collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Can flocking be thinned?  (Read 195 times)

scrub-adub

• Trade Count: (0)
Can flocking be thinned?
« on: January 23, 2014, 08:02:22 PM »
So i was washing my shady (that i will post pics of once im done) and i had this idea to scrub her with bleach
When she was dry some of her flocking was thin and not as fluffy.
So im just going to rwflock those areas unless theres a way to fix it.
I was just wondering if I did that and i dont remember what she looked like before...

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Can flocking be thinned?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 09:18:40 PM »
Yes, flocking can thin if you wash it, if the glue or fibres are already brittle, or if scrubbed too hard, or damaged with chemicals.  Some ponies aged better than others, they can vary between holding onto their flocking tenaciously and having it fall out as soon as you look at it.  It all depends.  Bleach probably isn't the best thing to apply to a pony if you're intending to keep them flocked, unless it's a case of no choice or they're bait already - it's a pretty harsh chemical.  Dish soap and water and very gentle washing is usually the first thing I attempt.   

There's also no way to reflock a pony so that it looks like it did originally.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

scrub-adub

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 09:28:10 PM »
Yes, flocking can thin if you wash it, if the glue or fibres are already brittle, or if scrubbed too hard, or damaged with chemicals.  Some ponies aged better than others, they can vary between holding onto their flocking tenaciously and having it fall out as soon as you look at it.  It all depends.  Bleach probably isn't the best thing to apply to a pony if you're intending to keep them flocked, unless it's a case of no choice or they're bait already - it's a pretty harsh chemical.  Dish soap and water and very gentle washing is usually the first thing I attempt.   

There's also no way to reflock a pony so that it looks like it did originally.
Alrighty ill keep that in mind...
Thanks for the help...
Ill probably eather reflock her in those parts anyway or keep her as is

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 02:16:09 AM »
Yes I agree with Baby Sugarberry, if you are ever cleaning a so soft people will always tell you 4 key things 1) be gentle, 2) dont use a harsh chemical, 3) use tepid water and 4) make sure to test an unseen area of the flocking with whatever method you are about to use to ensure the glue is not going to be a problem.

Unfortunately it is possible that you have accidentally removed some of the flocking but flocking loss is pretty common on so softs, it can come off just with the pony being handled [subject to the condition of the pony] so I would perhaps not stress over it too much. We all make mistakes when collecting, no matter how long we have been doing it :) 

Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

scrub-adub

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 09:30:43 AM »
Yes I agree with Baby Sugarberry, if you are ever cleaning a so soft people will always tell you 4 key things 1) be gentle, 2) dont use a harsh chemical, 3) use tepid water and 4) make sure to test an unseen area of the flocking with whatever method you are about to use to ensure the glue is not going to be a problem.

Unfortunately it is possible that you have accidentally removed some of the flocking but flocking loss is pretty common on so softs, it can come off just with the pony being handled [subject to the condition of the pony] so I would perhaps not stress over it too much. We all make mistakes when collecting, no matter how long we have been doing it :)
Again thnks for the help!
Ill remeber "no bleach" next time
For now i just want her to be equilly fuzzy everywhere i dont really care bow it looks

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal