collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why exactly are pony tails fizzy?  (Read 2246 times)

Offline okamigirl64

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • "I used to wonder what friendship could be."
    • View Profile
Why exactly are pony tails fizzy?
« on: February 09, 2014, 05:21:17 AM »
I've been wondering for a while if anyone knows why exactly the new G4s have fizzy tails. Is it because they are using cheaper material or something else?

Also does anyone know how to get rid of it? Tips would be much appreciated!  :)

Offline ZapAppleMedia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Why exactly are pony tails fizzy?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 06:24:13 AM »
I am just gonna bump this because all my g4's have fizzy tails and I'd really like to know why and how I can stop them.

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+212)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 08:48:17 AM »
I think this just affects the newer ones. I have all the brushables (except for the main six duplicates) and only the newer ones have weird tails. The worst one of mine is Twist. Besides her hair feeling dry, it's also a completely different shade of red from her mane and it's not as shiny, either. I tried using conditioner on her tail and while it helped some with the frizz, because of the different color and lack of shine the mane has, it still doesn't look great. The earlier releases, the tails and manes were the same material and will stay silky as long as they're not overly abused.

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 08:59:51 AM »
Sounds like it's terrible quality plastic they are using in the hair...  :(
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline okamigirl64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 09:03:35 AM »
Sounds like it's terrible quality plastic they are using in the hair...  :(

I don't know but its driving me crazy…. I hope they fix this soon….

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 09:05:41 AM »
Is it the same stuff as the EQG Long hair Rainbow dash? We got one for my daughter and the hair is just this fuzzy, cotton ball, "S*&#" that you cant brush because it comes out in clumps. And there were a bunch of hair plugs that were completely missing, the holes were just empty. I was sooo disappointed.
I had planned on getting her one(delux) of each character, but if the rest of them have the same hair Im not going to waste the money.

Offline okamigirl64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 09:08:38 AM »
Is it the same stuff as the EQG Long hair Rainbow dash? We got one for my daughter and the hair is just this fuzzy, cotton ball, "S*&#" that you cant brush because it comes out in clumps. And there were a bunch of hair plugs that were completely missing, the holes were just empty. I was sooo disappointed.
I had planned on getting her one(delux) of each character, but if the rest of them have the same hair Im not going to waste the money.

I don't know since I only have 2 EQD dolls (the doll and pony sets which both have very nice hair). I will upload a picture of what I'm talking about.  ^.^

BowtieG1

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 09:13:30 AM »
Its only the newer G4's. I have a few early G4's that have great tails, and all of my older gen ponies have nice tails.

Its just Hasbro cutting yet more costs on the current line of ponies, they use a lower quality hair fiber for the tails. I'm pretty sure they use the same nylon as Bratz and Bratzillaz use (bad).

This, the awful quality control, and lack of new characters is making me think that the end of G4 is oncoming. Its what G3 looked like before it died.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 09:18:56 AM by BowtieG1 »

Offline okamigirl64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 09:22:56 AM »
Its only the newer G4's. I have a few early G4's that have great tails, and all of my older gen ponies have nice tails.

Its just Hasbro cutting yet more costs on the current line of ponies, they use a lower quality hair fiber for the tails. I'm pretty sure they use the same nylon as Bratz and Bratzillaz use (bad).

This, the awful quality control, and lack of new characters is making me think that the end of G4 is oncoming. Its what G3 looked like before it died.

Thats what I thought. Does anyone know how to fix this though?

Btw here's my best example :

Sweetie treats (I think thats her name) is one I got recently:

When compared to a 2011 sweetie belle, the tail is more fizzy.

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 10:06:00 AM »
I'm selling off my G4 collection because of issues like this one. I'm not going to throw my hard earned dollars on crap. However, to fix the problem i have had luck with thick conditioner and a flat iron. Worked pretty well, actually :)

Offline okamigirl64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 10:10:10 AM »
I'm selling off my G4 collection because of issues like this one. I'm not going to throw my hard earned dollars on crap. However, to fix the problem i have had luck with thick conditioner and a flat iron. Worked pretty well, actually :)

I've tried conditioner, but not a flat iron. Il definitely need to try that out.  ^.^

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 12:03:57 PM »

Unfortunately some of the EQG dolls have this "bad hair" problem. It's not the same as frizzy tails in the pony line, but it can still be fixed if you very carefully comb and soak in conditioner for a while. All of my EQG dolls, bad hair or good hair, have shed a fair amount upon first combing. Also the hair plug design of EQG means that they do a "hair curtain" - there's a thicker row of plugs around the sides of the head and where they want to do a part, but underneath the curtain the plugs are very thin and sparse, especially on the back of the head which can be nearly bald on some dolls. This is by design, there aren't meant to be more plugs and they aren't supposed to be thicker filled in. :huh: It's low quality but I guess five year olds don't care.

Back on the subject of bad hair, Deluxe Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy, the double pack with Twilight and Sunset, and long hair Rainbow Dash are the ones I've personally gotten with bad hair. I've also heard that some of the early basic dolls had bad hair, but mine were all nice and silky out of the box. Deluxe Rainbow Dash with the black/pink boots has good hair, as well as Deluxe Fluttershy with the clear butterfly wings accessory. Deluxe RD with the red/silver boots and Deluxe FS with the purple wings almost always have bad hair in my experience. The double pack has been found in both good and bad hair versions, I personally bought one with both dolls having bad hair, and then found a discounted set with good hair Twilight/bad hair Sunset. So perhaps Sunset is rarer to find with good hair, I haven't seen one on shelves yet. The only one yet to have a good hair version is the long hair Rainbow Dash.

The key to finding good hair is to compare the boxes with one you know has good hair like a basic doll (I think most stores carry both Basic and Deluxe so you should be able to look before you buy) - good hair should look super shiny and bouncy, especially if curled. Tilting them in the store light should give you a good indication of the sheen. The bad hair Twilight has her bangs glued down and they look super duper flat and straight, the good hair version has them glued but because they are so bouncy they often come up off the forehead a bit. I have also found that my Deluxe RD with bad hair has a strip of dull olive green hair on the side of her head, whereas all other RD dolls that I've seen have a bright apple green strip. I've got a good hair Deluxe RD on the way in the mail, so I'll be checking if she's apple or olive. Apple green might be another indication of good hair (except on long hair Dash who has it regardless). Older versions of Deluxe Fluttershy have a dark pink hair whereas newer versions have a lighter, almost salmony pink colour that is present on the Basic doll as well. I'm not sure if light hair means good hair, I haven't found a light hair Deluxe myself yet.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 12:06:25 PM by prancingstag »

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 12:27:22 PM »
All the ponies from the Cutie Mark Crusaders set (the one with Silver Spoon) have terribly frizzy tails! Especially Twist :shocked: They didn't used to be like that with the first releases, but maybe Hasbro is buying cheaper hair :(
My Wish List

Offline CupcakeLoverXx

• Colorswirl Pony
  • Pony Lover since 2012!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 12:29:55 PM »
Yeah,I think Hasbro just changed the material in the new ponies. I got a Sunset Shimmer with a really dry tail and I tried conditioner too but it didn't work :( I ended up buying another when they went on sale but hers isn't that much better.
At least it's not as bad as the tail on one of my Rainbow Dash's (the one that came with Princess Twilight),it was like this literally out of the box ._. I've tried trimming it slightly,washing with water and conditioner and although it lies flat and mostly straight now,it is completely fizzy and not silky at all :(

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 12:32:50 PM »
But why use different quality hair for the mane and tail? That just doesn't make sense to me.  :enthralled: :wonder:

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal