collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Year of the Horse mlp G1 pony discusssion; Mimic  (Read 2043 times)

Offline Firehooves

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
Year of the Horse mlp G1 pony discusssion; Mimic
« on: January 24, 2014, 11:33:08 AM »
All right pony fans, for this third installment of this thread, I'm throwing out a pony who recieved only a little media attention during the G1 era, yet is a mare well known to collectors. I speak of the G1 unicorn Mimic, who is one of the rarest ponies for G1 collectors to get ahold of.

A twinkle-eyed pony with a light green/yellowish body and multicolored mane, this pony from year five is a must have for many collectors. The parrot on her flank and her name gave us an indication she was some king of mimicking/copycat pony who could imitate sounds, but we were never given any indication of this.

Ironically the character's lone cartoon appearance elevated the character's importance and backstory, to the point that she might potentially be the most powerful unicorn in Dream Valley, after Majesty herself. It appears that Mimic is Descended from a unicorn from the land of Argyte, who possesed four magical golden horseshoes that let her fly, turn invisible, see the future, etc. This unicorn was taken by a magical whirlwind to Dream Valley, losing her horseshoes along the way, and her bloodline apprently stayed there until Mimic was born.

Sadly, Mimic's health was tied to the horeshoes, and the Moochick declared that an illness the unicorn came down with, could only be cured by bringing the four horseshoes together again. Through several adventures, Megan and the other ponies were able to recover the lost horseshoes, and cure Mimic by placing them on her hooves. Thus leaving the unicorn with levels of power few ponies have achieved before or since.

So, what is your opinion on Mimic? Is she the holy grail pony that you're still seeking? Should she have come with the golden horseshoes from the cartoon? (though if you had the Dream Castle Playset, you could just have used that set) Discuss this very rare and elusive unicorn here!  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 04:13:42 PM by Firehooves »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
Re: Year of the Horse mlp G1 pony discusssion; Mimic
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 11:38:05 AM »
Okay I am gonna get pummeled by fakies here but... I think Mimic is a bit overrated for a pony who came out as a regular run release in stores.

She's LOVELY, I love unicorns, I love her colors, and I love Twinkle Eyes - so don't get me wrong, I definitely think she's a beautiful pony!

She just... her prices as of lately are crazy high in my opinion, I paid way way less than that for her when I got her about 10 years ago and even then I thought she was on the high side for a pony that was sold in stores. But, I love seeing pictures of her, I love seeing people find her and achieve their goal of having her - I just hope some people can score a deal on that gal!

*hides under covers*
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline starflyer425

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 11:58:55 AM »
Why oh WHY is she so rare! i love lime green and she has a parrot cutie mark... PLUS she's a twinkle eye pony! those are all my favorite things! i just wish somebody would find some hidden cove of 100000 mimics so she could become common and less pricey. (though id probably faint if i found that... and im sure the collectors who paid hundreds for her would too!  :shocked:)

she is only topped by my love for whizzer.  :p

Avatar credit to BotchanMLP on DeviantArt, and the Starflyer equestria girl is by LordBlumiere here on the arena!

Offline TinyShinyUnique

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • UniqueSubtleTreasures
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 01:02:06 PM »
Okay I am gonna get pummeled by fakies here but... I think Mimic is a bit overrated for a pony who came out as a regular run release in stores.

She's LOVELY, I love unicorns, I love her colors, and I love Twinkle Eyes - so don't get me wrong, I definitely think she's a beautiful pony!

She just... her prices as of lately are crazy high in my opinion, I paid way way less than that for her when I got her about 10 years ago and even then I thought she was on the high side for a pony that was sold in stores. But, I love seeing pictures of her, I love seeing people find her and achieve their goal of having her - I just hope some people can score a deal on that gal!

*hides under covers*

She is going for quite cheap nowadays than what she could go for 5 years ago :silly:

She is... Very, very pretty in person. No picture does he justice. She has that magical aura when you hold her in your hands and it's easy to fall for her when she is actually in your possession. Her lime-green together with the yellow, red, pink and green in her hair and complementary red of her parrot is just a wonderful color combination. Add the Twinkle eyes, her background story from the show and it's easy to have her as a favorite.

I think the fact she isn't so common and that she is hard to find in a completely mint condition and her price are making her legendary too - and as a collector I also got into 'get Mimic' phase. That said, it wasn't that hard for me to let her go either - I still think she's stunning and that I might get her again when I figure out a pony family for her, but for now, I'm happy she's in a better home where she's cherished and loved.

She was never mine holy grail nor will be, but she's gorgeous. /goes back to studying

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 02:40:14 PM »
I had her as a kid so I missed the whole "must get Mimic" thing.  I never liked her back then to play with because she was never looking at the other ponies.  I often used her and Sweet Tooth as "statues" in the scenery of Ponyland because their poses were awkward.

That said I have ended up with 4 of her and she really is lovely in person.  :) 

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 02:57:58 PM »
I don't really consider her rare, ever since I got online back in 1996-7 people chatted up Mimic as being this super hard to find rare pony.

However I've seen her plenty of times on the forums, for sale on ebay, at pony meets to know she is not really so much 'rare' as she is something people want. I don't really think she is any rarer than the rest of the second set of Twinle Eye ponies - I just think she's the one that has been talked up so much everyone seems to want to own her.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 04:09:36 PM »
I love Mimic! But I have a parrot...so I think that adds to her value for me :) She actually didnt have a limited production run either :) She had the same run as all the other ponies from the set - Bright Eyes, Quackers, Tic Tac Toe, etc. Its just that she is one of those ponies [what is it with green or yellow unicorns?!] who is super sought after; that increases her value she is actually relatively "common" when compared to a lot of other ponies.

Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Firehooves

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 04:14:15 PM »
I love Mimic! But I have a parrot...so I think that adds to her value for me :) She actually didnt have a limited production run either :) She had the same run as all the other ponies from the set - Bright Eyes, Quackers, Tic Tac Toe, etc. Its just that she is one of those ponies [what is it with green or yellow unicorns?!] who is super sought after; that increases her value she is actually relatively "common" when compared to a lot of other ponies.

Really? Huh, I'll have to change that, thanks. O_o

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 04:31:17 PM »
G1 was nice and straight forward most of the time :) Ponies were sold in assortments, much as they are now; if a retailer ordered a case of Twinkle Eyes they simply got 24 ponies which made 4 of each kind [at least on the sets with 6 ponies of course which was typical of the early years].
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters and 5Ds forever!
    • View Profile
    • Lucky Ladybug's Library
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 04:34:46 PM »
I'm a little surprised and confused by all the hype about her, but she definitely is gorgeous. :) And I imagine the TV episode helped her get a lot of popularity, too.

I'm not personally looking for her, which is probably a good thing since I don't have much money to spare for Ponies.

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 09:00:41 PM »
I think Mimic is pretty. Green ponies are a fave for collectors I think :) For the HTF value, I guess it is more because you have two things that fade on her...her body color and her fading pink hair. So it gets hard to find one who isn't faded...Me I was in awe when I found her in a craigslist lot in excellent condition no less!

elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

gypsyunicorn

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 09:32:05 PM »
I have had 3 in my hands
Not at the same time
I bought my first on long ago on eBay
Then I got lucky and found one in a lot through Craigslist
That gave me 2 Mimics
Then I did a partial cash with 1 mimic trade to get a Rapunzel
I gave away the eBay one and kept my more recent one
Rapunzel besides my nachtlicht custom mermaid were the last 2 ponies I collected back in 2009 and then I stopped collecting until end of 2012
So I had stopped collecting for some years
I had made a positive change in my life and the Rapunzel
was my grail and much earned pony who holds significant meaning to me on how I changed my life for the better
I started collecting in 2012 around Christmas when I started missing my friends on boards
This past fall of 2013 I found another Mimic so I feel like I have my original(sorta) 1st Mimic back
I always missed my 1st
Parting with her to get Punzie was worth it but didn't mean I didn't miss her
Now I have 2 Mimics and Punzie too
Punzie is only been passed to me with just the one
So considering all this Mimic is fussed over for no reason
If 90% of the community didn't glorify and grail her to huge prices you all would have her
I won't part with my second one again
It was too much of missing her the 1st time I did that
She isn't common like bride ponies but she isn't rare like Punzie
If that makes sense

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 09:41:11 PM »
I think she's all right. . .

I'm very picky about the TE ponies.  Right now, I only have 2: Locket and Fizzy.  I have to really love them and fir her price point, I don't really love Mimic.  I like her episode of the series but as a pony. . .  Meh.  I like her colors; I really hate her pose.  Love her symbol.

If I ran across her cheap, I might keep her for awhile.  But I certainly wouldn't pay an insane amount for her.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 09:44:09 PM »
I'd rather have a Mimic than a Rapunzel any day. I can't put a price on this pony, I just adore her. She's not rare, she's not uncommon, she's not some elusive exclusive...

She's just that good a pony, well designed, beautiful, and with a story that had me enraptured as a kid. There is a reason she has so many admirers. Love her or hate her, One can't deny that.

Her and Firefly have been life long favorite of mine <3

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 10:57:47 PM »
-Sigh- I love mimic and sadly I don't know if I will ever find one for a reasonable enough price! Someday! :(
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal