collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Could use some feedback and help with selling...  (Read 776 times)

Offline Freeindeed

• Trade Count: (+208)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Iris Tiger
Could use some feedback and help with selling...
« on: November 03, 2013, 03:58:24 AM »
*deep breath* Okay... I'm not sure where exactly to put this, but I'll start it out here and mods, you can feel free to move it to a more appropriate forum if needed!

Basically I need some feedback from people about something that I'm trying to sell. I have been sewing G1 style plush ornaments to sell for Christmas this year. They are made out of felt, with embroidery floss hair.

Here are a few samples of my work:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I have them listed on both eBay and Etsy, but I haven't sold any of them, and my views haven't been very good either! Today I was pretty upset when I received this message through eBay:

too expensive for something homemade and cheap looking

At first I just brushed it off but I don't know, maybe I do need to make some improvements on these...

I am selling them on Etsy for $22 each (plus shipping), and on eBay for $24.99 each including free shipping, but I don't feel like that's an unfair price. They definitely aren't cheap... I sew them all completely by hand and carefully design, cut out, and stitch the eyes and symbols on. It's not like I iron or glue them on-- now I think that looks cheap and if I did that it would make them fall apart eventually. I even do the detail stitching on the wings, horns, ears, and nostrils!

It takes me about 2 hours to do each one from start to finish! So subtracting eBay/Etsy/Paypal fees and material costs I'm barely charging above minimum wage for them for the amount of work that I put into them.

I really do want to sell these... what (if anything) can I do to improve? Is the price really what's turning people off of these? I really don't feel like I can lower the price when like I said, I'm barely making minimum wage for the amount of time and work I put into them. But maybe I need to switch my materials to something that will be perceived as being higher quality, like fleece and/or nylon hair? Or maybe it's just too early in the year still and business will go up as we get closer to the holidays?

I genuinely want to know what would make you all want to buy these, since pony fans are my intended market! I would really appreciate hearing some feedback from you. :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 04:03:07 AM by Freeindeed »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: Could use some feedback and help with selling...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 04:19:34 AM »
For me, I think the price point is too high.
My first thoughts were that it was a pretty cute item. I started wondering if you did customs...
Then I saw the price, and it was an instant no for me. u__u; especially since I'm pretty artsy.

I wouldn't want to pay more then $15 (not including shipping) for a small handmade ornament with that sort of style.

I think handmade goods are pretty hard to price. My friend and I make little crafts for conventions. I do my stuff more for fun, but she's more serious making money from it. I know for the stuff she charges, she isn't charging minimum wage time. u__u; Her stuff would be too expensive, and wouldn't budge.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 04:24:05 AM »
Sorry to say, I do think the price is what's bothering people. They're used to prices in shops, and something like that wouldn't be more than $10 in a store. Do you sew a lot? Making these would go a lot faster if you have access to a sewing machine, and then maybe you could drop the price a bit. :)

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline Freeindeed

• View Profile
    • Iris Tiger
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 04:58:29 AM »
Thank you both for your feedback! :) You're right though, banditpony, pricing handmade things can be really tough. Especially because people don't think about all of the work that goes into something! I guess that's part of the problem with having cheap goods shipped in from China to sell in the shops. People expect everything to be sold for that cheaply! When really, it's the companies paying these poor sweatshop workers pennies an hour that allows for the prices in the shops to be so low. I mean, if we had to pay fair prices to the workers things would be priced a lot higher than we're used to! But I guess that's another rant for another time. LOL.

But yes, Shiromisa, I do have a sewing machine... it's just that these are so small with so many curves in such a short space that I really have a tough time getting them to come out right with the sewing machine! Maybe I just need to keep practicing.

I will have to think about what else I can do to cut the costs of these. I don't want to just sit on them and not have them sell... maybe I will swallow my pride a bit and try to price them for less and see what happens. :)

Offline Dewprincess

• Trade Count: (+125)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 05:07:58 AM »
$20-25 is the same price point that I had my custom plush ponies at...they were about the same size as a G1 baby Hasbro Softie and also made of felt with yarn hair.  Production time from start to finish was about 4-6 hours.  Even then, it took some time to move them and I gave the last few away in a giveaway.

It's a very tough market with homemade pony items, as it seems that everyone and their sister is doing plushies as well (at least, that's what it seemed when I was making mine!)...because of that, it's even more vital for the price to be competitive.  A more reasonable price point for these would probably be about $10, as Shiromisa said :)

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 05:13:32 AM »
LOVE the Bowtie one!

That message is a tad rude.  They don't look cheap, they're quite cute.

I'd say $10 too.  Could you advertise them a lot on the forums and maybe sell them without so many fees eating into your profits?  I don't know about everyone else, but part of the problem for me is that $10 or $25 spent on a homemade item would have bought me a pretty nice original pony or accessory.  It's hard to convince myself to spend money on homemade things because of this.

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline Freeindeed

• View Profile
    • Iris Tiger
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 05:15:31 AM »
Okay, $10 I definitely can't do... that would not even be worth it to me for the amount of work I put into these. But I can possibly do a $15 price if I can speed up my work time and buy materials in bulk. Would $15 be a better price?

« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 05:17:02 AM by Freeindeed »

Offline Dewprincess

• Trade Count: (+125)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 05:19:48 AM »
Hmm...how big are these?  Are they roughly the height of a G4 pony or are they bigger?

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 05:25:11 AM »
It's very difficult to make a profit selling handmade goods.  Try not to feel bad, I have tried selling things before too and by and large there just isn't enough demand. 

For me it's not so much the price as the design. The bottom looks turned under and stitched so there is no obvious line but along the back and ears it looks like a different stitching that I don't think looks as seamless.  It comes off much more 2d.  Also I wish the horns/ears had distinct separation. On the unis I have trouble visually distinguishing.

But that's just me.  It is probably a personal preference thing. 
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Noepse

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 05:36:21 AM »
I'd definitely consider buying one at $15, they are really adorable! ♥

Offline mul-ta

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Actually a Furbob
    • View Profile
    • garden
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 05:53:54 AM »
You're right about one thing - you deserve to be paid for your design, time and hard work. That said, I don't really see myself paying $22 plus shipping to Finland for a holiday ornament, unless it is a very special Imperial German one (my bias). In this case it's partially because I'm artsy craftsy enough to make my version of these and enjoy the process. What I can do is to share my suggestions.

First off, I quite like your ponies' eyes, and I think the hair of embroidery thread (I believe it's actually cotton, correct me if I'm wrong) looks much better than nylon would.

I second sewing machine for finishing the edges. Turn under as much as you can. Most people's hand stitching does look uneven and that probably does contribute to the "cheap" look… Another thing is that you use simple running stitches for details and attaching the extra pieces. I would play with more attractive embroidery stitches, for instance for the symbols, or embroider them altogether like you seem to have done on Masquerade. The same goes for detail stitching. I imagine stem stitches on the unicorns' horns would look a lot better. The downside is more working hours… Why have you used what looks like white thread on Applejack? It stands out on an orange pony.

I especially like the CP pattern. save for the fact that it is terribly imbalanced with the pony's butt up in the air. Is there a reason why you didn't attach the string closer to the center of balance? Also, I'd like to see an improved unicorn design. At a distance it is hard to tell the difference between the horn and the ear…

ETA - sorry, I write so slowly I didn't see some of the newer replies coming.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 06:57:15 AM »
Maybe you could make hair out of something other than yarn? I know I personally don't like yarn hair, but that is just me. Then we could look at the yarn hair vs other type of hair and share our thoughts on them.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 07:01:48 AM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 07:50:51 AM »
I do think the ornaments are cute, however much like others have said although you deserve to be compensated not only for materials but also for your time, it's quite difficult to sell handmade items, especially things like these when others are making similar ones and selling for much less.

I'm also quite crafty and creative, so I wouldn't part with more than $10 tops, and even then, I'm more likely to make it myself as opposed to paying out of pocket for one.

You're work is cute though and people do like stuff like that, unfortunately I don't think they would sell unless you were willing to drop the price drastically or take some of the suggestions that mul-ta gave.

By the way, that person who sent you that message was very rude, and that was uncalled for. So :hug: for you :)

Offline Radha

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • So Soft Pony
  • It goes ding when there's stuff!
    • View Profile
    • Tactile Memories
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 09:56:38 AM »
  I think they are lovely and not cheap looking- they look handmade, which I think has quite a bit of charm but  maybe isn't a look for everyone.  Some people just need to spread meanness for no reason, I think.

I do agree about the horn/ear issue.  Enthusiasts are particular about details, which is something you will have to deal with when marketing to them.    ^.^

Unfortunately I also have to agree about price too.  It's not that I can't see the work you put it, it's just that I wouldn't spend that on myself for a non-pony.

I wonder, though, if you offered to do custom orders or sets? A set of TE's or MgR ponies might really appeal to someone who loves that particular group.  You might also market them as gifts for people to buy people who love ponies.  After all, some of us have hundreds of ponies, and this would something a person (spouse, parent) would know they didn't already have!

If bulk buying would help the cost, I would say try that. Depending on how many you've made, you might find you can speed up your time with practice.  You might also sell a few cheaply to build up feedback and interest. I know it would sting but I think the pony community appreciates quality and if a few people say how much they like them others might be willing to buy them. 

They are really cute, and I like the embroidery hair quite a bit.  Good luck  :cheer:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 10:02:41 AM by Radha »

bronycraft

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 10:28:22 AM »
I like these, but as I'm a sewer myself, I'd probably rather make one than buy one...I've come across so many crafters in the pony community, I think several people may think this. 

In the UK, there is a lady selling these for around £8-10 (around $12-15).  So price point is definitely something that may put people off. 

I know how hard it is to sell handmade items - it's entirely up to you if you want to drop your price, or hang on until the buyers come along.  The way i look at it (because I was thinking of doing something similar myself a while back) is that Build a Bear ponies are around the same price - I know they're not the same thing, but that's what people will probably be measuring against :/

Maybe try advertising them differently? Like, mention all of their uses, as holiday ornaments, all year round door hangers, coat peg identifiers for kids in school, or put some scented potpourri in them and sell them as drawer and wardrobe fresheners! The world is your oyster :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal