collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Can dry hair be helped?  (Read 310 times)

Ayalah

• Trade Count: (0)
Can dry hair be helped?
« on: November 12, 2013, 07:44:05 AM »
I have several lovely ponies whose only issue is very dry/breakable hair. I've tried conditioning with regular human conditioner. Does anyone have any better tricks?

Offline Leopard_Print_Unicorn

• New Wave pony on your Lisa Frank notebook
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Thread:
Re: Can dry hair be helped?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 09:17:27 AM »
Depending on the pony, you may want to use a flat iron. This is NOT RECOMMENDED on ponies with color-changing streaks in their hair because it will melt their hair. If you do use a flat iron, use it on a low setting, and keep the hair damp and coated in conditioner while you are using it.

If all else fails you could boil perm or otherwise curl the hair. It helps disguise the frizz. Before boiling a pony though, check to make sure their hair color isn't going to bleed in the water and onto the pony.
Formerly known as ponyRN.

Offline Roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 10:57:50 AM »
ok.. I got some ponies that had some VERY frizzy hair.
so lemme tell you what i did.. the first thing you need is some REALLY REALLY cheep conditioner.. the stuff you get at your local dollar store..
The reason for this is.. that it contains a LOT of petrolium products.
Which is REALLY good for healing the plasticy acrylic hair.. kinda like what you use to preserve a acrylic painting.
so the c heeper the better.. cus the ch eeper it is the more stuff like this it will have in it.
here is what i get my ponies with.http://www.dollartree.com/health-beauty/hair-care/Silkience-Silky-Smooth-Conditioner-20-oz/591c599c599p297001/index.pro. it works great and usually gets rid of the frizz.. what you need to do is leave it on over night.
and then DONT rinse it.. just comb out the residue the next morning.
hope that helps

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 02:00:17 PM »
ok.. I got some ponies that had some VERY frizzy hair.
so lemme tell you what i did.. the first thing you need is some REALLY REALLY cheep conditioner.. the stuff you get at your local dollar store..
The reason for this is.. that it contains a LOT of petrolium products.
Which is REALLY good for healing the plasticy acrylic hair.. kinda like what you use to preserve a acrylic painting.
so the c heeper the better.. cus the ch eeper it is the more stuff like this it will have in it.
here is what i get my ponies with.http://www.dollartree.com/health-beauty/hair-care/Silkience-Silky-Smooth-Conditioner-20-oz/591c599c599p297001/index.pro. it works great and usually gets rid of the frizz.. what you need to do is leave it on over night.
and then DONT rinse it.. just comb out the residue the next morning.
hope that helps

Huh, that's interesting-- to get the cheap stuff, but I suppose that makes sense! :) I'm gonna try that.

Oh, about the flat iron, also be careful not to use it on ponies with colored tinsel in their hair: it'll strip off the color very easily.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 05:58:05 PM »
I use fabric conditioner, it smells great and makes the hair softer too.

Depending on the pony, you may want to use a flat iron. This is NOT RECOMMENDED on ponies with color-changing streaks in their hair because it will melt their hair. If you do use a flat iron, use it on a low setting, and keep the hair damp and coated in conditioner while you are using it.

If all else fails you could boil perm or otherwise curl the hair. It helps disguise the frizz. Before boiling a pony though, check to make sure their hair color isn't going to bleed in the water and onto the pony.

:like:
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Ayalah

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 03:25:41 AM »
Thanks guys. Couldn't you almost just use petroleum jelly in the case of the cheap conditioner?

I nearly always use fabric conditioner when I have it too. I love it!

I've never used a flat iron on pony hair. Hmmm

PandoraFox

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 05:02:15 AM »
Flat-ironing can do wonders for a pony's hair, just be careful to keep the heat set to low indeed.
Also, don't try to flat-iron shimmery translucent tinsel. The kind pony bride and most tinseled g3's have.
It will melt, or at the very least frizz or curl on you.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 10:34:10 PM »
Its hard to describe and it largely depends on how damaged the hair is. Nylon is just plastic at the end of the day so if it is broken/split/deteriorated to a certain stage it is recoverable only to a certain point. Think of it like any other kind of plastic - you can fix it so far but you cant actually heal it in any way.

The conditioner simply acts to restore the plastic to the best condition the damage hair can achieve. A soak over night or through 24 hours in conditioner [wrap the hair in saran wrap to keep it moist] and then rinse out usually helps as well.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 01:06:42 AM »
Thanks guys. Couldn't you almost just use petroleum jelly in the case of the cheap conditioner?

I nearly always use fabric conditioner when I have it too. I love it!

I've never used a flat iron on pony hair. Hmmm
hmm.. never tried that.. usually because i thought it wasnt water soulable and wouldnt come all the way out.
but thats a thought.. if you wanna try lemme know how it goes!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal