collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Only-Child and toys  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
The Only-Child and toys
« on: October 29, 2013, 10:20:56 PM »
Hi there :)

a few days ago, I from a friend that she was never really attached to her toys as a child because "being an only-child having tooo many toys".
Now I came to think I Id like to hear everyones opinions on this :)
I was an only-child and an only-grandchild back than too and I really was spoiled rotten... Oh my I had soo many toys and stuff. My grandma would buy we almost everything I wanted, my aunt did so too soo... I really had tons of stuff.
But I loved every single piece! I was attached to each pony, doll, plushie, I even loved my doll clothes to pieces!

Today, me and my husband were cleaning out the cellar and were planning to drive the stuff that nobody would need directly to the local dump to get rid of it. Robert had already prepared tons of boxes ready to sort and so I started with some old (and very stinky) plushies and old clothes. I came across my old doll Claudia. She was dirty, smelled like Eww and her head was deformed from lying there in the cellar for years. I decided that she wasnt safable so I put her into the trashbag. She was followed by another doll and some plushies that were worn off and damaged. We drove to the dump but when I stood there, I wasnt able to throw my dolls away myself. Robert understood and took the bags away for me. The whole drive home I thought about them. They were old, dirty and nobody wanted them. It was ok to throw them away and I dont really regret it, but... I remembered how dearly they were loved and even since I was a spoiled rotten child, I really loved my toys, no matter how many I had.
How about you? Did you have many toys in childhood? Did you bond with certain toys a lot? Or not at all?
Tell me about you and your toys :) Did you keep any? Did you throw them away? Did you sell them?

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: The Only-Child and toys
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 10:36:19 PM »
I still have most of my toys really. Most of them are still in storage back home. Most of the important ones I brought with me when I moved, but I adored them all.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Don't dream it, be it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 10:48:45 PM »
Only child here.  I still have almost everything, and I loved all of them. My mom saved the boxes for things she thought I'd want later, and made sure that she kept almost everything just in case. I have boxes in my attic full of toys, lol. I was mostly into ponies, stuffed animals, and barbies.  I think the only toys that I don't still have are things like chemistry sets, build your own radio kits, stuff that doesn't store very well. I don't understand being too spoiled to love your toys.  I went to private school, so none of my classmates lived near me, and I didn't have anyone to play with for most of my childhood, so your toys kind of are your friends.  It sounds sad putting it that way, but I think it makes you use your imagination and become more creative.

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 10:55:21 PM »
I think it's more of a personality thing. I have two children and one gets overly attached to toys (and blankets) and the other couldn't care less... as long as there is something to play with, she's happy.

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 11:02:11 PM »
Another only child here :hiya:

I was definitely spoiled rotten, I had so many toys that I never knew what to do with them. However I never did get the ponies or barbies that I had my heart set on :(

I was the kid who always cut barbies hair and redid her makeup, I was always trying to make my barbies look more punky lol.

I don't have any of my childhood toys, I don't believe that I got rid of them, I think that my family donated them or threw them away as I got older and went away from toys.

I never really developed any attachment to any of my dolls, ponies etc. With the only exceptions being stuffed bears, I remember always having to have my bears when I went to sleep :)

I had an attachment to my pink boombox, does that count? Music is my life though, it's always been important to me, so that is probably the item I cared for the most, along with books and my skateboard. So I guess none of those are toys  :P

ashlite

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 12:22:23 AM »
I'm an only child as well! There are so many of us here!

I never had a tonne of toys, just enough and some, like my ponies were hand-me-downs from older cousins. I didn't love Barbies, they lived in a garbage bag in the basement (and still do to this day) and dolls were never a big deal for me either. I had a few stuffed animals though that I adored, mainly, a small chicken, a skunk and a dark brown bear named "Black Teddy" and a small blue bear named "Blue Teddy". The bears lived at my grandparents house because I spent a lot of time there and the chick and skunk lived at my house. I still have these 4 because they were and still remain dear to me. I have a few other toys that I kept from childhood, but nothing too extravagant and only enough to fit in one small box.

I found growing up I was attached to the toys I had because I never had too many. But I actually spent a lot of my time playing outside or at friends houses playing with their toys.  ^.^

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 12:30:01 AM »
I was an only child and while I did love my toys I wasn't attached to all of them. My mother keeps trying to hoard them all because she has issues. While I want to move on and sell stuff off to collectors or find stuff new homes where they will be enjoyed. I still have way too much stuff and it makes it so hard to downsize with her around. :( I suppose I should be happy I didn't get the hoarding gene like most of that side of the family.
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Sandra

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 12:38:32 AM »
I am an only child also. I was spoiled rotten as a kid but always treasured my toys. The only reason I don't have most of them anymore is because my parents slowly donated them little by little when I was a teenager and dubbed "too old" for those kinds of things. I didn't really play with them anymore, they kind of just sat there... But I still wouldn't have wanted to give them away. I am a person that hates clutter but I still would've wanted them around. Perhaps in storage, but still in my possession nonetheless. It's hard to let stuff like that go.

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 12:48:46 AM »
I lost almost all of toys as a kid. We were moving and I just put them all in a large trash bag. And my step dad throwed them away thinking it was trash. I did loved everything though but I had to many toys. I never really appreciated what I had. I do now but I don't like clutter so I get rid of a lot of stuff not.

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 12:56:19 AM »
I am an only child also. I was spoiled rotten as a kid but always treasured my toys. The only reason I don't have most of them anymore is because my parents slowly donated them little by little when I was a teenager and dubbed "too old" for those kinds of things. I didn't really play with them anymore, they kind of just sat there... But I still wouldn't have wanted to give them away. I am a person that hates clutter but I still would've wanted them around. Perhaps in storage, but still in my possession nonetheless. It's hard to let stuff like that go.

This! I miss all my childhood Jasmine dolls and my childhood ponies and Lisa Frank stuff. :( Luckily I was old enough to keep my mother away from getting rid of my Digimon stuff. XD My dad supports nostalgia so he wouldn't have gotten rid of my childhood toys.
-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 01:12:30 AM »
I am an only child, and I have a lot of my old toys. Less favourites have been purged over the years, but I've kept quite a number of my toys, books, plushies, etc. Most are in storage (either at our place or my parents).

Some I got super attached to and will never let go of - like my dolphin plush that still shares hogs my bed - I physically cannot sleep without him next to me.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 01:37:39 AM »
Well coming from an only child.. who is still kind of child (16), Im really attached to my toys. I was always spoiled, and it was very hard for me to get rid of things. I absolutely wont get rid of things people have given me. My walls and shelves are full of plushies, and I keep a lot of childhood things in the attic. Even my VHS tapes are still with me, no matter how young of an age they were meant for. 
All my books from childhood I refused to get rid of.

I still believe the worst thing I ever had to go through was when their was a toy drive at school and I was forced to donate 5 garbage bags of plushies. While I admit, they were taking over my room, I didn't want to get rid of them.

I have memories of christmases where I'd get toys and not play with them and STILL refuse to get rid of them.

I know my parents probably wont ever leave our house here, so I hope that even when I move out one day they'll keep my room the same and not get rid of any of my things. I know I'll bring my ponies with me when I go, but I want to know all my other things are safe until I'm ready to loose them.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline balletpot

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Avatar: Childhood Bow-Tie in a new outfit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 01:42:40 AM »
I'm an only child too and yes I got many toys when I was little, I also have a tendency to get overly attached to things, so I loved most of them. I say most because sometimes you got things you didn't like or wanted, like dolls.... *shudder* However I can still feel nostalgic even about the things I wasn't fond of. Guess I'm "nostalgically wired" in general, if you can say that. I have my childhood toys stored at my parents' and I had to go through them all searching for lost pony items a while ago. :)  Speaking of that, I still get really sad over toys that I have lost, MLP ribbons, an MLP sticker, the boxes I threw out as an adult etc.

Offline melipuffles

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 02:12:51 AM »
I was an only child until I was 17 years old, so yes, oh yes, was I spoiled.

....In fact, I'm STILL horribly spoiled.  :blush: My mom doesn't really know how to say no, and even if she does, she relents pretty easily.

But anyway....I was very attached to all of my toys, got horribly upset if my mom tried to throw them out, and still have a good majority of them to this day. A bunch of very important toys of mine got stolen when we moved them to the basement in our old house, and I STILL haven't been able to forget about them...I've been trying to get back a bunch of them, but since they were a lot of old Digimon and Pokemon toys, a lot of them are rare and hard to find, or very expensive now. :(

I knew kids who weren't attached to their toys, but I certainly always was...especially plush toys!

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 02:24:43 AM »
I was an only child and only grandchild (until I was 13) so I was the baby of the family. My family and their friends spoiled me rotten with toys and my grandfather, that lived in Germany was known as Deka Barbikic (Grandpa Barbie-er or something) because he brought me so many toys from Germany :)

However, like you, I adored and treasured every single toy! Now that I've moved to Iceland, I brought all my ponies and barbies with me, and most other toys as well. Plushies are still back home with my mom, but they are safe and sound :)
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal