collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Skylanders figures- help  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Calico_Star

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Skylanders figures- help
« on: January 12, 2014, 04:47:13 AM »
Ok, so I'm brand new to Skylanders; I got Swap Force a week ago and that's the first Spyro game I've played since Enter the Dragonfly :P So at this point, I have the figures that came with the game, plus a few of my very favorites (original Sonic Boom, the second(?) version of Whirlwind, the second(?) version of Cynder, and Lightcore Flashwing. I just grabbed those because they were my favorites for purely aesthetic reasons, and TRU was having a sale :P

I also have a little list of other Skylanders that I'd like to get eventually, but at this point, there are multiple versions of most of them. And with most of them, I like previous versions better than the most current version (like how Flashwing is the only one of my 4 who I own the most recent version of.) Is there any reason I shouldn't buy older versions of the figures? For example, I like the original Camo a lot more than Thorn Horn Camo. Is there any disadvantages, gameplay-wise, to seeking out the older figure?

And Drobot. I like his second version; that pose is my favorite by far. But his newest incarnation is a lightcore. Is lightcore Drobot better for some reason? I think I read something about Lightcores having an extra ability...or something? I didn't notice anything special with my Lightcore Flashwing (aside from the glowing, of course, and her general badassery) but I don't have a regular Flashwing to compare her to...

TLDR: I want to buy older versions of these characters because I like their looks better, but I don't want to be sorry later if I find out that the newer versions had extra features or better abilities or something.

And last question-- has Scratch been released yet? I swear I did try to look this up online, and couldn't find a clear answer.

Edit: Here's my little crew
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 04:53:07 AM by Calico_Star »

:heart: My Deviantart :heart: Commissions: Closed

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
Re: Skylanders figures- help
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 05:12:57 AM »
I can't help you, but I agree those guys look the best of the characters :lol: I almost bought Sonic Boom on a whim despite not owning the game  :blush: I like griffins a lil too much, perhaps!
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 05:45:00 AM »
Heheh, I love Skylanders <3 And you certainly have great taste ;)

Basically, the difference between older and newer characters are their powers - Newer characters have 'Wow Pow' abilities. Something that many other players have noticed is that some characters have also apparently had a 'power down', and are overall very weak in the latest game (presumably to stop people from getting the older ones/forcing people to get the newer ones). With Drobot, I'm pretty certain the only difference is that LightCore Drobot can't be used in Spyro's Adventure.

Having said all of that, I've managed to beat every game using solely Legendary Spyro from S1, and I had no problems whatsoever with doing so.  If you're interested in getting extra abilities, get the latest figures. But if you're more interested in the actual figure design... Definitely go with the ones you like the most.

Hope that helps a little!

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 08:59:45 AM »
I tend to get at least two of each character (i only play dragons) so i can get both branches of their divergent powers covered.  :)

Scratch isn't out yet.  I want her too, even if she isnt a dragon. 

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 12:16:05 AM »
Check the cards they come with. Certain one have higher stats than others. Also some of the special sort, if you get those have money that comes with them.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 01:45:48 AM »
I think Lightcores come with a small bonus to one of their stats but other than that are the same figure.  I have Lightcore Drobot (and the other 2 versions of him too - he's my favorite) and there's really no noticeable difference between him and any of the others. 

Offline kaoskat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 02:01:22 AM »
Honestly, get the ones you like best. The game really isn't difficult enough for you to actually need the boosts.

kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 02:11:05 AM »
Honestly, get the ones you like best. The game really isn't difficult enough for you to actually need the boosts.

yeah i agree with this... I havent played through a skylanders game since the original, they just arnt interesting to me. however my son loves them, he has all "normal" basic figures from skylanders and skylanders giants. (we dont buy lightcore/store exclusives if we can avoid it) He got Swap force for christmas and beat it in a week.. hes 10, but hes also a serious gamer xD.

anyway he did that with the skylanders that came with the game, and two extras i bought him to go with the christmas gift, plus all the older skylanders.
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Alzatia

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 02:12:48 AM »
I have most of the S1 and S2 Skylanders. I don't recall Lightcores really being any different from standard versions (atleast up to S2). I didn't notice any difference in stats for S2 Drobot and Lightcore Drobot. Just that the model for Lightcore Drobot looks "shinier" onscreen. It throws off some sparks basically.

As for Camo. I'm with you on preferring the S1 version. But he's a little harder to come by now though. And he was mostly widely released in the S1 three-pack with Warnado and Ignitor. His three pack was mostly seen at TRU as well.

Offline Calico_Star

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 02:31:24 AM »
Thanks, ladies! That helps a lot! I actually beat the main storyline last night, so I guess I'm going to be focusing more on the different figures now. (I figured I still had half the game to go, I didn't know that was going to be THE final boss fight!) I went ahead and ordered that set with Sunburn yesterday....I love his design, and there aren't and other cool dragon-y fire types. (Fire Kraken doesn't count, he's a little too humanoid. Or something.)

Cupid- Thanks! I'm all for picking up figures even if you don't have the game :P And if you do ever get the game, Sonic Boom is a pretty awesome character, too. Her attacks seemed kind of limited at first, but she can kick some butt ;)

Sora- That's great information, thanks! Sounds like I'll go ahead and get the older figures, then. If I can find them! I'm noticing that a lot of places, online at least, look like they have certain figures but they aren't actually in stock.

Skeen- Thanks for saving me from the insanity of running around looking for a character that's not out yet! Do you know if a release date has been announced? You have good taste-- I only like the dragons, too :P (And the griffins.) Besides my current crew, my "want/need" list includes Sunburn, Camo, Scratch, Drobot, Zap, possibly Warnado, and Prism Break (who is pretty much the only non-dragon who I have any interest in.) I'd kill for a unicorn Skylander though! And I think a centaur would make a pretty awesome swap Skylander.

Kaoskat- Cool! By special sort, do you mean like the color variants?

:heart: My Deviantart :heart: Commissions: Closed

Offline alkevin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 02:40:40 AM »
I also buy these for collecting, I don´t have any of the games. I have Sonic Boom 1º, Whirlwind 1º, Cynder 1º, Flashwing 1º and  Spyro with big horns. I also found that megablocks also made some figures, but they are smaller than the game´s figures. I want Sunburn and scratch.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 03:13:20 AM »
My husband and I have waaaay too many of these.  We have all the generic figures from games one and two and are trying not to buy all of three.  The problem is, I have my set of favorites and he has his and that equals close to all of them.   >_<  So he figures we might as well get them all. One of my favorite pastimes is leveling up a new one.  Then we fight it out in the arena.   

You can use any character to complete the game but when it comes to player vs player, it does matter.  The series 3s are somewhat stronger but hardly noticeable.  I like Stealth Elf and Whirlwind best.  I guess I have a lazy playing style as they do most of your work for you.  :blush: 

I also like getting new powers and the ability to switch paths so I love series two and three characters.  Switching paths is important to me so I base my new buys on that.  Lightcore makes a pretty toy, but it's not very interesting in overall game play.

Skylanders are made available in waves.  We have already seen wave 1 and 2 for swap force.  Wave 3 is out but not in every part of the US yet.  It's believed the last wave will be wave 4 and we will see it in the summer.

I get most of my skylanders information here:

http://www.darkspyro.net/

I don't have an account, but some one always asks the questions I have so I really don't need to.   :P
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 03:20:37 AM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline kaoskat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 03:48:33 AM »
Kaoskat- Cool! By special sort, do you mean like the color variants?

Yup! The color variants.

Sonic Boom is awesome! In fact my favorite to use is my Glow In The Dark Sonic Boom. She's faster than my other Sonic Booms and I have her abilities maxed out on the baby route so oh my gosh she has 4 little fighting minions following her around and she just breezes through everything. She's perfect for beating the time limit part of each level.

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 03:56:24 AM »
Sora- That's great information, thanks! Sounds like I'll go ahead and get the older figures, then. If I can find them! I'm noticing that a lot of places, online at least, look like they have certain figures but they aren't actually in stock.
That happens a lot. I'm still trying to find a Wham-Shell to complete my SSA collection, but I can only get it if I purchase the set from TRU with the cardboard castle (which I would, if the cardboard wasn't going to cost me $15 extra)... Best of luck finding the ones you're after! :)

And on the note about a unicorn Skylander - I'd love one of those too! Someone made a unicorn Skylander with a backstory that involved Whirlwind's past (with her being part unicorn), and it was pretty well made. Hopefully they'll release one soon!

I get most of my skylanders information here:

http://www.darkspyro.net/

I don't have an account, but some one always asks the questions I have so I really don't need to.   :P
I have an account there, but I never use it. But if anyone needs anything posted, my friend Steven is RadSpyro on there, and I can get him to ask.

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline alkevin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 04:16:23 AM »
Here is  a list of the figures http://www.skylanderscharacters.com/figures.asp

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal