collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Someone just asked me  (Read 304 times)

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
Someone just asked me
« on: January 24, 2014, 09:04:02 AM »
If I do commissions. I am newer to doing customs, and have never done anything commission wise, and really have no idea where to start or how to proceed with the idea. What is a proper way with dealing with doing commissions? I am sure there is an unwritten process with it in order to keep things proper....

Any help?
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline LittleKirara

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Professional Weasel Whisperer
    • View Profile
Re: Someone just asked me
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 01:39:18 PM »
Well they wouldn't have asked if they didn't like your work.  :P BUT I just want to start off with saying that if you don't feel "ready" then don't force yourself. You should only start taking commissions when you feel comfortable with the idea.

I don't think theres like a set in stone way to do it honestly I think everyone goes about it in their own ways (well taking into account that there has to be a certain amount of professionalism when your dealing with real money).

My advice is to sit down and calculate your total cost (hair, paint, bait ECT) and then go from there as far as price goes. You also need to be honest with yourself and your commissioner about a timeline (this is a mistake I have made myself >_<)

Then you need to decide if you require full payment up front or partial payment and HOW you can be paid (ie paypal ect) You also need to take into account shipping. Now if they live in the same country as you then its not quite as big of a deal but if not then you gotta deal with things like customs and what not and that can be a bit tricky.

Another mistake I've made is not communicating enough, try to communicate as much as possible and send lots of WIP pics.
   :heart:.:AQHA For Life:.:heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
Re: Someone just asked me
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 08:34:35 PM »
Well they wouldn't have asked if they didn't like your work.  :P BUT I just want to start off with saying that if you don't feel "ready" then don't force yourself. You should only start taking commissions when you feel comfortable with the idea.

I don't think theres like a set in stone way to do it honestly I think everyone goes about it in their own ways (well taking into account that there has to be a certain amount of professionalism when your dealing with real money).

My advice is to sit down and calculate your total cost (hair, paint, bait ECT) and then go from there as far as price goes. You also need to be honest with yourself and your commissioner about a timeline (this is a mistake I have made myself >_<)

Then you need to decide if you require full payment up front or partial payment and HOW you can be paid (ie paypal ect) You also need to take into account shipping. Now if they live in the same country as you then its not quite as big of a deal but if not then you gotta deal with things like customs and what not and that can be a bit tricky.

Another mistake I've made is not communicating enough, try to communicate as much as possible and send lots of WIP pics.

Thanks for the advice! I know that I have read that people send WIP info, and I just feel that in artistic circles there is kind of that "unwrittern book of the road" kind of thing of respectable dealings, especially when it comes to selling. :)
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal