM »
Every other fandom just sticks the word 'fandom' onto the end of what its about.
"Trekkies"
"Homestucks"
"Whovians"
"Twihards"
"Beliebers"
"Cheeseheads"
"Little Monsters"
"Colbert Nation"
"Whedonites"
I rephrase- most other fandoms just stick the word fandom on the end.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2014, 04:23:39 PM »

...or moose...
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2014, 05:17:57 PM »

...or moose...

watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2014, 06:10:53 PM »
Copied from the other thread about bronies:

My personal definitions:

Do you like pony toys?  Do you like collecting them?  Do you enjoy the show as a sideline to the toys you collect?
You're a collector.

Do you find yourself more drawn to the "fandom" rather than the source (toys, TV show)?
You're a brony.

Obviously there is some flexibility to the answers, because you can collect AND enjoy discussing the TV show with other fans, but I feel bronies are more into the social fandom aspect rather than collecting the toys. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Firehooves

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2014, 06:18:17 PM »
Brony or not Brony... if you ask me, you are what you CHOOSE to be! :)

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2014, 03:15:13 AM »
While ever I don't agree that society insists we all have labels, it unfortunately does so I do understand your need to want the right one. However, don't worry too much about it. If 'Brony' doesn't fit you now you've heard all the facts about what a Brony 'is' or is thought to be, then choose another.

I tend to call myself a collector because that's the part of Ponying that I'm more focused on (rather than the shows etc) but I've been known to refer to myself as all sorts of things, depending on who I'm talking to and the context of the conversation, such as Pony Lady, Crazy Pony Lady, Pony Nut, Pony Person etc. The point I'm rather inarticulately trying to make here is that you don't necessarily need to stick to one title, just describe yourself or what you do as you see fit at that moment. If you don't like 'Brony' any more because of the connotations just steer clear of that one and pick whatever comes to mind to describe the hobby when you're talking about it :)

Offline Rhubarbpie

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2014, 04:32:08 AM »
I agree that the term "brony" does tend to have negative associations because of the rabid ones and their bad habits/attitudes.  However the bronies I have met have been quite pleasant and seemed quite respective and interested in learning about previous gens, even though they have no intention of collecting them, they seemed to understand their importance in the MLP story.

I do not identify myself as a brony for many reasons, the highest one being my age!  I went to a Brony meet-up a couple of years ago when I first started collecting ponies (I started on G4).  I looked like a teacher out with her students  :lol:  seriously!! When we all got a little peckish and wanted something to each, I suggested we go for a pub meal (I am trying to diet and wanted something a little healthy like a nice salad or jacket spud) 90% of the group nervously shuffled about cos they were not old enough, so I had to be naughty and go to mcDonalds!!  So I feel I may be a bit old for the term Brony, I am a member of several FB brony pages and forums, and I do try and educate a little bit about older gens. 

wurmund

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2014, 01:17:38 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread. Being a dad eats up most of my time :)

I always thought the term brony was cute but with the hostility I encountered recently it, I just doesn't feel as inocent as it once did.

As for just being a fan, or acting arrogant, it wasn't my intent. I just meant that I'm a bigger fan of MLP than I am, for example, of cheeseburgers. Love both but when people ask me about my fandom, it's usually easier just to use a title. If I say I'm a Whovian, people understand what that means. I know I don't need to use a title, it's just easier to use a title to explain a fandom sometimes.

As to what to call myself, my wife has suggested Stallion. "Much more mature then Brony" Still, I dunno.. lol

Offline CrazyCatPony

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 1st step is to admit you have a problem, i dont :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2014, 02:23:09 PM »
I believe pony slave works well, you work really hard so you can shovel piles if money at hasbro.... Or in my case I'm a hasmattel slave I work they take my wallet in exchange for colorful plastic goodness :) ...,, addict seem to work well too..... XD (don't mind me I have problems)

G4Sweeties

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2014, 02:44:36 PM »

I believe pony slave works well, you work really hard so you can shovel piles if money at hasbro.... Or in my case I'm a hasmattel slave I work they take my wallet in exchange for colorful plastic goodness :) ...,, addict seem to work well too..... XD (don't mind me I have problems)
Lol pony slave, now that's accurate!
Someone on tumblr thought that stablemate was a good word for pony fans and I couldn't agree more! It's cute and gender neutral :)

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2014, 08:28:04 AM »
To Brony or not to Brony, that is the question...

Because of a few bad Bronies out there if you choose to apply that label to yourself you're gonna suffer some slings & arrows. That's just the way it is, sadly. I don't like labels myself, but if I had to I'd choose "Most supremely awesome 20% cooler pony person princess G1 for life, yo!"

(I like all gens but grew up with G1 so they're extra special to me :) )
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2014, 11:19:46 AM »
Copied from the other thread about bronies:

My personal definitions:

Do you like pony toys?  Do you like collecting them?  Do you enjoy the show as a sideline to the toys you collect?
You're a collector.

Do you find yourself more drawn to the "fandom" rather than the source (toys, TV show)?
You're a brony.

Obviously there is some flexibility to the answers, because you can collect AND enjoy discussing the TV show with other fans, but I feel bronies are more into the social fandom aspect rather than collecting the toys. 

100% agree!
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2014, 12:22:54 PM »
If you don't feel comfortable with brony label, don't use it :) If you don't feel comfortable with any other label, don't use them either! :)

Every fan has their own definition of fandom's label; some will say that you are automatically in a fandom just if you like the show/game/book whatever, while some will say that you have to take part in the community.
Good examples are both MLP and anime fandoms.
Some members here stated what they think about what differentiates bronies from collectors, while others don't care at all. Some bronies say that every person outside target audience who likes FiM is automatically a brony, while to others it's important that you strongly identify as one.
Anime fandom also seems to be divided, but between "otaku", generally the more serious fans, and "weeaboo", generally more fangirly fans. Not to mention that term otaku in Japanese (where originated) has quite different meaning than in the West!
I've seen some otaku labeling fans of more popular shows (just because of that!) as weeaboo while those same weeaboo considered themselves otaku.

If you haven't already guessed it, my point is that it's all relative.

I've liked MLP since forever. I'm a member of MLP collector comunity. I also have brony friends, go to meetups and I've even been to a con. Am I a brony or a collector? Who cares. I've fallen into "brony vs. collector" traps too many times, anyway.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2014, 10:18:10 AM »
You can call yourself whatever you want :) I am a collector, I am not a either one of them two new names for pony people. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal