collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 My Little Pony Comic  (Read 2295 times)

Offline systemcat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
G1 My Little Pony Comic
« on: January 05, 2014, 03:06:31 AM »
I asked Firehooves if I could illustrate from his fan fictions, and he agreed & gave me a script at request :).
So far I've done the line art to page 2 of chapter 1 of "The Magnificent Six":
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8291826/1/the-magnificent-six

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Firehooves

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
Re: G1 My Little Pony Comic
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 05:06:11 AM »
Wonderful start, Cat! ^^ Can't wait to see your finished art! ^^

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline systemcat

• Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 12:28:02 PM »
(editing in: Ah (deleted word)! Does the page show up as half black to any one else? Photobucket seems to be acting buggy.)

Thanks Firehooves  :biggrin:!

Ok, now here's page 2 finished but without words, they'll be added in when all the pages have been drawn. Also I'd like to explain why I didn't draw page 1 first ..visionally it's tricky to play out in comic form, but slightly modified, I know how I want to illustrate it now  ^.^.

Post Merge: January 06, 2014, 06:30:15 AM

:blush: I colored in the wrong pony, here's a corrected version of page 2:

Post Merge: January 06, 2014, 07:07:17 AM

Page 1 with no words :):

« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 07:07:18 AM by systemcat »

Offline Firehooves

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 09:34:51 AM »
AWESOME! You did a wonderful job, this looks GREAT! ^^

Fisha Seabreeze

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 01:00:27 PM »
Interesting art style, I like it! :satisfied:

Offline systemcat

• Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 02:46:34 AM »
Thanks guys  :biggrin:!
Here's page 3 without it's text:

Offline Griffin

• Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 06:29:32 AM »
I'm eager to see how the story continues! I think page 3 is my favourite so far, it looks very dynamic with the characters extending outside the frames, I like that. Great body language and use of colours - there's really some tension on that page! Of course I like the other pages, too, particularly the third panel of p. 1 and the first panel of p. 2. Looking forward to seeing the pages finished with text!

What I really like about your style is that it looks original although it has some easily identifiable G1 influences, that's fan art at its best in my opinion. :)   

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Firehooves

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 01:30:05 PM »
Awesome adaptation of my story, Cat! ^^ Keep up the good work!

Offline systemcat

• Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 12:04:18 AM »
Thanks Firehooves & Griffin  ^.^!

Griffin = I really appreciate those words. This art is also being posted to my DeviantART account and no one over there is giving a rat's butt about it. Sure, I'm getting a few faves, but no comments what so ever  :(. I swear in that site if you don't draw G4 style, people see it as not worth noticing.

Started up working again on page 4 after having taken a break from it last night, early in the morning. I told Firehooves this in a PM, today is going to be busy, and I'd rather for digital art focus on starting page 5, than finishing page 4. ..It's amazing I don't really feel the need to have caffeine right now. The work to finish page 4 started back up around 6am.

Offline Griffin

• Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 01:54:33 AM »
Griffin = I really appreciate those words. This art is also being posted to my DeviantART account and no one over there is giving a rat's butt about it. Sure, I'm getting a few faves, but no comments what so ever  :(. I swear in that site if you don't draw G4 style, people see it as not worth noticing.

You're welcome! :) Sadly I think that's a general problem in DA, people are very lazy to comment on any artwork (not just pony related), even talented artists and fantastic pieces of art often go unnoticed. Sometimes you see Daily Deviations that have lots of comments and favourites but when you check the artist's gallery, their other (equally great pieces) have very few favourites and they might not have much pageviews either. I have to admit I don't comment that often on DA myself... I'm one of those people who fave and run. ;) But you do have a point, ponies don't get much attention over there unless they are G4.

Nice job on the newest page! Posey's face is priceless in the middle panel. :snicker: Surprise's anatomy looks a bit off in the second panel, mainly the left front leg (our right) which could perhaps be moved closer to the other so her chest wouldn't appear so wide. It's a tricky pose and perspective, though! Foreshortening is something I really struggle with (to such an extent that I generally just avoid it  :P ). You manage to convey the sense of angles and distance well, and in a comic I think that's more important than anatomical accuracy. The proportions can even be exaggerated for extra impact like you've done with the right front leg.       

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Firehooves

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 03:20:16 AM »
Again, awesome work system! :D Though I wish more people would compliment you on it, though. *sigh* some fans are just too dtuck on the G4 art style to even TRY to like anything else! O_o

Offline systemcat

• Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 05:17:44 AM »
You're welcome! :) Sadly I think that's a general problem in DA, people are very lazy to comment on any artwork (not just pony related), even talented artists and fantastic pieces of art often go unnoticed. Sometimes you see Daily Deviations that have lots of comments and favourites but when you check the artist's gallery, their other (equally great pieces) have very few favourites and they might not have much pageviews either. I have to admit I don't comment that often on DA myself... I'm one of those people who fave and run. ;) But you do have a point, ponies don't get much attention over there unless they are G4.

Nice job on the newest page! Posey's face is priceless in the middle panel. :snicker: Surprise's anatomy looks a bit off in the second panel, mainly the left front leg (our right) which could perhaps be moved closer to the other so her chest wouldn't appear so wide. It's a tricky pose and perspective, though! Foreshortening is something I really struggle with (to such an extent that I generally just avoid it  :P ). You manage to convey the sense of angles and distance well, and in a comic I think that's more important than anatomical accuracy. The proportions can even be exaggerated for extra impact like you've done with the right front leg.     

Thanks Griffin  :)!

I checked out the gallery of a Daily Deviant winner the other day because I was convinced they had been rewarded one in the past, and I was just trying to confirm my suspicions. I was wrong, but did notice what you just mentioned. At least in comments, this artist was not acknowledged. Most pieces had 2,3, or 5 comments.

I know Posey's anatomical accuracy is a little off, but I think it's ok when not trying to be realistic. To boil this down simple, I'm trying to make the best cartooned horses I can. That has to be one of the nicer critiques I've gotten. Dude, share your DA user name, and I'll give you a llama  ^.^.

Again, awesome work system! :D Though I wish more people would compliment you on it, though. *sigh* some fans are just too dtuck on the G4 art style to even TRY to like anything else! O_o

Thanks Firehooves  :biggrin:! ...I'm unfortunately used to not getting comments & over looked  -_-.

Here's the final page, page 5  :). Next up I'll be adding in the text & combining them all into one large piece.

valurauta

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 12:06:16 AM »
Your comics are awesome! I like Posey the most :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 03:47:29 AM »
Gosh! You must have put so much time and energy into these. I really like how your style is, although fantasy, reminiscent of an actual horse rather than perhaps the overly stylised way G4 has developed. It certainly suits the fact it is G1 ponies being shown. Great work!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline systemcat

• Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 06:28:57 AM »
Your comics are awesome! I like Posey the most :)

Thanks  :)! I actually have a long history of  making & drawing comics. This is just my first dive into doing an MLP comic, though not being it's writer. I'll be glad to share my other comic work if you're interested :cool:?

Gosh! You must have put so much time and energy into these. I really like how your style is, although fantasy, reminiscent of an actual horse rather than perhaps the overly stylised way G4 has developed. It certainly suits the fact it is G1 ponies being shown. Great work!

Too many hours to count  :lol:! Firehooves got lucky with this  ^.^. Normally devoting this much effort into a piece for another is something I'd charge another on. Although in this case I just wanted to take care of an itch I'd been having for a while to illustrate a comic nicely that I wasn't the writer to. The urge for a fun project  :).

I can do many other styles of drawing. Choosing not to draw in G4 style is because it's over used, and I'm frankly tried of people viewing it as the definitive style MLP must be drawn in by many fans.

Thank you very much for saying this is great work  :)!

Now what every one has been waiting for! All the pages put together and with text! When looking at this it's going to be clear why no text version pages of this were posted first. I've never been fond of covering up art with words. Some thing I try hard not to do with my web comic (which I'm aware many of you have never heard me mention before). In that web comic I color code each character with a different color speech bubble and this also in a sense applies to them thinking with a reverse of coloring of sorts. I was not sure if that would have been a good idea here given the fact I've never seen other artists do it to the extent I do with the web comic. Although I must say adding in the word bubbles in this I sorely missed my normal way of relaying character speech from what I'm used to. Fun lesson learned while working on this though. That I can copy text into Corel Painter, for ages I didn't know that was possible.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal