collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How did you start deciding what to collect?  (Read 387 times)

LadyBird

• Trade Count: (0)
How did you start deciding what to collect?
« on: November 11, 2013, 02:44:16 AM »
I've just recently started collecting G1 ponies and I've noticed that I'm always impulse buying cheap ponies that come up. So I've decided I want to start going for "sets" instead of just random ones.  How did you guys decide on which sets to start with tho?

I know I plan to get Toppy because I have her twin. But then outside that I have no idea where I want to start.....

When you first decided how did you go about it so you weren't breaking the bank.

[Naturally I have a couple random grail ponies that I'd buy at any time if they price was right]

Offline An-Gel Sakura

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • I'm reading your mind as we speak.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you start deciding what to collect?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 02:47:48 AM »
I buy what ever Hasbro tells me to buy. ;)

Offline joce

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 02:53:44 AM »
 I didn't go by sets but turned it into a hunt. I didn't do ebay or much buying online. I just saw what I could find at the flea market and goodwill etc. The hunt is the fun part!

If I had one to complete a set that is usually when I would look here.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
-Roger Caras

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 02:53:58 AM »
My first G1 was Wind Drifter, who was my childhood pony. I got her with two other Flutter ponies. Then after that, I concentrated on the six ponies that inspired the G4 Mane Six. At that point I was pretty sure I would only get a few G1s.

Hundreds of ponies later, I realized that that plan didn't go to well. Lately I've been concentrating on completing my favorite sets.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Miss_Pompon

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 02:54:52 AM »
Well, at first I bought only the ponies I liked the most, then I complete their sets. But since I bought a lot of them by lot, I came with new ponies so new sets to complete and so on  :lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Made by LordBlumiere, thank you so much

My Want List

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 02:55:20 AM »
I had a number of childhood ponies-  I always picked up G1s at the swapmeet/flea-market when I saw them, or at the thrift store.

I don't think I actually started "collecting" them until I encountered the ponies with the super long hair, and ebay...  it was a long and slippery slope after that....

Offline sundaygirl

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 03:49:53 AM »
Oh yeah, ebay is a slippery slope..  ^.^

I started collect the ones I found cute. I still don't have a strict plan for my collecting, but I prioritize the UK:s at the moment. An advice to make it easier could be to pick a couple of favorite sets and decide to complete them.

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 03:50:59 AM »
Oh crikey, at one point I was buying every cheap lot that I could. But I decided to stick to ponies I like, and only now collect mint ones of the more rare pricey ones. I'm not a set completist, although I do want all the princesses at some point :)
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Emberfly

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • I Want to Sticker the World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 03:53:47 AM »
I all started with Mom buying me ponies from a yard sale... I found some ponies I'd never known existed, like the So Softs which I fell in love with.  I mostly did what you're doing, just looking for ponies I didn't have that were a good deal that I liked, and then spent a little more on the first 2-3 years of ponies since there were the ones from my childhood and the ones that I loved, like the SS and talking ponies.
Thank you to SquarePeg for my beautiful avi.

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 04:27:25 AM »
My mother bought me my first G1 ponies then I started collecting them. I eventually got rid of all my childhood ponies save for two. Then I found them one day in the basement with my other childhood toys. I took them out then started looking on Dream Valley. Then I wondered if their were any other ponies? I found ebay and the rest was credit card debt history. ><:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 04:30:19 AM by SkyCakes »

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 04:35:27 AM »
When I started collecting I really searched for a pony I really liked. out of all the ones I saw I really liked 'Milkey way' and 'powder'. I was determined to get 'powder' but ended up with 'milkey way' and love her more now.

So basically I have been buying adults and nothing else really. I realized I am just more drawn to them. So now I just kinda stick with them. I do have babies but not much of them, and I LOVE sea ponies but still drawn to buying just adults.

So as you collect more you will find out what you like the most, and you may have an exact goal now and that's ok. because your goal will probably change or you may find a clearer goal. So impulse buying is fine if you don't know what you like just yet because if you decide later on that you don't want that item you can always trade it or sell it.

I think buying complete sets is the smart way to go because it will help you later. Some people it takes years and years or collecting to complete sets as far as little accessories are concerned. Now if you are talking pony releases like TAF, Sunshine, ect.. then I guess it's up to you if it's going to be a fair price for the lot or if you will do better just getting them as you come across them.

So as far as not braking the bank. The way I went about it was I looked on ebay, craig's list, thrift stores, ect.

:accomplished:

Offline Poster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Beeeee fliiiiies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 04:58:30 AM »
When I first started actually collecting, I was only really interested in the regular-size brushables, and even then in only one of each character. Then I saw the Rainbow Collection and oops, hello incurable fondness for blind bag sized ponies. And then my ability to resist buying the glimmer wings Rainbow Dash gave way, and with it my "only one brushable per character" policy. :P

I do still prioritize, though. Generally characters I already have in a format in which I already have them are low-priority unless they have some differentiating feature that I find noteworthy enough (e.g. tinsel or poseability).

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 05:14:00 AM »
When I got back more actively in collecting G1's I didn't care which ponies I got, it was more about quantity over specifics. Now I go off of my wishlist and when I'm actively searching I try to find set completers before others...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 02:11:40 PM »
I... couldn't limit myself to certain sets or types of ponies if my life depended on it... XD They're all SHINY! I want all the pretty shinies! 8D

So yeah, I'm usually broke. :cloud:
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 02:32:46 PM »
For G1s, I buy what I find at local flea markets and thrifts and so on, but as far as buying online, I *try* to limit myself to blue belles...it doesn't always work that way, cause I'm not gonna pass up a super deal!

The G4's I'll just be happy if I can keep it to just what I can find locally.  So the brushables, styling, funco and pop! Figures, with the odd blind bags here and there! I seem to be getting the aurora plushes BABW, and TY ones too, lol...
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal