collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Please tell me about Thailand ponies?  (Read 795 times)

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
Please tell me about Thailand ponies?
« on: December 17, 2013, 03:06:01 AM »
I've tried looking up info on these lovelies, but have so far found very little about them. How common are they and where was their distribution? What ponies were released from there, and are they sneaky, like Spanish NC ponies? Thanks for the help!

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
Re: Please tell me about Thailand ponies?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 03:53:37 AM »
All Fancy Pants babies sold in the US were made in Thailand. They are the common version in North America, and not considered rare or Nirvanas. It's assumed that Hasbro was testing a new factory, but ultimately decided to stick with factories in China. The European release of the Fancy Pants babies came out 1 year after the US release, and all of those babies are made in China.

The only other ponies made in Thailand are Mountain Boys. They are extremely rare, and their distribution is currently a mystery. Only 1 or 2 examples of each Thai Mountain Boy have been found, so it can be assumed that there are more out there, just in much smaller quantities than the HK Mountain Boys.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 05:13:24 AM »
KKV has covered everything :)

We know very little about the Thai mountain boys, as KKV has said we've found one or two versions of each. The only boy I don't think we've found is Lightning.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 06:55:02 AM »
Are their differences between the Thai and HK Mountain Boys? Like paint color, or eyelash #'s or thickness, or slight plastic differences, or could anyone who buys a Mountain Boy have a chance of lucking out and perchance getting one sneaky one on eBay?

Offline Baby Mischief

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Liberae sunt nostrae cogitationes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 06:59:57 AM »
Stalking this.. :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 07:02:46 AM »
I always think we ended up with the China manufactured versions over here because, outside of the US, Fancy Pants were released in a joint set with Baby Paws and Drummer as you know. So it probably made most sense to have them manufactured in the same location as the other ponies they were being packed in a set with.

However, I do wonder if the Mountain Boys were some kind of special run. The original Mountain Boy set was out 2 years before we see the mainstream Taiwan Fancy Pants. They were however out in a year when Hasbro started a lot of the change over from Hong Kong to China. So perhaps when doing this change over there was the possibility manufacture would go to Taiwan rather than China and these boys got a random run? It would seem really odd for the set to have been manufactured 2 years after the set was released and in such small numbers as well.

There are body colour differences but most significantly is their hair streaks - check out the difference in Ice Crystal http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Ice_Crystal - and they sit in the opposite direction from their regular versions.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 07:21:52 AM »
Huh. If I saw that online i'd think it might be a custom! Guess i'll have to keep an eye out for a pony i normally can't afford to be one i REALLY can't afford! :lol:

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 10:28:19 AM »
However, I do wonder if the Mountain Boys were some kind of special run. The original Mountain Boy set was out 2 years before we see the mainstream Taiwan Fancy Pants. They were however out in a year when Hasbro started a lot of the change over from Hong Kong to China. So perhaps when doing this change over there was the possibility manufacture would go to Taiwan rather than China and these boys got a random run? It would seem really odd for the set to have been manufactured 2 years after the set was released and in such small numbers as well.

The Hong Kong Mountain Boys were dated 1987 (according to the MOC Tornado I have). The US Fancy Pants Babies came out in 1988... so the years aren't that far off. It's possible that the Thai Mountain Boys were meant to be a reissue of the previous Hong Kong set. With that theory, it would place both groups being manufactured around the same time. :bigups:

Offline Ember1

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 12:10:05 PM »
I have so far tge only Thai sunburst ever found. His plastic is thinner and he is a deeper yellow than hk sunburst. His streak is on the opposite side and his symbols have an orange sun with orange streaks
Instead of a red sun with red streaks. His eyes are also a different shade.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 12:21:16 PM by Ember1 »
Andre's Sunsparkler Hybrid Proto
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 12:22:19 PM »
I have so far tge only Thai sunburst ever found. His plastic is thinner and he is a deeper yellow than hk sunburst. His streak is on the opposite side and his symbols have an orange sun with orange streaks
Instead of a red sun with red streaks. His eyes are also a different shade.

Where did you get him from? Did he come with those accessories, or are they specially made?

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 12:24:05 PM »
Although they're dated 1987, I think they may have actually come out in 1988... I'm sure Taff and I looked into it at some point And came to that conclusion. If memory serves, the dates on the card are often a year earlier? Ooh, Moc Tornado must be gorgeous :lovey: I adore their card :)

It would certainly be possible to luck out and get one, particularly if it were in a lot :)

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline Ember1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 01:36:06 PM »
I bought him from a member who found him in a lot she bought off ebay. I had the accessiories made for him since we don't know what accessories they were sold with.  He is in amazing condition. There have been 6 Thai boys ever found to date. 2 tornados 1 ice crystal 1 fireball 1 sunburst and 1 thundercloud
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 02:10:29 PM »
Now the "OMG" question...how much can they sell for?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 07:56:19 PM »
Although they're dated 1987, I think they may have actually come out in 1988... I'm sure Taff and I looked into it at some point And came to that conclusion. If memory serves, the dates on the card are often a year earlier? Ooh, Moc Tornado must be gorgeous :lovey: I adore their card :)

It would certainly be possible to luck out and get one, particularly if it were in a lot :)

They appear in a completely different UK catalogue than the Fancy Pants/Baby Brother - a couple of year's apart. Although its always possible that they were perhaps listed but did not make it out to stores until the following year? They don't appear in the 88 catalogue which suggests they were not available. But as KitKat says, what if they did get a short manufacturing run intended for the 88 offerings but it was decided against offering them to retailers - perhaps they were poor sellers or something. That would explain why there are so few of them perhaps?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:12:43 PM by hathorcat »
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Ember1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 10:13:19 PM »
If you are super lucky and find a Thai boy in a lot you can get him cheap.
There are only six Thai boys ever found.  And I know a few hard core collectors
Willing to pay  high amounts for them. Hard to say a number but I think from what
I have been offered  anywhere from 2k and up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal