collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Are you afraid of shots or blood tests?

Yes
19 (31.1%)
No
33 (54.1%)
Yes, but only shots
1 (1.6%)
Yes, but only blood draws
8 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Voting closed: December 05, 2013, 12:45:20 AM

Author Topic: Needles/injections- Afraid or no?(tw: blood, needles, and medical discussions)  (Read 3279 times)

Offline Thrice

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • I drop science.
    • View Profile
Needles don't bother me but it is sad/adorable taking my kitty to the vet for his shots. He gets so quiet and scrunched up in his crate, poor baby.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 04:56:52 PM by Thrice »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
Im terrified of needles. However, once its in there, no matter the pain, it doesn't bothrr me. I have a problem with it puncturing my skin. After that im all good.

Im also planning on getting my secind tatt on the 14th lol. Don't know why, they don't bother me as much as I thought they would. I do try very hard not to freak out with needles however,jjust that initial breaking through the skin icks me out.

Offline babylofty

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
I'm not terrified of needles per se, but I can't watch them puncture my skin. That will make me nauseous.   I can't even watch them do it to someone else, or on TV. Once it's in, I'm fine, but I won't watch them withdraw it either. :P

I can watch people getting shot, I can watch people getting people beat up (on TV!), but watching a needle go into someone? That's a nope right there.
darcerin on the TP, arinaketchum on ebay, Salvia on PI

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Needles don't bother me but it is sad/adorable taking my kitty to the vet for his shots. He gets so quiet and scrunched up in his crate, poor baby.
I have a dog that does that. His Wes get huge and he crawls in my arms. My female dog though she squeals. A horrible high pitch squeal tht makes your eardrums want to bleed. :lol:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
I'm no afraid of needles, I'm rather fascinated and likes to watch when they stick me.

Offline starflyer425

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
ugh, how i DESPISE needles, both for shots and for blood. though i hate blood tests more: it feels so scary, having someone i barely know inject me with a sharp object and take my inner body fluids.  :shocked: probably never going to grow out of my fear of needles, no matter how much i think it through and rationalize that a shot will help my health.  :lookround:

Avatar credit to BotchanMLP on DeviantArt, and the Starflyer equestria girl is by LordBlumiere here on the arena!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
Oh I am so scared of them! I stop breathing and get light headed when I have to have one even near me.  I got allergies shot starting at the age of 5 and stopped 10 years later. Today this day I can still not get over it. I also cry when I have to get one or two. I hate them!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
I'm not afraid. I just loathe that I've never had a decent blood draw. It's as if my veins disappear for just those few mins of having the nurse poke, prod and excavate my arm. I always end up with huge garish black-purple-green-yellow bruise the size of a tennis ball for I kid you not WEEKS afterwards. The last person that drew my blood felt the need to pinch the skin around the needle as she drew all 3 vials. Yep, that experience was vial... :X  :crazy:
Don't start me on tetanus shots... >_< :argh:

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

flyawayraven

I don't really enjoy it and I always make sure to not look when I'm being poked, but I've luckily never had a panic attack or passed out.

I have to do weekly intramuscular self-injections and those take a BIG needle so I'm working over my nerves whether or not I want to. It's nice though because now I know what prep a nurse is supposed to use, and how to inject safely when giving a shot, so that takes some of the anxiety away.

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
I am terrified. To be honest, when I first saw this topic pop up in the forum it made me feel twitchy and tied my stomach in knots and it has taken me a few days to be able to comment ^^; I have a full blown phobia of needles and a few really bad experiences as a child have basically left me with PTSD symptoms where blood draws and shots are concerned, so even talking about it or thinking about it is really hard for me. It's really frustrating for me because I am 25 years old and when people find out I can't handle needles they huff and judge because a lot of them equate the fear with being a little kid, despite me trying my best to overcome the fear.

I do find that music helps me a teeny bit, and you sound like you handle it a bit better than I do so I suggest a music player or something. I keep one ear bud in and listen to music and then keep talking or sing along to just try and keep the brain as busy as I can. And also it helps so much if you have or find a doctor that understands. Having a person who gets that you have issues with it, then asking for the same nurse/doctor each time can do wonders because you get to know each other. I also tend to put a 'carrot' out in front of me and bribe myself lol. I deal with a needle, I get a pony ;)  Oh! And I also read somewhere some time ago that there is some sort of numbing gel that some doctors can use! They smear it on like lotion, the area goes numb. Apparently places use it a lot for kid patients. If you are like me, where the biggest issue is feeling, it may be something that you could inquire about. I know I plan to see if I can't get my doctor to order some for me next time i have to go in! :D I hope this was of some help and that your appointment went ok!

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
I used to be terrified of needles to the point I have to be restrained for a single booster.

...that is until my appendicitis which put me in ICU. after 3 days of hourly blood tests, 4 IVs at once, finger pokes and the rest... I just stopped caring. ^_^; Good thing too, cause then I was on 3 months of daily blood thinner injections to the belly.

Now, while I don't like it, I just turn my head and try to ignore it. Usually over much faster that way. Funny thing, when I got my first tattoo, I was more interested in watching the artist, even though it was dozens of needles and way, WAY more painful.  The tattoo bothered me less then getting blood drawn! ...maybe is the idea of them taking something out lol. I dunno.

MyLittleLambie

I'm ok with shots, but I don't like getting my blood drawn.  I don't like the "can't find the vein" scenario. I'm extremely anxious about it.  I have gotten in the habit of warning the nurse that they get 1 chance!!  I don't mind if they get blood from my super obvious vein in my hand.  So far, I haven't had an issue.  Either they are confident, or they use the obvious vein. I really would go home if they missed!!

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
blood taking hurts more i think as they are taking some thing out, shots are just putting stuff in so it hurts less i had a flu jab though and it did make the top of my arm hurtfor the rest of the day  :/ xaflame

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
I don't mind getting piercings because I get something out of it in the end. Blood drawing, however... if I see that needle, I get really nauseated and can pass out.  I make sure I warn them beforehand.

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

Offline garnetfirebird

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Beddy Bye Eye Pony
    • View Profile
I've had multiple piercings with no problems but medical needles are horrible.

A spike through the tongue or lip, whatever.  But a tiny syringe, hide me.

I punctured my thumb right to the nail with the eye of a sewing needle and it wasn't nearly as traumatizing as the last time I had blood drawn.

I'd rather cut off a finger than take an injection.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal