collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 637
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Rehairs? yay or nay?  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Rehairs? yay or nay?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 04:44:22 AM »
I love alternate rehairs. :) But I tend to only do a full rehair if they have a mohawk or unrestorable hair. If they just have a forelock trim or similar, I would rather do a partial rehair to restore them.
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 04:47:46 AM »
I am a rehairer, and I pick and choose ponies carefully that I rehair. Their bodies may *look* nice in photos, but there are very few ponies where I bait them if they're in nice condition.

Are we losing ponies? Sure... but, if we spend our own money to buy the baits, then it's our own choice what to do with them.

I agree here. I'd prefer if the rehair candidate has hair that can't really be salvaged for whatever reason, but the pony belongs to its owner. In the end, it's just a toy, a thing. And things can never last forever, and if it can provide an outlet for some creativity, then there's nothing wrong with that. :)
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline WildBlue

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Possibly maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 04:54:07 AM »
I like alt re hairs. I don't mind whatever someone want to do with their stuff.
The only thing that gets me bothered is if it's going in the landfill. If you can fix it to original or fix it to something new...do it!!!!!

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 04:58:17 AM »
i like alt rehairs, I have some in my collection and like them much more than the original

Offline steffers29madds

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 05:11:35 AM »
I really like  rehairs whether it is original or alternate. I have even purchased one in the past. I like seeing old ponies with a fresh new look. Everyone has their individual opinion regarding rehairs, alt rehairs, customs etc. and I can accept that it's their opinion and mine might be different. While I would never rehair a pony that could be salvaged, if someone does, I pretty much feel like if they own it then they can do what they want with the pony. I grew up with MLP and love them but maybe because I work with people in poverty who are struggling with things like substance abuse and mental health issues, I can't get too worked up over what happens to a pony, even a very loved pony, that I can't take with me.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 05:37:59 AM »
Rehairs are fine, but not for me.  I won't accept rehairs into my collection.  They're fine for a temporary placeholder, but if I'm going to spend money on a pony I'm going to spend money on an original pony. 

This is kind of my thought as well when it comes to rehairs in the original colors - I don't buy them and don't do them for myself. Which is why when I get ponies that need new hair I prefer to give them alternate colors because then it's not really a placeholder or 'impostor' pony, it's something completely different.

nollilols

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 05:47:35 AM »
Actually, I will admit there is one exception to my rule of no rehairs - I plan to make a reverse Gusty someday. But as I am fine with rehairs being made in general (as long as a good number of original ponies still survive), then I think altering one pony for myself isn't too bad, because I know if I make a custom reverse Gusty, the pony will be essentially worthless (being fake and unoriginal), and therefore she will probably stay in my herd forever.

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 05:57:54 AM »
I don't personally buy rehairs (though I've considered a few). Personally I think that usually, they look good, even beautiful, with a new color, but sometimes the colors used just look terrible IMHO. =P I'd much prefer the pony it it's original hair.

I do kinda think it's become maybe too popular to do to G1s though, as someone who can still fully appreciate a pony with a nice, not-too-drastic haircut. I mean if there is still enough hair to brush and it's not totally butchered or falling out, I don't really think it should be considered rehair bait, personally. However I honestly think that if the pony has no hair left anyway, it doesn't hurt to give that pony new colors rather than rehairing in the original colors. If I were into rehairs, I'd pay the same amount whether the pony had it's original colors or new colors.

I do wonder why it doesn't seem to be so popular to do with G3s or even G4s though. There are plenty of baity G3s already, and there are certainly enough of the main 6 G4s to give them makeovers! =P
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 08:02:13 AM »
I think that G3's and G4's are mainly used for customs instead of rehairs because they are so readily available at uber cheap prices, they also seem to be what most buyers prefer to have their customs done in.

However, it almost sounds as though some collectors put a higher value on G1's vs any other generation. I know they are older and clearly found less and less often in excellent condition, I just can't help but think that those opposed to rehairs or customs don't seem to be the one's snatching up the baits on ebay or the arena, 9/10 it's someone who does rehairs or customizations, unless there are rare ponies in the lot. Just my opinion.

I understand why some collectors feel strongly about leaving the ponies the way they are, however I feel like it's up to each individual collector/artist to decide for themselves how they choose to spend their money and time, clearly there is a demand for it, or those of us who make customs and rehairs wouldn't be bothering to do it.

Not trying to argue as I respect everyone's opinion even if it's different from mine :hug:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

nollilols

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 08:15:25 AM »
I think probably the issue G1 collectors have with it is not so much what people choose to do with their own ponies; more the idea that the more people who get into customizing G1s in any salvagable state are limiting the number of original ponies floating out there in the ether - and that in the long run, they'll become more and more rare in their original state.

Then again, the exact same could be said about G1s gradually becoming more worn out and baity over time, so I guess it doesn't really matter whether its wear or customization that deviates them from their original form. I'm happy so long as I manage to grab at least one excellent condition sample of every pony I want, because then if the rest of the pony world ever suffers from a customization apocalypse, then I'll have my girls safe and sound!

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 10:26:48 AM »
I say "Yay," personally!

I think alternate re-hairs are great for a bald pony, (they especially appeal to me if they match the symbol or similar, like Lollipop's lovely Buzzer!) and I'd gladly own one someday, except that they also tend to be more expensive due to all the work put into them, and well, I'm also kind of cheap.  :lol: Another problem is I adore haircut ponies, too, so I'd probably never do a re-hair job myself!

As for the problem of losing the number of toys in their original form, I don't know if that's something to be really worried about for toys that were made mass-production. Do you have any idea how many millions of the same ponies they made? In my mind, probably enough that a few can go to re-hairs and customs. Obviously avoid re-hairing the rare or very valuable ones, but other than that, go for it.
I'll put something here some time

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »
Thousands upon thousands of G1s were released in the US alone, I mean 500+ total individual ponies, 50 states, however many stores... sure if people are buying up rares that are in "salvageable shape" from other countries and rehairing them, I feel a little... ehhh but we're not going to run out of BBE Baby Cuddles or Peachy's any time soon. I'd stake my collection on it.
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

TWILIGHTCOOKIE

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2013, 01:01:51 PM »
I don't like rehairs at all, I rather have a Mohawk pony than a rehair. And if I did have a rehair it would have to be original colors, I don't like the strange color combos that some people do.

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2013, 01:17:50 PM »

However, it almost sounds as though some collectors put a higher value on G1's vs any other generation. I know they are older and clearly found less and less often in excellent condition, I just can't help but think that those opposed to rehairs or customs don't seem to be the one's snatching up the baits on ebay or the arena, 9/10 it's someone who does rehairs or customizations, unless there are rare ponies in the lot. Just my opinion.

Well it's true that those sad ponies need to find love SOMEWHERE. In that respect I do think it's nice that some G1s can be loved anew even if they have to be altered because there are just too many of them floating around. I just personally hope that the not-terribly-common G1s being rehaired/customized are actually in very poor condition, hair and/or body wise. Also I hope the hair is saved to be used as donor hair on G1s missing tails, forelocks, etc! =)
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

DancingPhoenix

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 01:21:20 PM »
I buy baits for customs. If the pony I have is perfect except for it's hair (and I cannot fix it) then I will just do an alternate rehair as opposed to baiting the whole pony. If I just change the hair and not the whole pony, it remains at least partially collectable. I like to give ponies new life instead of them just being tossed out.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal