collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The history of Hasbro and fine art in My Little Pony  (Read 340 times)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
The history of Hasbro and fine art in My Little Pony
« on: December 07, 2013, 03:19:38 AM »
So I first noticed My Little Pony in fine art at the Marc Chagall exhibition at the Tate Liverpool this year. His cows, moons and stars reminded me so of Moon Jumper's cutie mark! (And he also has this green donkey that reminds me of Princess Rinse n Spit, but that's another story.)

Yesterday I went to two fine exhibitions at the Tate Modern in London, one about Mira Schendel and one about Paul Klee. Look what I saw!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Paul Klee with the Rainbow (1917)

Paul Klee Twilight Flowers (1940)

So I found images to show you from Klee but I can't find the Chagall that reminded me of Moon Jumper, it's really frustrating! I wish I'd written it down. If anyone knows what I'm on about and can help I'd really appreciate it.

One connection that links these artists is that they are European Jews so I looked up the history of Hasbro and guess what?

http://www.jewoftheweek.net/2012/02/22/jews-of-the-week-george-lerner-the-hassenfeld-brothers/

It could just be a complete co-incidence and I'm just linking random stuff  :) but I like to think that these artists may have influenced the designers at Hasbro. Anyway, I like that it made me look further into the history of the corporation behind our pony friends.

Have you noticed any pony-like motifs in fine art? If so, please post here!  :lol:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 05:47:15 AM by Artemesia Floc »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
Re: The history of Hasbro and fine art in My Little Pony
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 05:38:12 AM »
Cool, I'd never really known the history of Hasbro. The name makes sense now. :) I don't quite see the MLP motifs in the pictures you posted -- I do see a tulip, though, in the second. Posey?

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 05:50:06 AM »
 :biggrin: Yes! I thought it looked like Posey's cutie mark.

The rainbow struck me as hasbro-like because it has fewer than 7 colours and has pink instead of red. I know it's not really the same  :blush:

Post Merge: December 07, 2013, 06:41:28 AM

« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 06:41:29 AM by Artemesia Floc »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 10:17:30 PM »
Very interesting :) Its great you can find connections between 2 things you enjoy so much!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 10:10:26 AM »
Very interesting :) Its great you can find connections between 2 things you enjoy so much!

Aw, thank you :hug:

And since you all twisted my arm and are dying to know which painting features PRNS... I present to you...

Green Donkey.

Offline Radha

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • So Soft Pony
  • It goes ding when there's stuff!
    • View Profile
    • Tactile Memories
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 12:12:15 PM »
I know the Chagall you are talking about...can't remember the name.  Now I have to find it! *goes internet hunting*

Huh.  Well the one I was thinking of is actually a goat :blush:... but I found this one! I'd forgotten how much I like Chagall.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 12:20:28 PM by Radha »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 06:41:49 PM »

Aw, thank you :hug:

And since you all twisted my arm and are dying to know which painting features PRNS... I present to you...

Green Donkey.

LOL - ok I can totally see the resemblance on this one.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal