collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: so upset but now happy, dream castle bleaching in progress - updated  (Read 1671 times)

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
Re: so upset, could this really happen to playsets
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 03:17:02 AM »
thanks so much :) i will have to try one of these here
http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Retr0Bright+Gel

luckily summer is pretty much here and i have a sunny deck. i will have to put up big barriers around it to make it kiddy safe.
i was looking at my castle again last night, all the pink has now turned orange and it was such a nice pink when i bought it, its going to take a lot of solution but at least not like the nursery it doesn't have stickers on the outside

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 08:50:10 AM »
Alas yes as others have said its a result of good old fashioned and evil ageing :( Heat, atmosphere, the chemical content of the plastic, light - everything weighs in a little.

As playset plastic is a little more forgiving than pony plastic, I would recommend emery's tutorial on H202 cream treatment. You can also duck the playsets in a highly diluted H202 bath but due to playset stickers this may not work for everyone. Just be careful when you use it.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 09:06:31 AM »
Nightmare. I'm sos orry. There good image files available for free to make repro stickers if needed. If you need I will try to find them again xXx
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline EmBee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 10:19:53 AM »
http://www.tested.com/tech/2505-why-your-old-super-nintendo-looks-super-yellow/

Gives information on yellowed white plastic.  Hope you feel better. :hug:

-Em

Offline shabbychicdee

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 11:46:24 AM »
thank you all so much for all the info, there is hope out there :)
when i get hold of some Hydrogen peroxide and the rest is easy to get hold of i shell take some before and after pictures for other pony peeps ;)
its going to be a task and a half for such a large playset, here's hoping it works cos i feel like i want to get rid of them at moment, they look terrible on display.........agh roll on payday so i can get this stuff :P

wanted list
for trade

Offline zora

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 12:48:08 AM »
thanks so much guys oh btw it was my home sweet home, i am so scared to check my ss's as they were petty much pure white  :yikes: i can't look i really can not look  :(

yes i will have to do my research on the Hydrogen peroxide cream solution to mix up and how much i need for such a big structure.
any info here would be much appreciated. every time i go to read up on things my kid start playing up  >_<

i had the same issue with my legos. i put them in a bleach bath for a day and they are almost white again ^^ maybe you can disassemble your home sweet home and put it in a bowl with bleach (the same liquid which is used for bleaching hair blonde).
Former Nirvana and BigBro Collector

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 01:55:41 AM »
My Lullabye Nursery is pretty yellow. I don't mind that much, especially since it was a freebie. X3 Not going to look a gift playset in the mouth, and I actually kinda like the creamy off white look. And my Show Stable has a lot of uneven discoloring on it. Sadly, it's inevitable and nothing lasts forever. It occurs to me that collectors of vintage toys are in a constant battle with time to keep their stuff looking nice.

thanks so much guys oh btw it was my home sweet home, i am so scared to check my ss's as they were petty much pure white  :yikes: i can't look i really can not look  :(

yes i will have to do my research on the Hydrogen peroxide cream solution to mix up and how much i need for such a big structure.
any info here would be much appreciated. every time i go to read up on things my kid start playing up  >_<

i had the same issue with my legos. i put them in a bleach bath for a day and they are almost white again ^^ maybe you can disassemble your home sweet home and put it in a bowl with bleach (the same liquid which is used for bleaching hair blonde).

But it has decals on it, doesn't it? :(
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 01:57:37 AM by reanna-mator »
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline shabbychicdee

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 03:48:37 AM »
it's a fun challenge to keep them mint :)
i have found some HP cream thanks to pythia so here is hoping i can work with that. the only sticker i have to worry about is the outer mlp sign in the stable :)

wanted list
for trade

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 08:12:00 AM »
My Lullabye Nursery is pretty yellow. I don't mind that much, especially since it was a freebie. X3 Not going to look a gift playset in the mouth, and I actually kinda like the creamy off white look. And my Show Stable has a lot of uneven discoloring on it. Sadly, it's inevitable and nothing lasts forever. It occurs to me that collectors of vintage toys are in a constant battle with time to keep their stuff looking nice.

But it has decals on it, doesn't it? :(

You can safely remove decals :) And then reglue them if need be. Sometimes thats the only option if you have a really  terrible condition playset.
Loa is my love god!

Offline shabbychicdee

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 08:22:10 AM »
hummm i was hoping to do the out side of the castle and leave the inside, it would be a nightmare fiddling with the stickers and i dont trust myself with them, how ever there are great sites out there that i think have down loadable sticker pictures. i wished i had tried to have a go with my bad condition nursery, instead i got rid of it, i loved it but the walls were brown and the roof orange :cry: and the sticker were written on and then afterwards i found i site replacement sticker pics..............i will have to go hunting for it now :)

wanted list
for trade

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 08:36:17 AM »
Lighter fluid and the decals really should just slide off without any issue [always test first of course!]
Loa is my love god!

Offline shabbychicdee

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2013, 10:09:35 AM »
oh of course, i did this on something else by mistake :lol: it was a turpentine spill, kind of same thing right?
i had forgotten all about that  :lookround:

wanted list
for trade

PandoraFox

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2013, 10:45:39 AM »
Lighter fluid and the decals really should just slide off without any issue [always test first of course!]

Yes! Lighter fluid is grand for removing stickers, if you're careful and lucky, the decals may even stay sticky.
Just let them dry and you can place them back later.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2013, 09:02:39 PM »
oh of course, i did this on something else by mistake :lol: it was a turpentine spill, kind of same thing right?
i had forgotten all about that  :lookround:

Same kind of idea yes :) But unlike with white spirit no risk to the paint/ink on the sticker with lighter fluid.
Loa is my love god!

Offline shabbychicdee

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: so upset but now happy, dream castle bleaching in progress - updated
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2013, 06:48:45 AM »
well i have had time to get sorted on this now.
here are some pics :D

here is my dream castle all dis-coloured, you can see the top rims are bright pink, the colour it should be

luckily the browning is on the outside so i might not need to remove the stickers just cover them up.... will see.
this is going to be hard with kids running around the house in the holidays but the sun is at its strongest so will have to find a hiding place.

was a sunny afternoon yesterday so stuck these two items in the sun with peroxide cream 9% strength
this was a quick practice run so silly me didn't take before photos

the desk was really bad, it was brown but as you can see after about 3 hours you can see its streaky and pink again, so i think 1 or 2 more goes when the sun comes out again it will look like new :biggrin:

this is really exciting as i nearly sold this a couple of years ago and wanted a nicer one but it would have been far too  expensive with postage included.

i will get photos up of my home sweet home soon

« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 06:50:22 AM by shabbychicdee »

wanted list
for trade

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal