collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: cabbage patch dolls at thrift -value?  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Radha

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • So Soft Pony
  • It goes ding when there's stuff!
    • View Profile
    • Tactile Memories
cabbage patch dolls at thrift -value?
« on: December 27, 2013, 04:33:32 AM »
 I've been thrifting for ponies but keep finding 80's cabbage patch dolls. I dont know much about them - in general, are they worth over five or so bucks? What about the Koosks ones? I just found five at a thrift store but my knowledge is so limited I have no idea if they are worth anything. They did appear clean and with good hair.
I realize that's a super broad question ; I just thought I would start here in case I was passing up good finds!

Offline GazeboMouse

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: cabbage patch dolls at thrift -value?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 06:29:09 AM »
Cabbage Patch Kids vary. Different manufacturers and headmoulds and colour combinations reach higher prices than others, although the prices have dropped dramatically in the last few years.
Look out for manufacturers stamps on the back of the head, Coleco is the main original 80s American one, pre 1989, but ones that Americans call 'Foreign' (Jesmar, Tsukuda, Lily Ledy for example) are more sought after. Girls with 'popcorn' hair (thick very very curly pony tails)  are popular, as are kids in original clothes. Boys with ginger hair are worth looking out for. THe headmould numbers are on the back of their heads, the incised number not the raised number. HMs particularly popular with collectors are HMs 1, 4 and 6 (which should have pacifiers), Headmold 14 kids are collected by quite a few too. There are also lots of colour combinations that are hard to find.
THe CPKCC and Open Cabbage are 2 of the main online clubs nowadays, from a hayday about 10 years ago of 8 or 9 clubs with hundreds of members each. http://thecpkcc.freeforums.net/index.cgi?board=thecpkccphotobucketalbum
Dont know if you can view their albums if not a member?

Offline Radha

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tactile Memories
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 08:22:26 AM »
  Thanks, GazeboMouse!  I posted that with my mobile, which just barely does internet.  After I came home I started looking some stuff up via Ebay, etc.  It seems complicated but cool.  Based on the pics I found, I guess there was ap reemie in original clothes, and the other dolls I think were also in original clothes but no idea on headmolds.  I might try to go back tomorrow and see if they are still there.

Ianthe99

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 12:04:35 PM »
I highly recommend The Open Cabbage for anything CPK. You do have to be a member to see things, but membership is free and all that.  Bunch of lovely people full of great information.

Looks like GazeboMouse gave you a pretty good rundown on the basics. I started collecting CPK a few months ago, because they are easy-ish to find and it helps me get my toy thrifting fix.

$5 and under is usually what I shoot for. If they have original clothes or certain hair styles, I will go higher. 'Fuzzy" boys, popcorn girls, Lion's mane girls.. Foreigns are an always buy for me! (Lily Ledy, Jesmar, Tri-ang Pedigree or Tsukukda) World Travelers outfits..Astronauts, any pacifier mold head WITH the paci..

I love Koosas too.. they come in so many different variations.

(ETA) I must say though.. that I shoot for  $5 or less because I am cheap.  :-P
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 12:09:37 PM by Ianthe99 »

Offline Radha

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tactile Memories
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 01:15:38 PM »
   I found out that the thrift store stayed open until 9:00 so I popped back over.  Here's what I got:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I'm soaking the clothes now, since they were a little dingy.  Everyone looks to be in good shape.  No tags on the cheerleading outfit, so I guess it might not be CPK?  The others are original.  All have signed bums with the year 1985 on them.  The babies are both number 1 head moulds, and the girl has both a 2 and 7 incised?  I left the Koosas behind since I didn't have any idea on value and didn't want to spend too much.

Thanks for all of your help!  Ianthe99, I can definitely see picking these up sometimes when there aren't any ponies.  Ironically when I went back there was a small bag of ponies they had just put out, so I got those too :)

Offline GazeboMouse

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 02:54:24 AM »
The cheerleading outfit isn't original, but the shoes are, and probably the socks! The preemie outfit is original, and a nice one. The girl has a No 2 headmold. There wasn't a number 7 or 13 headmold, for some reason, and what collectors call the number 5 mold hasn't actually got a number on it, it's the one with one front tooth! Should have mentioned that in my first post.
My CPK collection of full sized kids has been shrunk now to about 150, but have had hundreds over the years, original ones rarely turn up in charity shops over here as they were a lot more expensive here than in America. Had one boy as a child when they first came out over here, who I still have, missed him when I went to Uni so started collecting Mattel kids in the 1990s, then discovered Ebay and the rest is history! I collect vintage black boys and later asian boys but collect the black posables and mini pvcs too!

Offline wiccanpony1

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 06:06:21 AM »
Wow how cute if you decide to sell the first one please let me know she is pretty much the same as 1 I had as a kid:) xx

Offline apanda0622

• Trade Count: (+177)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 01:26:03 AM »
I think I found that rare Cpk the one that you feed and was recalled. What was the official name and does anyone have pics?

Edit: It is a Snack time Kid! Its a boy and he has a few sticks of food. How do I check if we works? What is his value?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 01:28:46 AM by apanda0622 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal