collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G3.5--Will they be worth something in the future?  (Read 2023 times)

Offline Doodlebug

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
G3.5--Will they be worth something in the future?
« on: January 24, 2014, 06:50:56 PM »
Anyone else wonder if the G3.5 ponies will be worth something in the future since they were only produced for a short while? Or were there just too many of them to be anything special?
~ Romans 10:9 ~ WANTED: G3 DESERT PALM

Offline Tiffymh1fan

• Trade Count: (+116)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Im attracted to shinny glitter
    • View Profile
Re: G3.5--Will they be worth something in the future?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 06:58:43 PM »
Ive not put much thought to that question, But over all I think they will be sought after, being that they are a pony, but I think it will not be popular like the G1s. It just depends on each person & what they are into... A lot of people didn't like the line. The line didn't  bother me & my daughter likes them so I wont look for them in the future.
Glitter for everyone! :fireworks:

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 07:44:29 PM »
I'd say it's hard to say, BUT my guess would be that they won't be very sought after.  There were enough of them made so that they won't be rare (at least not anytime soon), and I just don't see them having much appeal given how many MLPs there are and their reception to date.  A good comparison might be BBE G1 babies, who sold well enough (and are thus easy enough to acquire), but they were weird-looking in 1986 and remain weird-looking (and not very popular) in 2014! :)
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 12:02:44 AM »
Maybe, maybe not. It's difficult to predict the enduring appeal of certain ponies. Being only released for a year or so might make them rarer, but on the other hand they were mass-produced the modern way, but on the other hand not many collectors kept mint examples of them, but on the other other hand sets warmed the shelves for a good long while and might not be too difficult to find (at least near me, some stores still have unsold stock).

"Differently" styled ponies like the Sweetheart Sisters and G2s still have plenty of people that love to collect them and they hold some value and appeal. Personally I'm not fond of any 3.5s except for the three mommy ponies, but then again when I first learnt about the earlier gens I disliked SHS and Flutters and G2s and all sorts of ponies that I've come to love. So maybe new waves of collectors that come in on G5 will have a fondness for ye olde newborn cuties and bellbottom legs? Maybe current collectors in another decade will have some nostalgia for the poor hydrocephalic things. :lol: Unfortunately it's just one of those social trends that is impossible to predict and may never come about, or may happen sooner than you think.

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 02:33:40 AM »
I doubt it, personally.

G4Sweeties

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 07:19:37 AM »
Well I won't buy them :\

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 08:26:19 AM »
When I acquire a 3.5, I do keep it in my collection if I don't have one already. But there are a lot of them out there and they're not particularly sought after... that's a strike for two aspects of collectibles being valuable.

I suppose I could see certain 3.5s commanding more of a price than others, but at the moment they're almost as bad as McPonies, where it's hard to even give them away. ... I do still want Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie's mom, though...
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 09:25:56 AM »
G2s weren't really popular when they came out, but now are more sought after, so there could be a chance :)
Maybe some older collectors can point out differences between "un-popularity" of G2 and G3.5 which would lead to possible prediciton of 3.5 future :wonder:

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 01:05:26 PM »
Personally I can't abide them so...my money's on 'no'  :P
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline StarDapple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Bah Weep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 01:10:12 PM »
I don't think they will ever be very valuable, seeing as they are the least popular gen (at least from what I've seen).  But who knows, I never thought that Furbies would come back into style, and look where we are!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 04:19:18 PM »
I think its impossible to say for certain. But I would put all my money on "no and not worth any more than they are now". There were loads of collectors about when they hit shelves so there are plenty in the hands of collectors, they are just about everyone's least favourite generation and typically they struggle to sell on a second hand market. They also exist in very large numbers which decreases rarity. So a lack of desirability combined with high numbers most likely equates to a pretty valueless item unfortunately. :(
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 04:27:49 PM »
I think its impossible to say for certain. But I would put all my money on "no and not worth any more than they are now". There were loads of collectors about when they hit shelves so there are plenty in the hands of collectors, they are just about everyone's least favourite generation and typically they struggle to sell on a second hand market. They also exist in very large numbers which decreases rarity. So a lack of desirability combined with high numbers most likely equates to a pretty valueless item unfortunately. :(

More for those of us who don't think they look like devil spawn. They're far from my favorite but they've grown on me, and they have their good points-- like their thick manes!
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline UrocyonFox

• Zombie BBE Pony
  • Trade Count: (+142)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Urocyonfox's Artwork
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 11:53:39 PM »
I'd say it's hard to say, BUT my guess would be that they won't be very sought after.  There were enough of them made so that they won't be rare (at least not anytime soon), and I just don't see them having much appeal given how many MLPs there are and their reception to date.  A good comparison might be BBE G1 babies, who sold well enough (and are thus easy enough to acquire), but they were weird-looking in 1986 and remain weird-looking (and not very popular) in 2014! :)

I think I point this out every time I see a post about BBEs. I am always hunting them down and loving them so hopefully there will be a g3.5 lover out there that loves them regardless and collects them like I do BBEs!

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 02:11:51 AM »
I don't think anything from g3 on will be worth much in the future because of the easy access to online purchasing and selling. I really only think that g1 will be hold it's value or increase. But since the internet was pretty much in full swing the time they came out, it was so easy to get them or sell them. I think it's true to most "collectible" things in this era.
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 02:32:16 AM »
G3 is pretty much dirt in the 2nd hand market. You can hardly sell any of the normal ones, so don't even talk about the G3.5. They need to take a queue number.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal