collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: where is a reference for the arenapony?  (Read 393 times)

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
where is a reference for the arenapony?
« on: October 25, 2013, 07:32:51 PM »
hello there!
i am looking for a full body reference of our beloved arena-pony made by sirithfin. ;)
yes, i know it is in the banner, but is there a reference sheet for details somewhere?

also, i would like to ask you personal opinion about ponyhair in drawings. do you like it more like real hair or better if it looks perfect like on a freshly styled pony? ^^

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the g1 cartoon artwork always remembered of a layered haircut, not all the hair has the same length. what  do you think?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 09:15:29 PM by emuel »
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline Griffin

• Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
Re: where is a reference for the arenapony?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 08:01:06 PM »
I think different hair styles suit different ponies, and sometimes it's fun to just play with the hair or stylize heavily... thinking something like Art Nouveau here, or just hair that's so long and thick and luscious it would be impossible in real life. Whatever feels best at the time!

Of course it also depends a bit on the background/scenery, too - perfectly neat out of factory/salon hair usually looks more convincing on an abstract background (or none at all), while naturally flowing or messier hair fits outdoor pictures better. Real horses often have tufts of longer and shorter hair, their manes are not perfectly even, so sometimes that layered cut style may look more realistic. Then again, there are real horses with manes as long and perfect as those on Barbie horses, so... I think everything goes!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 09:55:48 PM »
you really have a point there! ^^
it shall better fit into the general style of the whole artwork.
art nouveau is very beautifull and i loove the flowing lines!  realism is very cool and the foundation of anything art, but i often heard critic if mlps looked to realistic. XD

i really ask myself, what would be the best grade to draw mlps? for example, if people draw characters or sketches for further customs, what grade of realism do you take?

as there are some who try to avoid semi-realistic drawings, are there also people who avoid too much abstraction? (like chibis or such)
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 02:49:35 AM »
It is all a matter of personal taste as how much is too realistic and how much is not enough.

As to the Arena Pony I shall ask for you, I do not think her refs are stored anywhere public. 
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal