collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I've painted it yellow; now what?  (Read 258 times)

CarnationTwirl

• Trade Count: (0)
I've painted it yellow; now what?
« on: November 25, 2013, 06:43:54 AM »
So I'm not really sure what I want to do with this G4 Earth pony I'm working on.  I have a pinkie pie base that I've primed then painted completely yellow.  Originally when I'd started I was like, okay, I'll turn her into Apple Fritter.  The thing is though, I kinda hate Apple Fritter.  I like her general colour scheme, yellow and green together is lovely, but her symbol.  Ugh.  My goal is making things look like fullsize factory versions of their blindbag toys, but it's just such a boring lazy symbol! I hate it.
This pony just isn't speaking to me, but I feel like it'd be a waste to start over.
So do I change ponies, try to make the symbol more interesting (god only knows how to do that) or keep pushing through and hope somebody is in the market for one?

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: I've painted it yellow; now what?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 06:45:17 AM »
Do a TAF version!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

DavidC

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 07:07:12 AM »
For me, if I'm not inspired by a character I couldn't do my best work. IMHO, if you like the colors but hate the Cutie Mark, I'd say make her a new character.

Yellow and green are a classic combination that could be lent to many things. What if you made her some kind of flower-type Pony? :)

Good Luck, however you proceed! :)

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 07:11:11 AM »
What about kiwi tart?

I agree that if you're not feeling the character, you shouldn't make it. I have 12 customs on the go right now, all in various stages. I have to be in the right mood, feel inspired and really want to do it. Otherwise I just ended up feeling frustrated with my work.

I do like the idea of a TAF pony, that'd be cute :)

Offline Cate_Dartfinger

• Queen of the Forest
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 07:14:56 AM »
You could turn her into a G1->G4 Posey. Or maybe Lemon Drop or a standing G4 version of Bubbles! I've been on a g1->g4 kick lately with all these extra mane 6 characters I've been accumulating. I wish they would sell some of the playsets sans ponies. Or just add in a new character instead of a 1,000 Pinkies!! Good luck! Post pictures of her when you decided what to do with her! :D

Offline LadySatine

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • It's time for the robot test!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 01:46:13 AM »
Sometimes I google the coordinating color of a pony, so in this case purple, and I get inspired that way. You should try it!

Off topic: DavidC, I see what you did there with your avatar. ;)

Vintage toys on Ebay:MLP Customs on Etsy: :freak: Commission Status: CLOSED:Avatar by FloralHippo:Siggy pony by Griffin :lol:

Offline WildBlue

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Possibly maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 02:17:24 AM »
You could add a strawberry!!

But, yeah Apple Fritter's cutie mark is very uninspired. Maybe instead of a cutie mark make on her back, like in the saddle kind of style people do with candies and such, into an actual apple fritter. A nice gooey glaze or sugary, perhaps with bits of apple like a real fritter too...mmmm

Though, I can see how this could go very, very wrong. lol
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 02:20:37 AM by WildBlue »

CarnationTwirl

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 02:59:17 AM »
I'm in no hurry to finish her, I always have at least 2 or 3 ponies on the go at a time.  There's some great ideas, I'll have to let them percolate for a while though.

Offline UrocyonFox

• Zombie BBE Pony
  • Trade Count: (+142)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Urocyonfox's Artwork
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 12:43:35 AM »
I myself am a huge fan of Apple Fritter so I'm a little bias. You could make her into a g1 magic star.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal