collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Overcharged shipping costs, how would you handle it?  (Read 1404 times)

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
Overcharged shipping costs, how would you handle it?
« on: January 24, 2014, 09:26:00 AM »
Recently I've made a few purchases from sellers where I've been overcharged for shipping by $5-$7 and I was wondering if this happens to you, how do you handle it?

I will admit that when it's an ebay purchase, I have no qualms about approaching the seller and politely letting them know about the cost difference. However my 2 newest transactions have been with arena members and there is just something about being apart of the community and the friendly atmosphere that makes me second guess the best way to approach the situation without coming across like an a**, or if I should even bother mentioning it at all, or just make a mental note to not deal with them again?

Aside from not being reimbursed the excess cost, I was pleasantly happy with the sellers communication and the way the items were packed. I do feel the need to clarify that in no way do I feel that either seller was being shady or trying to pull a fast one.

What are your thoughts?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharged shipping costs, how would you handle it?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 09:34:51 AM »
TBH when it comes to arena sales I don't look at the actual shipping cost on the package when it arrives. I know what sounds right for shipping quotes, and honestly if it was a difference of only $5-7 I think I'd be Ok with it, since most people who send stuff charge a handling fee, too. I figure the extra handling is for packaging, time, gas, that kind of thing. $8 or more I think I'd say something, though, since I see that as being a little too much for packaging and other stuff, but that's just me :biggrin:

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 09:46:33 AM »
I find myself getting overcharged all the time, because I mean, I know how much it costs to ship a pony within the US, and it's not $10... but, you know some people add in other costs... for me, I could personally add in the cost of ink and paper for my printer, packing tape, business cards, stickers... and of course, gas to the post office. I'm sure it's supposed to be specified as "handling charges" but, I have to think that accounts for some of the high shipping prices that I see all the time on eBay and stuff...

Also, I know that when I sell something of odd size, I usually take ebays suggestions on how other people priced it to ship, which can lead to overcharging.

But I know you're talkin about on the Arena here... I guess you could bring it up with the person... I dunno. Personally I don't look at the cost unless I think it's ridiculously high to begin with and still agree to pay it (but there-in lies the catch, I agreed to pay it...) and I don't really think I've ever said anything to anyone about it. Sometimes it would rub me the wrong way like, in my mind I'll note "Okay that person charges high shipping" and I might not buy from them in the future or something I guess but, yeah I'd say it'd have to be quite a bit over, like double the cost of the actual shipping (unless shipping was like $1.50 and they charged me $3, I wouldn't bring that up... but if it's $20 and it only cost $10, then yeah I might say something)...
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 09:48:10 AM »
I would be OK with $5 but anything over that is a bit excessive. You might just send a polite message to them if it bothers you that much and point out you noticed you paid a certain amount for shipping and it appears to have cost them much less and ask them what their reasoning might be and let them know otherwise you are very happy with the purchase.

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 10:06:16 AM »
I understand that there are other costs involved, I know people charge handling fees and paypal fees and what not. I normally don't pay attention to the postage that's shown on the box, I just happened to notice it when I was opening the box, I had also never had anything shipped from that area before and assumed that the cost was correct or that it was coming in a larger box. I understand that I agreed to pay the costs, so it's not the end of the world.

I was just curious if any of you ever say anything or if you just shrug it off. I do appreciate everyone's feedback.

Offline TinyShinyUnique

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • UniqueSubtleTreasures
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 10:17:41 AM »
Shrug it off...? Nope, not me. For $5-$7 I would buy another pony. I have to multiply the US dollars by three to get the amount in my own currency. For let's say 5 * 3 = 15, I would have food supplies for 3-4 days. That is a lot.
I get the people who charge a bit more to cover the fees, gas, packaging and whatnot and most of the time I don't even mind paying more to help them out - sometimes they need that $2 more to break even and as a seller I understand that perfectly... The thing is, I don't deal will people who won't say it right upfront in the selling threads or after I contacted them. Seeing that someone overcharged me so much, would drive me very mad and upset.

If it were me, I would write a polite message saying that you paid more for shipping than it actually costed according to the receipt and that it got you confused and you're wondering what had happened. And that you would be grateful for an explanation - maybe there is a logical explanation like with the weather someone had to use their car and charged gas or something. But it would have been nice if they informed you about it beforehand.

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 10:38:40 AM »
I personally would probably send a polite message questioning the extra charge. It gives them a chance to explain their reasoning without complaining behind their back about it. They may have a good reason and they may not, they may refund you the difference. If it was $1 or $2 I would feel otherwise but anything over that $5 mark makes me go  :wonder: 

I suppose then depending on the response, you can make a decision whether or not to deal with them again.

Good Luck on whatever you decide.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 10:48:51 AM »
I'm definitely not telling you to shrug it off - because it can be a big deal, I mean if you are buying 4-5 packages a month and overcharged $5-7 each time that adds up. Even once, as Tiny mentioned, can be a deal breaker and I completely understand that! There's no harm in asking, as most people have mentioned, why, or if the person realized that they overcharged so much, and let them answer you. You may find it was an honest mistake, you may find you get no response at all, - but hopefully you can work it out and perhaps get some of that difference back! :hug:

My Want List

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 11:16:19 AM »
Goodness.... Honestly, I wouldn't be happy at all!  :(   For me, shipping charges are very important and can make all the difference with my pony purchasing (being an international buyer most of the time). And I don't think that just because this is 'the arena', gives anyone the excuse to overcharge, sorry. Handling fees, if any, should be stipulated up front if that's how it is with the seller, so something the buyer accepts into the overall cost before entering into the transaction (and to avoid misunderstandings/problems after the parcel is received).

Although taking action is harder than thinking it, I would opt to politely address the issue with the seller if warranted. I've not yet been in the awkward position of having been excessively over-charged (except for my very first ebay transaction which was a horrible experience) but I have had sellers in the past refund me excess shipping before a parcel has reached me, something for which I have been immensely grateful for and oft makes them someone I'd happily trade with again. Likewise, I have topped up sellers before today, even if they haven't said anything, if I have received a parcel where shipping had been underquoted. No one likes being out of pocket.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 11:20:44 AM by Marlin »

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 12:15:03 PM »
Both transactions have been within the past month and both sellers had guessed the shipping costs. It's not the end of the world to me, I just know that when I've overcharged someone I always give the excess back if it's more than $1 without anyone asking me.

I have also made purchases where the seller undercharged me and I have always offered to pay the difference. I'm all about pleasant experiences for both parties :)

I had chosen to not say anything to either seller, I decided to just leave it alone. (These were from earlier in the month). I did leave positive feedback for both of them since they were wonderful to deal with and aside from the one issue everything else was great. I'm not going to let something so small leave a bad taste in my mouth.

It does add up over time though, I mean just between those 2 it's $12, now if I had another 2-3 like that, it can be quite the bit, especially when every little bit counts.

More than anything I was just wondering where everyone else stood on being overcharged and if their reactions were different here vs dealing with a seller on ebay? I'm quiet and soft spoken, I really dislike confrontation and making waves, so for me speaking up can be incredibly intimidating :blush:

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 12:25:58 PM »
I'm quiet and soft spoken, I really dislike confrontation and making waves, so for me speaking up can be incredibly intimidating :blush:

This is exactly why I usually don't say anything myself, haha :biggrin:

My Want List

AppleDash1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 01:00:07 PM »
For me when I think of making a purchase I consider the price to be including shipping and I agreed to pay that amount. For example I don't think of the pony as being 20 plus 5 shipping, I just think the pony is 25 and do I want to pay that much.  If someone gives me a quote on shipping that seems way over then I just won't buy it.

It does become harder when it is international, slight differences in weight can add up to a lot. I sold something earlier this month. I told them a price for shipping, when I went to pay to actually ship it, it was $4 more than I quoted them. That was my mistake so I just absorbed that cost.

Offline TinyShinyUnique

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • UniqueSubtleTreasures
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 01:16:22 PM »
Both transactions have been within the past month and both sellers had guessed the shipping costs. It's not the end of the world to me, I just know that when I've overcharged someone I always give the excess back if it's more than $1 without anyone asking me.

I have also made purchases where the seller undercharged me and I have always offered to pay the difference. I'm all about pleasant experiences for both parties :)

I had chosen to not say anything to either seller, I decided to just leave it alone. (These were from earlier in the month). I did leave positive feedback for both of them since they were wonderful to deal with and aside from the one issue everything else was great. I'm not going to let something so small leave a bad taste in my mouth.

It does add up over time though, I mean just between those 2 it's $12, now if I had another 2-3 like that, it can be quite the bit, especially when every little bit counts.

More than anything I was just wondering where everyone else stood on being overcharged and if their reactions were different here vs dealing with a seller on ebay? I'm quiet and soft spoken, I really dislike confrontation and making waves, so for me speaking up can be incredibly intimidating :blush:

In all honesty, while I love dealing with people on the Arena, they're just people :) Everyone is entitled to make mistakes so if the overcharging had been one, I'm sure that the seller would give you a honest response - the same would be if they had a reason why they charged you a bit more than was on the receipt. Some of the ebay sellers are as lovely and honest and sometimes talking to them and messaging back and forth to solve a problem makes both parties learn something. I understand why you might not like confrontation (I used to have anxiety attacks even when writing posts on the Arena :blush: ) but it's something that is worth considering because you gain experience from every deal.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 03:20:02 PM »
Honestly, my international transactions shipping *usually* end in .10, so I'll round up, because a mailer usually costs about $1 each. Every now and then I'll use a box lying around, which saves that .90 to cover the other 10-20 cents per mailer and makes it even out really, so what I charge is usually below actual shipping cost. If I under quote, so be it - in fact it was nearly $20 on an international transaction lately... I'd quoted for the wrong zone, but I ate it - it was more than the ponies were worth, and they probably wouldn't have taken them if I'd quoted correctly!

Mistakes happen, but if it was way over, I'd definitely say something. When we first got 'pack n send' it saved me heaps on tracked packages I'd already quoted for, and I refunded the difference, because prior to that, shipping tracked to those countries had been horrendous!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Stormy31685

• Trade Count: (+397)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 04:32:58 PM »
For me when I think of making a purchase I consider the price to be including shipping and I agreed to pay that amount. For example I don't think of the pony as being 20 plus 5 shipping, I just think the pony is 25 and do I want to pay that much.  If someone gives me a quote on shipping that seems way over then I just won't buy it.

It does become harder when it is international, slight differences in weight can add up to a lot. I sold something earlier this month. I told them a price for shipping, when I went to pay to actually ship it, it was $4 more than I quoted them. That was my mistake so I just absorbed that cost.

This is how I would look at it.  You really don't know exactly what materials and other costs a seller has so there is no way to compare, honestly.  Any eBay or Arena member who sells is actually *losing* money if they charge exact shipping.  There is always a cost, and it is always different for each seller.

If the items or item you purchased are worth less than what you paid for them when you add in the shipping, then you can politely ask to return them if you wish to take your time to do so.  Otherwise, I would just be happy and not worry about it. 

You were quoted shipping prior to paying, I am assuming, so it could not have come as a surprise.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal