collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I'm finally a rat mom!  (Read 894 times)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
I'm finally a rat mom!
« on: January 14, 2014, 09:58:43 AM »
An update on my excitement from before. Over the weekend I finally got my boys and officially became a rat mom.

The journey started early Friday morning(I'm talking around 4 a.m.). The wife and I had planned to spend a bit of time making our trip fun instead of just a rat journey. We were leaving early enough that in theory we could visit the zoo nearby Fortworth and run around shopping Friday. Then we would pick up the babies Saturday morning and head home.

Things didn't work out as planned. We made good time before getting into Dallas. Three massive wrecks on the interstate causing it to totally shut down. Add a four hour extra wait time, and we pulled into the hotel ready for sleep. I was totally thankful though that I got some traffic help from a kind individual through texting that lives in Dallas and is going to proxy show my models. -excited squeal time- anyway that's anther topic.

Then I happened to be one of those people hit with the Target card security issue. I didn't have time to replace it before we left an resolved to do it when I got back. Well my bank is an AR only bank. I was lucky we had some cash otherwise sleeping in the car anyone?

At this point our trip pretty much was a total bust. We did go shopping a little and out to eat but nothing special. I will say our hotel room was nice and huge with a big king bed which was fun (even though I kinda dislike hotels and pretty much bleach everything when I get home).

At this point if for some reason we had to go home without the babies the trip totally would have been a flop. It worked out well, and we met the breeder early Saturday morning.

Now, I had brought my guys full sized cage for this trip because honestly I couldn't find my old hamster carry cage. I took down some of the toys and levels to try and discourage hem from climbing. I've only had the one rat that hated me, and I forgot just how much she liked to climb.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I could just imagine tier little broken bodies after such a long drive and effort. They made it though! But the work wasn't done.

I live in a hay field, but I don't have a road. About the time I moved and we stated working on it our rainy season came, so I have to wait till things dry out. This isn't a huge deal but sometimes my SUV even in 4 wheel drive cannot make it. We had to improvise with me in my muck boots pushing a wheelbarrow a pretty good distance through the mud with the rat cage. Again wasn't bad because the distance was probably just like two football field lengths, but the mud was an issue and my sis walked beside me to steady the cage. It's safe to say getting the babies was no easy process!

They seem to be enjoying their new home now(the dogs are not cool wih attention competition).

They are both brothers and five weeks old. Last night I just decided their names. It's hard sometimes because I typically go for author or character names and try to fit them to personalities. First is

Rikki Tikki

This was the boy I "simply had to have" since I saw his picture when he was a few days old. Oddly enough so far (I realize in only a few days I don't know their personalities that well) he is less of a clingy mamma's baby. He wants to roam and check out every thing. His favorite game is to hide behind things in their room and then pop his head out. I'll put my finger over and "tag" him, and he will go hide. If I forget or take too long to find he he will run over and jump on my legs. He is a rascal and isn't big on being held, but when he gets tired he likes to lay in the pouch on my chest and let me rub him.

The next one is Tyger (after Blake's poem), and he is also a ball of energy. Oddly enough when I first was picking a companion for Rikki I wasn't sure which one, but I just kind of thought TY was cute. He only has the one little black spot near his eye and just seemed interesting. Ty like attention and is fast becoming a shoulder rat. That isn't to say he isn't active because he actually has more energy than Rikki, but he likes to ride on my shoulder or when playing he makes sure to run back and sit on me every five minutes or so before going to hide again. He's just a bit more openly affectionate (of course I've only had them a few days! I love both my boys and their personalities).

I actually have had trouble getting a face shot of Ty. He is usually bouncing or riding my shoulder or standing on my phone when I try to take a picture.

Anyway in occlusion the boys are growing on me quickly with their spunky attitudes. I love that when I walk in the room even if it's during the day and they are sleeping they perk up and jump on the sides of the cage following me about and wanting to play. Neither of them is really used to or enjoys being held much yet, but they obviously are enjoying spending time with me and of course roaming and getting treats.

I've joined what seems to be a good rat forum with information to help me along. I want to make sure to not only have a strong bond with my boys, but that they have a good quality of life.

Thanks everyone for giving me advice and just generally sharing my joy. Thanks to Mkia especially for the kind gift(the boys love them) and generally being a great friend to share in my excitement about getting the boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: I'm finally a rat mom!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 10:00:37 AM »
Congrats!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Lollipop

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • *Lollipop's for everypony*
    • View Profile
    • Wickstead's - Something Quintessentially Unique & Just That Little Bit Different
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 10:06:02 AM »
Very cute :D congratz  ^.^
Lollipop
Wickstead's Wickstead's BLOG
:heart: :heart: :lovey: :heart: :heart:

Want/Wish List SALES Thread TRADES Thread :biggrin:

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 11:08:32 AM »
Thanks!

Lol off topic but I've been curious for ages. How many hammies you got Kat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formerly Maddie

Offline kaoskat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 11:36:17 AM »
Currently? 1 Chinese and 1 Syrian.

kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Mkia

• Chihuahua Momma
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Flying zebra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 12:50:17 PM »
Yay!! And awww they're so cute :). Makes me want more ratties :P. But I think I'll stick with my girls for now lol.

Sounds like you had quite an adventure getting them to the house!! But I'm glad they're settling in now. You'll have to keep us all updated on how they're growing and such!! :D

:heart:

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 01:55:23 PM »
Yep currently and lol for some reason I imagined you having tons of hamsters! I'm not sure why. :lol:

Mkia: haha, I've been texting pictures of them of course because I'm all excited. Someone else told me today I was making her want more new rats. :P  hehe since I'm new to them I won't worry about more just yet. I feel a little bad like I should have gotten three since I spend time with each one individually and the other hates being left alone. Then again when I was playing tag with them earlier I thought there would be no way I could deal with more than two currently. They have lots of energy and were zooming everywhere till I got tired and stopped playing. :P

Formerly Maddie

Offline kaoskat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 03:30:50 PM »
LOL I have had tons of hamsters! Just not all at once! :silly:

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 05:21:39 PM »
Congrats!!!!!!!! I'm so happy for you!!! I wish you and your babies a wonderful life together!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 01:31:20 AM »
Aww, congrats hun :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Mkia

• Chihuahua Momma
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Flying zebra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 01:57:58 AM »
Yep currently and lol for some reason I imagined you having tons of hamsters! I'm not sure why. :lol:

Mkia: haha, I've been texting pictures of them of course because I'm all excited. Someone else told me today I was making her want more new rats. :P  hehe since I'm new to them I won't worry about more just yet. I feel a little bad like I should have gotten three since I spend time with each one individually and the other hates being left alone. Then again when I was playing tag with them earlier I thought there would be no way I could deal with more than two currently. They have lots of energy and were zooming everywhere till I got tired and stopped playing. :P
Lol :P. I think two is perfect. My two are totally connected and bonded as well. They sleep in their little hammocks together. I think mostly because Hera (our little grey one) keeps Epona (our hairless) warm lol.

Handling them one at a time is smart at first. And it's not like you take them away from the other for long :P.

They're so fun as babies because you get to watch them get bigger and more adventurous xD. I think you'll have a lot of fun with your two ;)

Offline scarlettkitty81

• Trade Count: (+275)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 02:47:35 AM »
Awwww congrats! They are soooo sweet. I have two female mice and absolutely love them. I think mice and rats have awesome personalities. Mine give me kisses :)

Offline Miss Violet

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Takara ponies wanted!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 02:56:45 AM »
Congratulations! They look soo cute!! ^.^
Takara ponies wanted!i have Milky and Pinky looking for the other ones! Takara outfits and accessories too!

open for ART COMMISSIONS!

Offline Tiffymh1fan

• Trade Count: (+116)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Im attracted to shinny glitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 03:15:20 AM »
Awe! I love the names, Congrats on your new bundles of joy  :)
Glitter for everyone! :fireworks:

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 04:31:22 AM »
Aw, congrats Maddie. They look sweet. Little cuties. :satisfied:
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal