collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The down low on shipping prices  (Read 1023 times)

Ayalah

• Trade Count: (0)
The down low on shipping prices
« on: November 05, 2013, 12:33:09 AM »
Everyone, I have a question. How do some of you keep your shipping prices so low? Or maybe the word is accurate? Whenever I go to ship anything the lowest price offered me is always so high!! It cost me $12 to send a shirt out last week in a tiny light envelope! I know it depends on which method you use (In the USA) Like priority, media mail etc. And I've learned it always seems to cost more if you use post office boxes/envelopes (no matter what the ads claim). I'm just always so shocked! Every time I think I've figured it out I get blown away again.  :lookround:

I think it must be the same for the people who charge $7 to ship a single pony. They probably just don't know the secret. There is a secret right? Some of you manage it for $2! So spill please!

*waiting patiently*  :awake:

[moving to TS - kkat]
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 01:09:12 AM by kaoskat »

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
Re: The down low on shipping prices
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 12:52:33 AM »
I think a lot of it depends on where someone is located. Like in Canada? Shipping prices are crazy, Here's an example:

3 ponies in padded envelope to another city in Canada $10-$12 (more if they live in the middle of nowhere)
3 ponies in padded envelope going to the US $8

I know that Canada post recently changed what can be sent in an envelope at lettermail prices vs parcel prices. If the envelope contains anything other than paper, it's automatically considered a parcel if it's going outside of the country.

Pretty depressing :huh:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 01:15:13 AM »
I don't know where you are-  but for me (in the US) I package a pony with bubbles- put her in a non-tear envelope or bubble envelope- and then get an EXACT packaged weight (we have a postal scale at work)

Then I go to paypal-  click on the "multi-order shipping" button-  enter the weight and send by first class or priority.  Purchasing postage online gives a small discount on priority.  Both come with free delivery tracking.

Oh and prices go up dramatically when it passes the 1 lb mark.  So if the package is a boxed one- I will custom make a box that fits as snugly as possible so that it will come in under the 1lb.

I think the biggest mistake people make on ebay at least- is going with the "suggested" weight that they automatically enter for you, (which is a whopping 2 lbs).  If you don't catch that and change it (and it's easy to miss it really), shipping will be incredibly expensive.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 01:17:57 AM by Galactica »

Offline svleonard

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 01:53:25 AM »
The way you package a thing can alter its shipping cost.  For example, a package that weighs 14.5 ounces is probably going to be cheaper than a package that weighs over a pound.  Also, first class domestic is fairly cheap; if you add a tracking number, it adds 90 cents.  Priority, which comes with a tracking number, is more expensive.  Also, on ebay, sellers have to pay ten percent of their total amount to ebay, including shipping costs.

brittney_rochelle

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 02:09:07 AM »
I go directly to the Post Office to get quotes. I have a little list of prices that I keep (what, weight, where, price) to reference. I always ship padded bubble envelope unless it is a super large order of they ask for a box specifically.

The ladies at the City Post office ask me, "Where are you sending gifts to today?" I'll spill the secret that I'm a Pony Lady someday. Maybe I'll get a cute nickname XD

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 03:45:48 AM »
I think a lot of it depends on the people at the post office, too. Sometimes they'll automatically offer you the cheapest method, sometimes they'll quote you the fastest, etc etc. I think that the post office is definitely encouraged to push their priority services, and sometimes you have to specifically ask abut standard mail or first class. And flat rate envelopes and boxes can really hurt you if you're not careful. I always weigh and compare things first. Sometimes a flat rate box can save you money, but it can also cause you to spend WAY more than you need to if you're shipping lightweight items and they're not going very far.

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 03:49:57 AM »
I know that I try to avoid the post office altogether, well except for dropping parcels off. I prefer to print my labels through paypal (you get discounted rates that way), plus the customs forms are all taken care of too :)
I have a kitchen countertop scale at home, so I never have to go to the post office to get quotes, the only time I've ever had an issue with getting the wrong price was when Canada Post changed the ruled regarding lettermail.

I do agree that it does depend on who is working when you go in.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 06:59:53 AM »
I think a lot of it depends on the people at the post office, too. Sometimes they'll automatically offer you the cheapest method, sometimes they'll quote you the fastest, etc etc. I think that the post office is definitely encouraged to push their priority services, and sometimes you have to specifically ask abut standard mail or first class. And flat rate envelopes and boxes can really hurt you if you're not careful. I always weigh and compare things first. Sometimes a flat rate box can save you money, but it can also cause you to spend WAY more than you need to if you're shipping lightweight items and they're not going very far.

I totally agree with this (and with MikeysGrrl) -  the people at the post office provide variable prices, and I think they often make mistakes.  That's why it is better to do it yourself.   If not through paypal, then by getting an exact packaged weight, and checking the cost online (at usps.com).   That way you will know what your options are and the price of shipping before you get to the post office (and will also be able to question the postal employee if the price they give you sounds abnormally high)

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 08:33:03 AM »
I do all of mine on line. I have a postal kind of scale at my house. Its kind a hard to say on a shipping price.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
Shipping is expensive.  I mean, they
are
delivering the item directly to your door from anywhere on the planet.  ;) 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Sebby6

• Maid of Metal \m/
  • Trade Count: (+151)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://sebby6.darc.net
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 05:45:15 AM »
Shipping is expensive.  I mean, they
are
delivering the item directly to your door from anywhere on the planet.  ;) 

Aye. But the price you pay for said service shouldn't depend on what the postal lady had for breakfast that day!

Always looking for MLP erasers

Offline Tiffymh1fan

• Trade Count: (+116)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Im attracted to shinny glitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 05:30:32 PM »
Anyone feel the prices go up on large packages? I know my large packages I had listed on ebay got up charged so does anyone have advice on what to do there? Do I take the Up charge out of my pocket or do I ask the buyers for more money?

Glitter for everyone! :fireworks:

StarGleamer

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 06:44:14 AM »
NEVER ask a buyer for more money, i know, it seems to make sense but they will flip out. Its the sellers responsbility to pack and weigh it BEFORE. i cant do that, my house is too small but ive learned to eye thinsg up over they years

Offline Tiffymh1fan

• Trade Count: (+116)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Im attracted to shinny glitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 02:23:38 PM »
NEVER ask a buyer for more money, i know, it seems to make sense but they will flip out. Its the sellers responsbility to pack and weigh it BEFORE. i cant do that, my house is too small but ive learned to eye thinsg up over they years

I did weigh things and had the exact price. The shipping rates went up for larger packages, and my shipping price was for the rate before it went up. I got stuck with it, But Im wondering if someone else has ever been in my shoes before?
Glitter for everyone! :fireworks:

Offline Navi

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 04:04:11 PM »
A lot of times, I think the people at the Post Office are trying to push for Priority mail, which is more expensive than First Class. When I used to ship things directly at the PO, they would sometimes offer me only Priority, and I had to ask for the First Class price, which is usually under $2 for a pony in a bubble wrap envelope.

You can also get shipping discounts for purchasing shipping at home and printing it yourself. I think you can get the discounts if you print your labels through Paypal.
 :heart: Minty! :heart:

Seeking Petite Ponies (trade/wish list)
Formerly known as navichan.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal