collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Quality Review: EnterPlay Dog Tags (Revised!)  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Quality Review: EnterPlay Dog Tags (Revised!)
« on: November 29, 2013, 12:44:35 PM »
Thanks to a lot of people's responses, I've realized I made some errors in my review and I've adjusted it as follows:

As an avid collector of the My Little Pony Trading Card series put out by EnterPlay, I was interested when I heard they were putting out a new trading and collecting item: MLP dog tags.

After buying a bunch of them, I discovered that they only have so-so quality and many of them come out of the package with small damages. So very mint collectors should beware, you might be disappointed.

I figured I had a lot of fun trading the MLP Trading Cards, so I bought 14 of the dog tags at once. I figured I could trade the repeats if I got any (surprisingly, I didn't!).

First, what you get in each package, which are listed at $2.99 at Walmart and $3.99 at TRU:

1.) the Dog Tag
2.) a tattoo sheet just like the ones in the Trading Cards packages
3.) a 'decal' (a sticker)
4.) the check list sheet (same in every package)

So, the check list that they include in each package shows what there is to collect. There are 25 regular tags, each featuring a character or a symbol from the show. There are also 8 'metallic series' tags that are more rare and are black with a silver character or symbol on it. The tags are double-sided, with a different image on each side. The character ones usually have the character's cutie mark on the other side. Here's an image of the check list:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The quality of the dog tag itself is so-so. Originally I was very disappointed in the quality of the dog tags, but several people here have pointed out I was making a few mistakes when I reviewed them before. The quality is actually a bit better than I originally thought.

Out of the 14 dog tags I bought, about 5 of them were scratched up or marked upon being taken out of the bag. That's about one third of the ones I bought were damaged when I opened them.

The biggest problem in the quality is the chain that comes with each dog tag can scratch either the front or the back of the tag, which appears to be made of a super-thin piece of aluminum or something similar, with an image printed on either side. There is epoxy on the front of it (epoxy is a clear liquid the solidifies into a plastic coating) and a thin plastic covering on the back to protect the back image (this peels off, which I didn't realize at first). The bags don't have any markings so you can tell which dog tag is inside. They are packaged completely at random.

The chain that comes with each tag looks to be stainless steel, and I think this is where the damage gets done. The metal chain rubs against the dog tag during shipping and can scratch it all up. There is a thin protective piece of plastic on the back of the tag, but a couple of my tags were scratched so badly by the chain that even after peeling it off the image was still scratched. But the plastic covering does protect from a lot of the scratches.

Of the 14 I bought:
3 have a row of dimples on the front where the chain has pressed into the epoxy and left marks
1 has scratches on the image on the back
1 has both a row of dimples on the front and scratches on the back

As for the other items that came with the dog tag:

The tattoo sheets are the exact same as the ones that come in the trading card series (there are new pictures though) and probably work about the same on human skin. I haven't tried them, so I'm not sure about the quality of the tattoo.

The decal stickers that come in each package are a toss up for quality. If the image is large, like the decal of Rainbow Dash, the quality looks just fine. But several of the decals are images with very tiny details that are completely lost when the image was shrunk to decal size. For example, one of the decals is the same image as on the "Queen Chrysalis Poster" that EnterPlay sells. The poster features the giant face of the Queen and smaller images of the Mane 6 fighting Changelings on the bottom. I'm guessing they just took the poster image and shrunk the size in the computer and printed the decals. But the decal is so small that you can barely make out the Mane 6 and the Changelings. Mostly it just looks like the Queen with some colored blobs under her. Other decals with small details that get blurry/smudged include Rainbow Dash's Wonderbolts poster and the cover image for the Daring Do book in the episode where Rainbow Dash is injured.

The tattoos and decals are numbered and both are randomly inserted into the packages. It's not like the Rarity Dog Tag always comes with decal #5, or something like that. So even though I got all different dog tags, I got repeats of the decals and tattoos.

So in conclusion, for the most part the quality of the dog tags is acceptable for a $3 or $4 toy. For very picky merchandise collectors, please keep in mind when purchasing that there's about a one third probability when you open one that the back or front might be damaged by the metal chain.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 12:46:25 PM by Dragonflitter »
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline STLGusty

• Hockey Pony
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Quality Review: EnterPlay Dog Tags
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 12:55:02 PM »
Anyone who has read my "Trader support" thread regarding Enterplay knows I'm NOT their biggest fan...

I'm so sorry to hear you've had such a bad experience with their products, though.  Anytime you spend money, you expect it the product to not be damaged (regardless of how expensive or affordable the item is).  Have you tried contacting Enterplay to let them know your concerns?  They may be able to send replacements (or, if you're like me, they'll just ignore you for a month). 

Is my bitterness obvious? :P

That does suck, though.  Thanks for letting us know!!!!

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 01:33:32 PM »
hmmm... we are happy with ours. We have 32 of them. They aren't perfect, but good enough for my kids.

Offline Bergamot

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 10:33:55 PM »
They're cardstock? Geez! Being that they're dog tags, I would have expected them to be made of at least aluminum!

Enterplay seems to struggle a little with image resolution. I got the Muffin Pony poster that they sold over the summer. The stock is lovely and glossy, but the image itself has lots of scattered artifacts from being blown up and lossy. It appears that their artwork library isn't vectorized, and that is really strange!

Thanks for the review!

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters and 5Ds forever!
    • View Profile
    • Lucky Ladybug's Library
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 12:09:34 AM »
Oy vey! Cardstock?! I don't think I'll be interested in getting any.

Thanks for the review!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 01:20:14 AM »
Oh gosh cardstock? I knew they were not metal [although I think its understandable to expect some kind of metal] due to them having "specials" which were metal. But I did expect them to be at least a cheap printed plastic perhaps.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline melipuffles

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 02:13:11 AM »
I didn't realize they were cardstock...that seems very lame... :/ I'm glad the fancier ones are metal at least..

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 03:32:20 AM »
I wish the few metal ones had full-color pictures. I don't dig just having white outlines.

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 04:06:45 AM »
They are cardstock? I had no idea. I thought they were very thin metal.  Can you see the card? I really enjoy the artwork as seen on these dogtags but I haven't picked up any yet.

The have a second kind of dogtag:

I believe these are "deluxe" and metal. Has anyone purchased these yet?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 04:19:29 AM by Foxtale »
~Foxtale~

Offline Calico_Star

• Trade Count: (+63)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 04:17:37 AM »
They're not card stock.i thought so at first too, and was disappointed, but they really are metal or aluminum or something. I nicked one of mine on something and it definitely has a sharp edge that card stock wouldn't have. There is a filmy layer on the back of the tag though that you have to peel off. I'd originally mistaken it for card stock laminate.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 06:26:56 AM by Calico_Star »

:heart: My Deviantart :heart: Commissions: Closed

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 04:24:00 AM »
Ugh! I'm glad I held off on getting any. Cardstock, what were they thinking? Those won't last long, and just imagine how quick they'll wear out in the hands of a child! :( Well, more money for more worthwhile things!
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 04:35:06 AM »
I was doing more research into this. Do the back of the dogtags have a removable plastic cover? Like a screen protector? To protect them from scratches caused by the chain?
~Foxtale~

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 04:35:38 AM »
They are cardstock? I had no idea. I thought they were very thin metal.  Can you see the card? I really enjoy the artwork as seen on these dogtags but I haven't picked up any yet.

The have a second kind of dogtag:

I believe these are "deluxe" and metal. Has anyone purchased these yet?

Oooh. At least the deluxe ones are background-colored, instead of just black and white, like the picture at the top of the thread showed. That makes me feel a little better, even though I still don't like just having an outline for the characters' bodies.

moonlight twinkle

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 04:38:06 AM »
Cardstock?! That's terrible! :shocked:

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 04:50:33 AM »
I was doing more research into this. Do the back of the dogtags have a removable plastic cover? Like a screen protector? To protect them from scratches caused by the chain?
Yes, they do.

I'm tempted to dissect one of my duplicate tags to see what's in it.

Duster reference]

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal