collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Grail Acquisition and Drastic Measures  (Read 2144 times)

nollilols

• Trade Count: (0)
Grail Acquisition and Drastic Measures
« on: January 03, 2014, 02:07:41 AM »
So I just spotted one of my grails online,  and realised I can't afford her but I sure as heck cannot let her go,  so I'm making a list of sacrificial ponies in my collection who may have to be offered to the money gods if I manage to snag her and deciding whether I really need to eat for the next two weeks  :P

This made me wonder, have any of you ever unexpectedly stumbled upon a grail and gone into panic mode,  bargaining left right and centre with yourself so you could get it? I thought there might be some fun stories on this topic.  What have you sacrificed for a grail? Did you get the grail, was it worth the sacrifice? are you too level headed and sensible to let a grail compromise your weekly food budget?  :P do you have a grail fund set aside for these kind of emergencies? And which pony was it?

Share your stories everypony!

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
Re: Grail Acquisition and Drastic Measures
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 02:40:40 AM »
D:   
Luckily my last grail isn't too expensive, but wow I wish you luck!    I think anything over $100 should take serious consideration, and yet I like how you are weighting the possibilities of which current ponies could be.. "voted off the island" XD   I would do that, for sure.  including other things I collect perhaps, (I have a Metroid Prime 3 Disc collectors edition that is going towards a pony some day, I just KNOW IT)

nollilols

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 03:32:57 AM »
Well she's cheap at the moment,  I'm hoping she'll stay well under $100, I'm just very broke after Christmas!

I've always been the same,  my ponies are tiered in my head according to  how expendable they are plus what I'd get for them money wise, sort of like assets I guess.  I love them,  but if I can reacquire them another time I'd rather sell and grab my grail.

I don't have much else of value,  I wish I did! Some low value in my Doctor Who stuff like my Tardis and my Journal Of Impossible Things, but I couldn't part with those.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 04:26:21 AM »
Oh yes! I have done this :)

Although I am a terrible act first and think later person. So I usually buy...and then work out how to actually replace or refund that money :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 05:14:39 AM »
Oh yes! I have done this :)

Although I am a terrible act first and think later person. So I usually buy...and then work out how to actually replace or refund that money :P

I guess that makes me worse off....I do it knowingly. Then it's money borrowing time from mum, sis or dad. I never really get to selling any ponies. lol
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 05:29:27 AM »
I haven't done this with MLP (yet).  Although, once I finally see a Night Glider on eBay, I can make no promises.  I have done this with Breyer horses, though.  One was a really pretty Breyerfest exclusive that I literally raided my bank account for, but got outbid.  As disappointing as it was, I have to say that is was a good thing because I have seen the same model waaaaay cheaper since then (she was a"fad" for a few months, I think).  I actually still have to get around to purchasing her...

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

nollilols

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 06:04:03 AM »
I'm pretty terrible for acting first too. I really need to check my bank balance and set a fixed amount for my grail. There are two others also up which are rare enough and I badly want them - so my poor account is going to give me an awful shock when I next check it!

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 06:16:08 AM »
A little more than a year ago, I got really burnt out on doing commission artwork - book illustration, mural work, paintings and drawings, tattoo design - It just kept me so busy that I didn't have time to do anything for myself. So I've been on an indefinite break to enjoy my own projects (mainly work on the house).

During this time, a friend of mine decided she wanted to part with a very rare MLP ornament, one that I've been after for years! She was the only one I knew had one.  But she wanted to trade it for a commissioned drawing. So I broke a promise to myself to get that grail ornament.   And I enjoyed doing it since it had been awhile since I had done a pony drawing :D

Offline MLPWhitney

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+149)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 06:20:33 AM »
A little more than a year ago, I got really burnt out on doing commission artwork - book illustration, mural work, paintings and drawings, tattoo design - It just kept me so busy that I didn't have time to do anything for myself. So I've been on an indefinite break to enjoy my own projects (mainly work on the house).

During this time, a friend of mine decided she wanted to part with a very rare MLP ornament, one that I've been after for years! She was the only one I knew had one.  But she wanted to trade it for a commissioned drawing. So I broke a promise to myself to get that grail ornament.   And I enjoyed doing it since it had been awhile since I had done a pony drawing :D

Let's see the ornament!! :D And the drawing, if you have a photo of it! :hug:
My :heart: belongs to wacky G1 merchandise!

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 06:40:59 AM »
Not the best picture, but here it is, my Sweet Breeze G3 ornament:

And here's the drawing.   My friend let me enter it in the 2012 MLP Fair art contest before we traded.

I need to make a big poster sign that says "WILL DRAW FOR GRAILS"
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 06:42:48 AM by ashlyne »

Offline MLPWhitney

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+149)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 06:46:04 AM »
WOW... I love your picture more than the ornament! :) Hope you enter something into this year's fair!
My :heart: belongs to wacky G1 merchandise!

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 06:54:26 AM »
WOW... I love your picture more than the ornament! :) Hope you enter something into this year's fair!

Thanks Whitney  :biggrin: Ya, I'm thinking of skipping the whole booth decorating contest and just doing the art and custom contests instead.   It's been awhile since I've submitted a custom!

nollilols

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 08:05:51 AM »
Not the best picture, but here it is

I wish I had grails to give you! Stunning drawing,  and thanks for sharing your story! Much sweeter than my tale of sobbing over ebay and an empty bank account haha!

Offline Falconaitae

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 08:11:02 AM »
Actually I did.
Once I ordered a custom plushie, that I couldn't really afford at that time, and till next payday I had to eat paint from the walls. So I sacrificed comofort of my life :P No, really I had to be really creative in transfering money between credit and debit card to avoid those pesky phone calls from the bank ><
My pony blog
It's better to be a famous drunkard, than an anonymous alcoholic

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 10:06:09 AM »
ashlyne :faint: wow on the painting and wow again on the ornament...I didnt even think that was ever released!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal