collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Giving a G1 to a child  (Read 2746 times)

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Giving a G1 to a child
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2014, 03:50:50 AM »
1. It is a Toy
2. It was made for kids

:like:
Agreed. I don't see the point of getting up in arms over giving a non-rare pony to a kid. And hey, even if someone wants to open up a MIP Rapunzel and give it to a two-year-old, that's their call (and their money wasted), not my business.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2014, 04:25:46 AM »
My friend just gave her 1 year old her super nice dream beauties from her childhood.  Amazing paint, soft uncut hair.  It was actually my first time seeing one IRL.  I have to admit, I was a little jealous, but I don't see a problem with it at all.  The way I look at it, it's what they were meant for, and if someone saved them for their kids, then why not? 

I saved my childhood ponies, who have been upgraded in my collection, for my kids if they are ever interested.  I figure that their value (after being well loved, well played with and taken everywhere with me as a kid) makes them not worth selling, and after all of our adventures, I don't want to part with them.  I have several friends as well who gave theirs to their kids, and the kids love them.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it.  Ponies are meant to be played with.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2014, 08:38:22 AM »
I agree with the "its a toy...its for kids" argument. Sure, I understand it wanting to not be an epically gorgeous and minty and factory curl Baby Firefly but I don't even see the need for it to be a completely baity pony. She is a very common pony and relatively inexpensive [cheaper than a brand new G4 off the shelf] pony to pick up. I love my ponies and I prize my collection but even some of the harder to find ponies out there are not on the scale of genuine vintage collectables in age, rarity or value. I think if she would enjoy it, then perhaps it would be nice for a Baby Firefly to enjoy what they were designed [and durably designed for]...playing with.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2014, 08:51:57 PM »
I have done it before, and it totally turned my ex bf's niece into a pony lover. She is 7 now and keeps asking for customs that she can display. I think she was not even 2 when I got her her first G1s! I so recommend sharing the pony joy with little ones, after all these are toys and meant to be played with. There are so many less than mint ones around, it's easy to make new pony friends this way.
Good luck and have fun playing with her!!

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2014, 02:14:43 AM »
If you think about it like in Toy Story, wouldn't the baby firefly prefer to have a little girl to love and play with?

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2014, 10:42:18 AM »
If you think about it like in Toy Story, wouldn't the baby firefly prefer to have a little girl to love and play with?

Toys love to be played with, right?  :). I should play with mine! 

Honestly, though I agree with everyone else.  Ponies were meant to be played with.  I wouldn't hesitate to give her a pony, especially one as common (and as adorable) as Baby Firefly.  You might have a pony lover on your hands in no time!

Now, MIPS Rapunzel on the other hand. . .  :P. :D
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2014, 01:16:28 PM »
As long as she's past the "chew on everything" stage, I see no harm in it.  The safety standards in the 80's weren't quite the same as today's, and what you can or cannot put into plastic toys has changed in the intervening years. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2014, 01:22:00 PM »

I'm totally the villain in Toy Story 2, minus the stealing and the reselling of course.  I really love doing the restoration part =)

High Flutter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2014, 01:51:18 PM »
I'd say go for it!
Tell her "it's special" - in whatever words you choose.
I'm guessing she won't understand/realise/appreciate the usual terms vintage, collector item (seriously, a collectible toy?!?!  What's the difference?  all toys get played with, right??)

Even if she moves on quickly, she will remember that you gave her a "special pony" that was different from the rest.

You thought she (the girl) was special enough herself to receive one of your special ponies, not an ordinary pony.

Isn't that worth giving away a baby firefly for?

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2014, 10:28:30 AM »
Thanks for the opinions everyone. :) When I get money next, and if she still likes ponies, I'll start trying to track down a baby Firefly for her. I picked a little pile of G3s (and a G4 Rarity) for her from my collection. Hopefully I can get those to her soon and she loves them.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal