collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Antique Doll Collectors?  (Read 786 times)

girlyponce

• Trade Count: (0)
Antique Doll Collectors?
« on: December 01, 2013, 05:59:18 AM »
My grandmother recently passed away (which is why I have been almost non-existent on the forum for the past few weeks) and left me a few dolls. They are in pristine condition, given to her by her mother who would not allow her to play with them. I have no idea if they are worth anything besides sentimental value. If anyone knows about Civil War era china dolls please PM me! Thanks :)

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
Re: Antique Doll Collectors?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 06:14:10 AM »
You may want to post photos.  I've seen quite a few times here and other places where the dolls are not always at all old as they think.  If you're talking of the bisque and porcelain shoulder plate dolls, be aware there are at least 100 reproductions to the real thing.  Leave me a photo and I can likely help you out and give you some direction in what they are and what they are and what care you should take care of them.

girlyponce

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 02:25:42 AM »
Here is one of them, the others are all packed to ship. This one was hand labeled "Vermont Wishbone Doll" and does have a wishbone for legs. There is a manufacturers label (see last photo)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you all so much!

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 01:30:33 PM »
I don't know a thing about her, but she's lovely.  :)

I'm very sorry to hear about your grandma though.  :hug:

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline MiRaja

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 06:10:04 AM »
If that doll is representative of the rest, they're not Civil-war era.  The tag on the doll more than makes that apparent.  ^^  It's machined, and dolls previous to 1910 were completely handmade without tags and such.  The fabrics and textiles scream to me 1930, which searching for information on 'Kimcraft,' dolls, seems to be about the time the company was active.  Looking at her face, I think she's had a repaint at one time.  I see what looks to be composition crazing, and the paint goes 'into' the crazing, which is pretty indicative of a repaint.  There's very little information on these dolls, and they're not at all in my study, but she's no older than 1920, and from what examples I can find, this doll has had some work done to her paint and she may have had a wig.  Her molded hair doesn't look original to me, but that's just my guesses. 

girlyponce

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 06:24:12 AM »
This one I knew wasn't from the Civil War era, especially after I saw the tag  ;) A part of me thinks that this was a home job - they had a Kimcraft doll and made it into a Wishbone doll at some point in the 40s. I can't find any information to suggest that Kimcraft made Wishbone dolls at all.

Offline MiRaja

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 03:32:26 PM »
Me neither.  I looked through what I could find on them, she doesn't look like any of the examples of their dolls.  They're not overtly detailed in their faces and bodies, but a little more detailed and refined, so to say?  I can't possibly know every company, unfortunately, and wish I could be more help, but I can date just about anything.  ^^

girlyponce

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 12:16:21 AM »
Any help is GREATLY appreciated, as I know next to nothing about dolls.  ^.^

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 01:45:46 AM »
I don't know anything about them... from what little I read and understand... Kimport used different artists from around the world.  The company started in 1933 and lasted until the early 80s.  Kimcraft was founded by Kimport to focused on dolls in the US during WWII because it was hard to import dolls during that time.

source:
http://site.dollsaroundtheworld.com/Page_2.html
^ I bet the author of that page can help you.

And I also found a Facebook page that might be able to help.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kimport-Kimcraft-United-States-Presidents-Dolls/123542521073061

I hope you're able to find out more. I don't want to speculate too much and lead you in the wrong direction. :P

Sig art by SquarePeg!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal