collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rehairing Nirvanas  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Pythia

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Rehairing Nirvanas
« on: January 28, 2014, 04:53:19 PM »
So, I'm just wondering what people's opinions are on the old rehairing nirvanas issue!
Do you rehair without a second thought? Are you adamantly opposed? Do you fall somewhere in the middle?

Personally, I don't really agree with rehairing nirvanas, but obviously it's going to depend on the condition. Completely bald, I don't have a problem with, but rehairing just because the original hair is a bit dry or has a bit of a trim does bug me.

I probably wouldn't buy a rehaired nirvana because I feel it takes away a lot of originality and authenticity from a HTF, sought after, collectible item, and I feel it is, essentially a form of customisation. Of course, there's always going to be exceptions to the rule! ;) But for me, personally, I'd rather have dry hair or a hair cut than a rehair.
But in the end, any pony is the owner's property to do what they wish with.

So, how about you? Where do you stand on the issue?
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
Re: Rehairing Nirvanas
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 05:34:31 PM »
I agree with you and right now I'm facing a bit of a conundrum, myself. I just got Peru Starshine in the mail today and i'm over the moon with her...she did take a *lot* of flat ironing to get her tail to being beautiful again since it was an absolute bird's nest when she got here :)
Unfortunately, though her mane is 3/4 perfect the green streak was severely snarled and frazzed and after doing everything i could with the flat iron, that section of her hair is about an inch shorter than the rest! So do i leave it, or should i have her green stripe rehaired? I was going to post a thread of my own, but since this thread essentially beat me to it... :P
Input from y'all Nirvana peeps would be very welcome!

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 08:00:54 PM »
Personally, to me it would boil down to what pony it was.  I'm in the process of rehairing a UK Applejack (in the collectors pose) that had an entire half of her mane cut down to the scalp - she's got a lovely body, she's pretty common, I don't plan on selling her anytime soon, and so I'm not worried that I'm destroying some priceless, expensive pony.  I gave some thought to filling in the empty plugs missing in my Greek Bluebell, but reconsidered it when I learned that it's common with Greeks.  Would I do it to my yellow Puruvian Medley with her crazy afro, or to something like a Ladybird or sitting Bow Tie who may have had a haircut?  Not a chance.

Offline Endocat

• Trade Count: (+43)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 09:00:30 PM »
If it where completely bald then I will rehair, if minor hair trim I leave.  I have given partial rehairs (matching colours where possible), and I use a method with no glueing, and easy to see inside head it is a rehair, and easy to remove new hair if undesirable. 

SeashellnBubbles - the green hair on Peru ponies is commonly like that.  I have a near mint Peru Starshine and her green stripe is fuzzy, rest of hair is like she was de-carded yesterday. 
Most Wanted: retro release Starshine

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 10:20:39 PM »
I have rehaired two Nirvanas... both of them the same pony... the orange Argie Rock pony. The first one I got and she had a buzzed mane and her tail was fine. So, I was okay with her for a while... but then I found another Argie Rock pony with like 6 plugs at the base of her mane missing... so, I took the tail of the 1st pony, used it to rehair the second one so I had one with "original Argie hair" and because the first one was buzzed, I figured I'd rehair her. Issue is, that Argie pony doesn't have the same colors as like DH sells or anything, so I wasn't actually able to match her hair perfectly, but I made her close, crimped it as she had originally and did sell her at the Pony Fair this past year... but, unless the pony is like buzz cut and now I know I can match the color, I probably would pass on rehairing one.

Oh also, that's also meaning if I didn't buy a Nirvana SPECIFICALLY to rehair, which happens with other ponies that I want specifically but I just haven't really rehaired many Nirvanas because of their price.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:23:10 PM by Sunshine »
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline BerryMouse

• Starry-eyed idealist pony
  • Trade Count: (+622)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • BerryMouse Custom Ponies & more
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 10:55:08 PM »
The Nirvanas I'd rehaired were all bald - so nope, no second thought ;)
All my others with missing streaks or dry hair stay as they are.
That's how I handle it but I don't blame anyone for rehairing them all.
Your pony, your decision =)
BerryMouse Custom Ponies on Facebook
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BERRY'S SALE TOPIC

Offline Nappercasper

• Oh Happy Tails
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 03:35:31 AM »
Personally I won't buy rehaired ponies. But I still feel if the owner wants to rehair there pony it is there choice and should not feel guilty doing so. Kids lopped of hair without a second thought... What's the real difference :/

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 09:48:22 AM »
I won't buy a rehaired pony. In the past I unknowingly bought rehairs that were not properly marked or disclosed by the sellers. I think rehairing ponies can lower the over-all integrity of collecting... there's a limited number of old toys in the world today & changing their original condition is irreversible. If I'm going to spend the money on a HTF pony, I want it in all original condition, even if that condition is less than perfect. 

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 10:14:23 AM »
Your pony, your choice. Rehairing will always lower the value of the pony, as far as I know. Personally, I would gladly buy a re-haired nirvana, as long as the price reflects this. :)
I'll put something here some time

Offline shelti

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+1687)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 10:55:22 AM »
I won't buy a rehaired pony. In the past I unknowingly bought rehairs that were not properly marked or disclosed by the sellers. I think rehairing ponies can lower the over-all integrity of collecting... there's a limited number of old toys in the world today & changing their original condition is irreversible. If I'm going to spend the money on a HTF pony, I want it in all original condition, even if that condition is less than perfect.

Totally Agree with KitKat on this.
If there was a standard for people marking them great but too many don't
Shel-t* Ponies

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 12:03:01 PM »
There have been quiet a few threads on this topic, here are a few you might find useful.

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,334598.0.html

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,301703.0.html

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,326742.0.html

Yes rehairing does decrease the value of a pony, but how much the value is decreased by depends on the pony that has been rehaired.

I think that most nirvana collectors prefer original hair, not matter how short or frizzy it is.

It is a very personal thing, whilst most of my ponies have original hair I don't mind a rehair.

I do restore and customise ponies. I will only customise a truly bait pony and when I restore I will do the minimum to the pony, such as I will only replace paint where there is paint missing. With hair I much prefer to condition and straighten a ponies hair over rehairing.

I do quite often rehair or fix up ponies for people and I will mark them. I have always tried to at least initialled any pony I've worked on, unless at the request of the pony's owner. I have had people get very angry with me for marking ponies before now, so I ask and then I have to put my trust in the person I am working for.

At the end of the day it is up to the owner what they do with their ponies. But I would encourage people to not rehair if they plan to sell the pony on and if they do rehair to mark the pony.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline jjponies

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 04:13:52 PM »
I normally won't re-hair a pony either. I would like the new hair look, but it's re-sale value goes down too much. I did have PKW do a re-hair for me, but it was on a common Italian Cotton Candy, and I had her change the hair to magenta. But this was because I wanted a "place holder"  until I could get the real deal. Of course she is marked re-hair on the bottom foot by PKW, which is totally fine to me. But to me that makes the Cotton Candy I have a "custom", not original. Later, I was able to get an original Italian Cotton Candy with the magenta hair and the price I paid reflects her originality. I also have an Italian blue Lickety Split that has a little mane trim. I will NOT re-hair her because then her value would go down to below what I paid for her, plus I like to keep them original like that. If it's only a couple strands, or a bald pony, I say go ahead and re-hair if you like it. I don't think it would affect value too much for a restoration, unless it was a super rare pony like Greek Ladybird or a South African pony and the like. Super-rare ponies should remain original.

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 08:01:58 PM »
I'm still debating rehairing the green...her tail came out Ok, but the fact that her mane is so smooth, soft and fuxe, and then *blammo* grotty green...I dunno. I'll send her off, i think and see what my miracle worker has to say about matching the color :) but I'd only do it with a matching green.

Offline Pythia

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 09:49:52 PM »

This is pretty much how I feel about it. :)

There was a discussion on the MLP Arena facebook page recently where someone mentioned that they are going to rehair a couple of Argies with what a lot of people thought still had pretty good hair. It's just interesting to see people's differing opinions.
While I dagree that in the end, it's the owner's decision to do what they like with their ponies, I do think there ideally needs to be some kind of...community awareness and responsibility? If every pony that has slightly dry hair or a minor haircut gets rehaired, pretty soon there wouldn't be any full originals left!
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 04:44:40 AM »
I'm still debating rehairing the green...her tail came out Ok, but the fact that her mane is so smooth, soft and fuxe, and then *blammo* grotty green...I dunno. I'll send her off, i think and see what my miracle worker has to say about matching the color :) but I'd only do it with a matching green.

What is it with the Peru green? It is so prone to going frizzy, it is also very delicate and you need to be REALLY careful using a flat iron when straightening it :)

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal