collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Giving a G1 to a child  (Read 2744 times)

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Giving a G1 to a child
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 10:01:21 PM »
I have one for sure siting on my desk.  She might not be bait enough(her hairs not cut) but I can still get a pic or two over if you'd like.

Offline LadySiha

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • I'll meet you across the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 12:29:33 AM »
I don't know how much youd have to worry about the hair.  My niece is 3 and has a special shelf in my room (some more common g1's, bunch of g3's and several g4's).  I tend to buy my commons in as nice of condition as I can find, and they look as nice as they did the day I put them there.  For reference, I've had her shelf set up for a few months, and she's over at least once a week.

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 01:05:43 AM »
My daughters have a huge collection of G1, G3 and G4. The G1 they have are in very good to bait condition. I clean every single one I get before they can have it. I guess to me I do not mind them sharing in a bit of what I loved as a kid. They have the whole Lullaby Nursery in their playroom, complete with accessories and lots of babies and adults. They respect the ponies and play nicely with them...well because mommy told them that if they were not nice, she would take them for her own collection.  :biggrin:

My eldest daughter who is 5 actually started a personal collection. She has two large shelves in her room that are now filled with ponies. She takes her favorites and puts them there, and no one is allowed to touch them because they are her "collection". That shelf has a TAF Buttons and a Mint condition Chief that my dad got her for Christmas...

I guess I am pretty relaxed about it though. :)
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 09:23:00 AM »
I have one for sure siting on my desk.  She might not be bait enough(her hairs not cut) but I can still get a pic or two over if you'd like.
I don't have any money right now, but it couldn't hurt! If I think its the right pony I could try and get some money together.

I don't know how much youd have to worry about the hair.  My niece is 3 and has a special shelf in my room (some more common g1's, bunch of g3's and several g4's).  I tend to buy my commons in as nice of condition as I can find, and they look as nice as they did the day I put them there.  For reference, I've had her shelf set up for a few months, and she's over at least once a week.
Looking at her Cadence and Shining Armor, I'd definitely have to worry about the hair. A little shelf or section for her in my room would be amazing, except that she lives in California and I live in Idaho. I've only gotten to meet her once so far, and its unlikely I'll ever see her more than once or twice a year.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 09:32:26 AM »
I would say getting her a good condition baby firefly with regular hair would be fine. Baby firefly isn't a high dollar/demand pony. And who knows, maybe it'll spark something in her like it did to all of us and she'll be a future collector.

My niece has had g1 ponies since she was 4 that I gave her, she's 15 now. She still loves them. :)

I second this. Baby Firefly is common, and after all these years, is still just a toy in the end. If she loves baby firefly, it's only about five bucks for a nice one, give or take, nothing to worry about :)

Binny

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 09:37:35 AM »
I think as long as it's not minty or rare it's fine and she would probably be thrilled. :)

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 09:40:08 AM »
I certainly would not give a rare G1 to my kids ( they have never been allowed to play with mine) but anything that is play condition, bait etc, then go ahead. She will love you for it :lovey:

When I buy my 10 year old daughter G1s she doesn't even notice that they are in played with condition. She just loves having the same ones as mummy :)
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Lollipop

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • *Lollipop's for everypony*
    • View Profile
    • Wickstead's - Something Quintessentially Unique & Just That Little Bit Different
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 09:49:10 AM »
Well the boyfriend & me have already talked about this  :biggrin: if / when we have kids they will of course be aloud to play with my G1's but only!!!!! if they are careful with them like I was :P I don't think I would let them have them till they were maybe 6yrs old (depends on how they act) & they are not aloud anywhere near Lollipop, Wingers or any of my other very special ones (to me) until they appreciate how these are.

Plus most of the time I will probs be playing ponies with them too  :biggrin: so will keep an eye on them hehe  ^.^

Over all I want my ponies to be played with I loved playing with mine when I was little so I want my kids to do the same. I would not let other children play with them though (well maybe if my bro has kids they can hehe coz will treat them the same) they are for my kids only if I have any that is hehe
Lollipop
Wickstead's Wickstead's BLOG
:heart: :heart: :lovey: :heart: :heart:

Want/Wish List SALES Thread TRADES Thread :biggrin:

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 10:18:46 AM »
Go for it. Even if she wrecks the hair it can always be re-haired.

It sounds like she would really love her and thats what matters most. It would be extra special for her that you got her a firefly just like yours especially since you bonded and had such a special time together over the ponies.

Baby firefly is common enough you dont have to worry about it.

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2014, 10:32:24 AM »
I agree with what the others have said. I understand your feelings from a collector's point of view; you don't want something you cherish so much to be mistreated in any way. You can always have a chat with her when you give it to her and explain that she isn't for drawing on and that she needs to be brushed just like a real pony. Ponies like to look pretty, and frizzy hair isn't pretty. Show her how to care for the baby by teaching her how to properly brush it and care for her.
At her age she may be past the point of coloring on her toys. She'll probaby enjoy being taught, because at that age it's all about mimicing behaviours and learning new things. Plus there's the added bonus of it being a bonding experience with her that may blossom into a mutual love and respect for ponies that will last a lifetime!

claricesponies

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 11:08:43 AM »
1. It is a Toy
2. It was made for kids

Yes! Absolutely! If children could experience the magic of My Little Pony like I did in the 80s.....Wow, what a beautiful thing!

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2014, 11:27:15 AM »
Common baity sounds great, just make sure to give then a deep cleaning before giving them to the child.  ^.^

Boiling water, shampoo, dishwater and the most important is to check for rust as they can get very gross in the inside  :sick: the kid could take the head off the pony and touch the rust (in cases they also have mold)  this could be a huge problem

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 03:08:04 AM »
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 03:27:23 AM »
1. It is a Toy
2. It was made for kids

These are my thoughts as well :) If it were me I wouldn't be super concerned about condition or what damage the kid might do. We played with ponies as kids, no harm in letting them play with them now. I know we as collectors like to see ponies maintain their integrity, but I'd rather a kid get some joy playing with a (common) pony, even if they do damage it.

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 03:27:50 AM »
1. It is a Toy
2. It was made for kids

:like:

I'm gonna have to agree with this too. I mean we were all children when we played with ours and 30 years later there are tons of gorgeous ponies to be found. I wouldn't hesitate in the least to give very common G1's to a younger child for them to cherish and play with (that's what they were intended for). That being said, it is your decision in the end, so you gotta do whatever you feel is best.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal