collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: "Bronies"documentary on Netflix...  (Read 11300 times)

Offline TattooedMLP_Rat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
Re: "Bronies"documentary on Netflix...
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2014, 08:10:23 AM »
I just watched it, and I thought it was pretty good.  I think if you know someone that's never watched the show, it would really open their eyes.  However, it was slightly irritating seeing the creator and all the voice actors at that convention, and WE ALL here as pony collectors, since we were very little, we can't even get Hasbro to attend our convention, just give us lame generic answers.  It was awesome to meet Bonnie though, these brines probably don't even know who she is.  I do enjoy seeing the fair getting bigger each year.  Last year was awesome!  I hope this years is even bigger!

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2014, 01:45:00 PM »
The best part of the documentary was John de Lancie's Discord sculpture.  :lookround:

*grabby hands*
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline BabyMedley

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2014, 02:10:31 PM »
As far as the G2 mistake, I talked to a guy who was working on the doc, and by the time I had complained about it at the first screening (at EQLA in 2012) that portion had already been recorded and animated so it was a done deal and couldn't be fixed. Saberspark helped start the mistake with his Ballad of the Brony video, and he has apologized to me about it, too. So they know it is a mistake, but not one they can easily go back and rectify.

As far as the p0rn thing, my understanding is that almost every fandom with a lot of males in it have folks who express their interest in that way...so it isn't terribly interesting to bring up. It's kinda like "well, duh, that happens all the time. So what?" There are plenty of elements of the brony fandom that outsiders would see as "negative" that the doc shows off (cosplay, owning plushies as an adult, or women being an afterthought, for example), so complaining about the doc makers leaving out most of the sexual elements says more about those complaining than about the doc or the fandom.
BabyMedley

I'm at almost 2,500 ponies!
Former Chair of Equestria LA
Follow me on Twitter: caycifish!

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2014, 11:34:04 PM »

As far as the p0rn thing, my understanding is that almost every fandom with a lot of males in it have folks who express their interest in that way...so it isn't terribly interesting to bring up. It's kinda like "well, duh, that happens all the time. So what?"

To this degree? Please. And we can still think they're disgusting and want to stay away from them. :) So 'so what?'
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 11:35:49 PM by ponycake »

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Pythia

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2014, 04:21:51 AM »
Yay, more focus on the straight white male side of the fandom, while everyone else gets ignored or brushed under the rug because they're not 'omg special' enough. I really couldn't care less if some guys like little toy ponies. Hardly a topic worth making a 'documentary' over, except that obviously is this society straight white guys  must have their finger in every pie and be the most important aspect of, well, anything. Colour me surprised.
SO over the brony hype.
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2014, 05:31:12 AM »

As far as the p0rn thing, my understanding is that almost every fandom with a lot of males in it have folks who express their interest in that way...so it isn't terribly interesting to bring up. It's kinda like "well, duh, that happens all the time. So what?"

To this degree? Please. And we can still think they're disgusting and want to stay away from them. :) So 'so what?'
To be fair with BabyMedley's outlook on the manner, I'm in a lot of fandoms, and yes, I do experience it to this degree with some of them. Heck, when I was just about 13 years old and I did an image search for a Digimon character (Gomamon, I believe), pretty much every second image was 'that' kind of image.

Anyhow, I'd like to watch this personally. It seems to be cheesy, but I can live with that.

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline Discord

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2014, 05:35:56 AM »
It was alright, and actually increased my respect for bronies. I wish there was a documentary about the REAL ponyfans( aka collectors) who dont hate on previous generations of mlp and the fans of these older generations.

They can do one on me! I'm a female Brony who collects G1, G2, G3 and G4! There are plenty of female artists and collectors who could be focused on. I didn't notice that (somehow) but great for bringing it up!
Formerly known as DeviantCandy

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2014, 06:36:38 PM »
There's that great documentary called My Little Obsession...

As for Bronies, I was excited to see my friend's Twilight Sparkle on Tara Strong's piano!

Some of the parts of Bronies were decent and others were not.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Online Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2014, 07:48:39 PM »
Yay, more focus on the straight white male side of the fandom, while everyone else gets ignored or brushed under the rug because they're not 'omg special' enough. I really couldn't care less if some guys like little toy ponies. Hardly a topic worth making a 'documentary' over, except that obviously is this society straight white guys  must have their finger in every pie and be the most important aspect of, well, anything. Colour me surprised.
SO over the brony hype.

I felt the same way! It would have been so cool to see other fans I could connect with, and be like, "hey, they're just like me!" ... and instead, the only women present were ONE (!!!) fan, and someone's mom. :/ Awesome, in order to be included in a fandom "documentary," you have as equal chance as being included if you're someone's mother as if you're a female fan yourself. :sigh:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2014, 07:57:50 PM »

To be fair with BabyMedley's outlook on the manner, I'm in a lot of fandoms, and yes, I do experience it to this degree with some of them. Heck, when I was just about 13 years old and I did an image search for a Digimon character (Gomamon, I believe), pretty much every second image was 'that' kind of image.

With 'some of them.' I could go do a Tumblr search for a lot of fandoms right now and I bet almost none of them would be as high a percentage of p0rn as MLP. (In fact, that's exactly what I just found). It's rampant in this one, more so than typical. Of course you can find p0rn of everything, sure, but it's really almost dominating this fandom.

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2014, 08:13:06 PM »
SO over the brony hype.

BINGO.

If straight white men are interested in something odd it's NOTEWORTHY.  However, no one wants to do a documentary about women liking Transformers.  Which there are quite a few of us.  It's the same thing, no seriously.  But then straight white men think it's okay for women to like what they think as their's ( for the most part.  As long as we bow down to them and always accept they're right about everything and we're vastly inferior on every aspect of the fandom ) but when they like something that's then geared for US?!  Oh, that's freaking noteworthy, and they deserve so much attention, the bunch of special snowflakes they are! 

Really, I don't enjoy the take over.  I don't enjoy even casually mentioning I have an interest in MLP and then get smacked with questions like, "OH MY GOD, ARE YOU A BRONY?!"  Uh, no.  Never. 

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2014, 11:48:56 PM »
It seemed very defensive, although I'm not sure why. The majority of articles I've read on bronies in major publications have been, for the most part, positive. Like, "Hey, look at these guys! They like My Little Pony, good for them! Fight those gender stereotypes!" and at worst treated the ordeal like a strange fad or curiosity, but nothing malicious. The doc also seemed to have a lot of dudes making sure you know they're totally not gay, okay! Which annoyed me. But the doc was made by bronies for bronies, and was exactly what I expected. The pre-gen bashing made me sad but was also not surprising. The only surprising bit of that is that, apparently, Lauren Faust had some involvement in the lyrics and we wouldn't have FiM without her interest in G1, so...

ponycake's right. There's adult stuff in every fandom but G4 has an obscene amount for something that's just three years old, and it's poorly hidden so children can easily stumble upon it even with safe search on. Usually you have to go looking for that sort of stuff, not trip over it five times.

But that's not the topic of this thread, so I digress!

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline Silver_mirror46

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Check out my art store @La Poyoshop on Etsy
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2014, 07:39:01 AM »
It felt really positive, I mean "yeah look at al these white hetero guys, the love ponies and the voice actors are like SO nice to them" I saw some pegasisters in the documentary and ya know hanging with the bronies and that

But the documentary lampshaded I feel, the aspect that has characterized this fandom WAAAY BEFORE bronies came into it:

the accpetance, how everyone's so nice and supportive, a community that's tightly knit together and everyone's chatting in harmony and friendship. This fandom (in my personal experience) has always been kind of a haven from the regular internet fandoms, not saying there has not been any flame wars or nerd rage and tears here (not specifically this forum but the community in general)... but it has never been in the levels of other groups (or I didn't get into the dark side of the fandom myself?)

I think it's cool guys can be moved into liking something targeted for little girls and breaking stereotypes and things like that, I think it's awesome to have more boys in the fandom and that in general the MLP community is louder.... but not like this

Guys think, for the same reason I just noted, they're speshul for liking pastel grinning horses and shove the female members, this is known all over the internet... it's unfair, very unfair, they have treated something aimed to young women as their thing and all that this implies

Back to the movie itself... it made me want to get closer to the nice bits of the bronies, but because of all we have talked about I'm still having second-thoughts about it

thank you PonyWithnoCrown afor the lovely pony in siggie :3
My DA page  My Tumblr Art Tag  Commissions   Trader Feedback

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2014, 07:46:34 AM »
BINGO.

If straight white men are interested in something odd it's NOTEWORTHY.  However, no one wants to do a documentary about women liking Transformers.  Which there are quite a few of us.

This is my reaction too.  If guys like MLP, I am fine with that.  But to pay for a documentary . . . about yourself . . . over something that everyone would shrug off if it applied to women.  (Women make up 41% of the buyers of the current Transformers comics . . . How many times has that been in the news compared to "OMG bronies!"?)  It just doesn't sit well with me.  It seems very self-aggrandizing.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2014, 09:03:18 AM »
I think the pride came as a fairly natural reaction to negativity directed at them. The brony movement did come from a certain image board that will not be named, and for a while the image board was instantly banning people for even posting about ponies once (I was one of them :P). The "look how awesome we are for liking ponies, we will love and tolerate you" thing came as a kneejerk reaction meant to troll the trolls back, and it evolved into something bigger.

Just my theory though. I don't think there's any malice meant in the attitude. I know there's badness in the fandom and maybe I'm trying too hard to see the good in my fandom, but I really do think that they get too much of a hard time.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 09:05:01 AM by reanna-mator »
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal