collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Shapeways?  (Read 255 times)

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Shapeways?
« on: February 12, 2014, 03:24:03 PM »
So I've got a model I want printed and I wanted to use Shapeways, but I was curious as to whether or not anyone else has any experiences with them?

I've heard mixed reviews about them, some people say it all goes smoothly, others have complained that they've been constantly asked to redo their models over and over again just to fit within their machine's specifics.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Shapeways?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 05:48:03 PM »
Never used them but I can give this a bump.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 09:01:10 AM »
Yes!

They are very friendly and such, the only thing to watch out for is Duty. You will get nailed nomatter what.

--just going ot clarify, it wasn't my design, it was something someone else had created, so I cant say if they 'messed up my design' or not.  But I will say tha I spent a few hours cleaning the items I got because they were intricate and a lot of the tiny holes had the excess material inside.

Its not hard to clean though..just takes awhile.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline iluvponiez

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 12:04:32 PM »
They're really good. I highly recommend them.

To be fair though- the redoing models, that should happen with ANY company and it's frankly good that they DO make you. See, they do it because of how the 3D printers work. It keeps you from being charged for excess material used. Also, ALL companies- I've used three different ones- will send you files back for repairs if there's certain issues. 3D models that look visually fine many times will have issues being printed because of how the machines WORK. It'd happen with any printer, and it'd happen if you tried to print it at home on a 3D printer you own.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal