collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony-buying ethics?  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
Pony-buying ethics?
« on: February 04, 2014, 07:00:25 PM »
So I've been pondering pony-buying ethics for a while. Like, I think it's okay to buy a rare pony on Ebay for less than it's worth, like if you had a great buy-it-now or you spotted it hidden in a lot or something . . . it just seems like that goes with the territory on Ebay.

But what about at a flea market, or a charity shop? If I saw a Sweet Scoops, for example, at a flea market booth for $2, and the seller looked like a normal person, maybe a mom trying to make some money? I don't know . . . I just would feel bad about buying such a rare pony; it would be like I was stealing or something. Or at a charity shop, when they could be making so much more money for their cause if they knew how much the pony was worth . . .

Or, for instance, I found a Craigslist lot that had the Perm Shoppe in its box for $15. That's not stupendously rare or anything, but I just felt a little weird since it can actually go for more than $15 and if I took it for that much I'd be cheating the lady. (That deal didn't end up working out because she'd decided not to sell it.)

So what are your thoughts? :lookround:

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Pony-buying ethics?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 07:30:55 PM »
I wonder this all the time. I have no idea what I would do. I'd like to think I'd tell the seller, but probably I'd just buy the pony. :\

Maybe one could talk to the seller, ask about why they're selling, do they ever consider selling on eBay, did these belong to their kids? Then your decision can be influenced by whether or not the seller is friendly, whether they have kids to support, if they even have the means to sell their ponies, etc.

Whenever I fantasize about this kind of scenario, I make sure to imagine the seller is some jerk who hates puppies and tries to rip off a child or something. XD  Then I reassure myself with, "Don't worry, the more you dream about finding a rare pony, the less likely it is going to happen!"

I'll put something here some time

Offline Summer-blade

• Trade Count: (+40)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=100000958584055
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 07:32:17 PM »
hummm this could apply to a lot of things not just ponies bought second hand. In the flea market and places like Craigslist most people don't expect to get full retail for what they are selling. However there is no harm in telling someone that their price is a little low and offering them more if you feel the need. I have done this a few times but only with 'newbies' at the flea market.

That being said, there is still nothing wrong with a good deal and I have made out like a bandit on pony deals from other toy dealers I know and from Goodwill.

I would say it all depends on the situation, some sellers don't care if they're not getting full price they're just 'getting rid of their junk' 

CottonTALE

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 07:35:34 PM »
For me, I try my best to help any confused parents if they are in the pony aisle with me. That way, they know the difference for ponies so their kid doesn't get any unwanted duplicates.

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 07:37:24 PM »
I wouldn't have a problem with it. If i were at a boot sale and saw a bunch of G1 ponies for a buck a piece, I'd buy them with no black stain on my conscience. I mean, they were selling it because they want it out of the house...they'd either get the money I or someone else gave them, or they'd end up at thrift. It's a win win for us both as it lies. They coud have done research if they wanted to, and who knows? Maybe they did.
If it were at a flea I'd have NO problem buying because if they're going to sell and pay for a booth and all that, then they should research aall their items. That's how i feel about that.
If it were at a thrift it'd be the same. They get all their items, pretty much, for free, so they're making money no matter what. If it bothered me, I'd make a donation and call it even. Plus i could write it off as tax deductable :)

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 07:41:33 PM »
If it were Sweet Scoops, I would definitely just go ahead and say, 'wow! this one is worth a lot, you need to look her up! She probably goes for ____.' But that's just me. If it's drastic, I would definitely say something. Not doing so is just terrible to me :lol:

If it were like $30 'rare' I probably wouldn't unless it was dirt cheap.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 07:48:15 PM »
For me, I try my best to help any confused parents if they are in the pony aisle with me. That way, they know the difference for ponies so their kid doesn't get any unwanted duplicates.

I did this at TRU and WalMart at Christmas time...I ended up staying there for over an hour because people would ask for help as soon as i was done with someone else! It felt good, so i guess that (and when i do it any other time of year) cancels any pony guilt I may get...though I've never had any :lol:

Offline STLGusty

• Hockey Pony
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 07:50:13 PM »
My personal opinion is that you should know what you're selling.  For example, I have some random Barbie stuff that I have no clue what it's worth...I can either sell it at a yard sale for $2/piece (or whatever) *or* I can take time and do my research to find out what it's worth (if anything).  I think it all depends on whether I'd rather invest time and effort into researching something - oooor if I'd just be content with getting $2/piece (or $1/pony, etc.).  If I can get a good deal because the seller didn't do research, I think that's a good break for me :) 

Now, this doesn't ever happen to me, so it doesn't really matter I guess, lol!!!  Apparently 99% of the people in our area think their ponies must be made of pure gold. :P

claricesponies

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 08:25:56 PM »
Honestly, I love a Great Deal! I would buy the pony and not feel bad about it at all. I am the one who took the time to learn about ponies so if someone sold a rare pony for $1 than woo hoo, what a bargain! :biggrin:

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 09:02:52 PM »
they are getting rid of the pony , they hold no liability if something ends up being wrong with the pony ,there is no returns, there is no fees they have to deal with or policies to sell them on ebay ,there is no shipping :)  ,so there is no headaches for the seller :), there should not be guilt for the buyers :)
even if you tell them to try and sell on ebay, they might not even want to deal with online sales  :(
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 09:28:23 PM »
I think a lot of that is just finding ways to justify it even though a lot of us probably know it's kinda iffy, but :shrug: Wish more people were honest on the big things.

I didn't even know of Sweet Scoops until recently and I have a massive g1 collection that I've been adding to for like 15 years. So if that seller was looking at ponies on Ebay to try to find out how much it's worth, most of them are what, $6 maybe? Who would guess you have one of the few worth hundreds?

There are plenty of people who aren't as savvy as we are online, especially older generations. Even as much as my mom is online she's clueless with looking things up well. And yeah, I know a lot of people will still say 'it's still your responsibility to find out what it's worth.' Sure. I just think it's nice if you help people out, personally. There is no possible way I could hold my tongue if I found Sweet Scoops.

Basically, I think if we for example saw a stranger grossly overpaying for something, we would definitely speak up! Or if we saw someone selling something really valuable to someone else or were considering it say and the person walked away for something but was going to come back, I bet most of us would speak up too, automatically. But when we're the one getting the deal it seems people start to march more to the tune of "well they should have researched better."

I dunno, anyway.  :P
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:41:06 PM by ponycake »

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 10:18:30 PM »
this might sound harsh, but if you don't do the research to try and get the most out of an item your selling, you get what you get.

if you have plate your grandma used everyday and you sell it for 50 cents at a garage sale and find out its worth 50$, it's really your own fault for not checking. cuz things become common place for us, we assume they don't have value for others either. so i don't feel bad if i find something for a good price.

there have been things i've sold for super cheap just cuz i want to get rid of them. even if they are worth more. i'm not putting the work in, so i don't deserve the extra money for it. just my thought.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 10:21:00 PM by rosierjay »

Offline Roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 10:26:46 PM »
I dunno id like to tell the person what they have is worth a lot.. but there is another part of me that sees something for a good deal and just wants to get it.
i guess id have to just think about it.. my good nature would probably get the better of me tho.

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 10:39:27 PM »
My opinion is that it's the seller's responsibility to research what they're selling, this goes for overpricing just as much as underpricing. I've sold old things that I know someone would pay a higher price for, heck I've donated things too, because I don't have the time to research and ebay them and I'd rather someone else enjoy them. Ponies are the only items I'd devote time to researching.

Plus some people don't care to make a profit, they don't think 'vintage ponies, they must be worth hundreds!', they just want to sell them. I've bought brand new videogames that have never been played for $2 when they are clearly worth over $50, but the stall owner didn't care, they were just trying to clear the clutter. :P
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 10:55:45 PM »
Personally I would give the seller more at a flea market situation if I knew the pony was worth more.. that is just me : ) In saying that the seller sets the price to what they want so they are happy and you should not feel bad.. where I think its wrong is bartering down a pony for peanuts when you know its worth.. that's not cool.

I will confess that when I have won things of ebay for a stupidly low price, I have asked the seller there address and sent a small gift,  I like to share the love.

I don't believe people selling things need to do there research on a pony, its really tricky when you don't know much about them, I tried to id some barbie stuff and I didn't even find one match.. its really not easy I don't understand why so many people say this

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal