collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cut manes and tails question?  (Read 705 times)

Offline Divinisity

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Cut manes and tails question?
« on: December 20, 2013, 04:02:01 PM »
Cut manes and tails... what do you usually do with them? I recently acquired a bunch of G1s from Value Village, but it seems their previous owner liked the short look. I'm not much of a customizer, or a picky collector (a little is totally fine), but the manes and tails are too short for me!

I wanted to ask what others did with cut tails and manes... and would I be better off selling them as is? And how much value is docked if there are cut manes and tails? C:

I got Sweet Suds, SS Satin n Lace, Windy, Locket and Stardancer. I assume they aren't all that valuable, so if I accidentaly botch a rehairing, it'd be totally okay xD But a couple are duplicates, so I'd be getting rid of them anyway.

Cut manes and tails like so:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Cut manes and tails question?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 06:01:55 PM »
Alternate rehairs are very popular right now, and those first two would be great candidates for that since their bodies are still so nice!

I'd stay away from Satin N Lace though since she's a mail order and pretty sought after. It may be better to just wash her hair and keep her as is, or rehair her with her original colors. (Though do keep in mind that rehairing will devalue her. :( )

Great finds, by the way, even with the cuts. They're still some pretty cute ponies!

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 06:12:28 PM »
i usualy get hair as close as i can and restore them if they are very baity i might custom them but its usualy restore for me :)

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 10:24:08 PM »
I've been looking for a Satin n Lace to rehair so if you decide to sell her let me know :)
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.

Offline Divinisity

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 04:59:51 AM »
Oh I see, for more sought after ponies, rehairing will devalue, or is that for most ponies? All of them have great bodies, it's just the hair that is an issue, so alt rehairs might be a good idea!

I'm always interested in restoring, but hair is another thing completely for my skill level. And I have no idea how to restore a perfume puff!

Okay, Lady Starflower, I'm going to clean her up and decide, and I'll be sure to let you know if I were to sell!

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 05:08:53 AM »
Sounds good, thanks :biggrin:
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 07:39:37 AM »
I have a perfume puff with a similar haircut. I just combed her hair really poofy. Sweet suds isn't too htf so if you wanted to restore her I'd recommend asking in customs for a replacement hair/yarn to use. As for the rest I would just restore as they're great finds!

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Noepse

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 01:24:12 AM »
I personally love haircuts, I think it gives the pony lots of character. :)
I would either hide the haircut by curling the hair or in case of the hair being to short for even that, rehair the pony!
By the way many congratulations on finding Satin n' Lace, she is one of my grails. ^w^  (I would personally not rehair Satin though since she still has pink hair!)

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 02:32:14 AM »
For my own collection buzzcuts mean only one thing...rehair practice or rather rehairing and honing the skill  :satisfied:

It really depends on how short it is though. I have several ponies with short manes but quite good tails and one of my Blossoms who's almost white has a short purple do but it's not quite a buzzcut more a bob so I left it as it was. I usually only go as far as rehairing if the hair is a buzzcut or there are too many missing plugs to salvage the original hair. Same with tails really if its too short or too messed up (by which I mean its had several hack jobs and bits are long and bits are short) then it has to go and be replaced.  :biggrin:
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 02:42:12 AM »
I generally like G1s with haircuts and often happily buy them for my collection...makes them different and a lot of the time they just look so cute. Personally though, I think poor Satin n Lace is a bit too short for my tastes. On the other hand I think Sweet Suds looks okay and Windy is totally working that hair do! :P I would leave her as is but I know I'd be in the minority there.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 05:23:08 AM »
All hair cuts are going to devalue a pony but how much it devalues them is very much subject to which pony and how bad the hair cut is. For some common ponies a hair cut can drop their price down to bait while for some rarer and much harder to find ponies people will be happy to purchase the ponies with the hair cuts as its perhaps the only way they fall within their acceptable price range. In your pictures SS Satin Lace is certainly in that latter category. What a fantastic pony to find in a thrift shop! :)

For me normally I like to rehair ponies to match original but for some super common ponies some of the alternate rehairs are lovely. It kind of depends what you want to do with them? If you are keeping them for your own collection then I would decide what you like best and rehair [or dont rehair!] them that way. However, if you are selling them then unless you are a really good and creative alternate rehairer, I would sell them as is. Alternate rehairing only works if you take a bit of a gamble on the price of the hair in comparison to what you can charge - sometimes it does not financially stack up and you are best to simply sell as is.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Divinisity

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 05:36:52 AM »
Yeah, I agree, haircuts do give them a whole different look, and some can look really nice!

Practicing rehairing sounds tempting too, I guess it's never a loss when you get to practice. Rehairing tails are easy for me, but manes are a whole different story! It's so much more difficult. I will look into yarn for customs, I love how soft Perfume Puffs are.

Oh, I missed your post, Hathorcat. Thanks for the insight on value! I don't know much about alt rehairing, so that was great.

I guess I know that if it's my pony, I can do whatever I want with them, but you never know what the future will bring. Though I definitely know the duplicates have to go, so I won't touch them then.

I love hearing about what other collectors like to do with theirs, it's so much fun!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 05:44:42 AM by Divinisity »

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 12:06:13 AM »
I'd probably rehair Satin and Lace. :) The other two I'd probably sell to someone that likes to rehair as I don't really enjoy it and it won't help their value.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal