collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Coming to terms with my red hair  (Read 437 times)

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
Coming to terms with my red hair
« on: October 22, 2013, 12:35:40 PM »
Okay, so something happened today that I have to share!!

First of all, a short background: I was born with wavy, light-medium brown hair and have always been proud to be a brunette.  I dyed my hair red a few times in college (first time was a dare from my roommate), but I always used a temporary, 28 wash color (I'm too chicken to use permanent color).

However, back in 2008, I spent the summer (3 months) in a small villa in Mexico. The small village that I lived in had no "running" water, and all of the villa's water was pumped up from the bottom of a rocky hill and distributed down through the villa. The water was not filtered and contained TONS of sediments and rust.  After bathing in the water for three months, my hair turned brick red and was waxy and curly!! (not to mention how wrecked my skin was)  Everyone thought I had dyed my hair red after I returned to the US.

Since 2008, my hair has remained red and never turned back to my natural color.  The color has faded from brick red to an auburn color, but still remains red.  At first I was HORRIFIED by the color of my hair!  I wanted my natural color back, but I haven't seen it since. I had a hard time accepting the red hair, and briefly considered dying my hair brown again. However, I realized that I couldn't match my natural color and I'm still too chicken to use permanent color.  I have slowly and gradually decided to accept my red hair.

I started noticing that people would refer to me as a "ginger" or a "redhead." I have never been able to use these names to describe myself (until recently), and I felt awkward when people would use those words to describe me.  However, I can finally say that I LOVE being a redhead!!! I think that my new haircolor really suits my personality!!  I have accepted my red hair as part of my body (just like my flat feet and my crooked nose).  I have finally come to terms with being a redhead!!

Fast Forward to today:  Over the past few weeks I have been worried about my hair.  I changed shampoos a few weeks ago. I changed to a shampoo and treatment that are supposed to thicken hair. I have had EXTREMELY FINE hair since birth, and I am constantly looking for products to thicken hair without making it waxy or frizzy.  The new shampoo and treatment seem to be working (making my hair thicker), but I think it is causing my hair color to fade.  I have been looking in the mirror every day and I fear that the red is fading and the brown is coming back.

Five years ago, I would have been thrilled to have my brown hair back, but today I am sad to see my red hair fade. I want to dye my hair back to auburn, but I feel that it would be cheating (and I really like my "Mexican" red hair which cannot be found in any box at the store).  Plus, I'm still chicken!  I've been worried about losing my red hair!

BUT TODAY a nice lady made MY DAY!!  A few weeks back I met a nice lady who volunteers at the church that I work at.  Today, that lady, three of my coworkers and I were discussing Halloween costumes (the church is doing a fair and we are all wearing coordinating costumes).   One of the costume options was Strawberry Shortcake. This lady suggested that I be Strawberry Shortcake because she said I ALREADY HAVE RED HAIR!!!

This lady has only known me a few weeks and she called me a redhead!!! It felt awesome!! Even though I'm not a fan of Strawberry Shortcake (I loved the classic Strawberry Shortcake as a girl, but don't care for the modern incarnation), I was flattered by her comment!

I guess the fading red hair is all in my head. I must be getting paranoid!  If a lady who has only known me a few weeks calls me a redhead (and I have been using the new shampoo a few weeks), then I must not be as brunette as I thought!

I'm glad that I have finally accepted my "gingerness" because it looks like the hair is here to stay!!!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Coming to terms with my red hair
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 02:23:08 PM »
LOL kittybethy you are too cute! That story is just adorable! I've always hated my hair color you really are very lucky you loved your old color and now love your new color!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 12:16:32 AM »
Thanks sweetie! It has been a journey indeed!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 04:06:14 AM »
That's adorable!  Soo glad you are loving your hair^^

I can totally relate to hair changing over time, too.  Not with colour for me, but with texture and other similar properties.  Being sick (for me) did that, but other things will do it too...like stress or a change of pace.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 06:55:11 AM »
I love being a ginger.  Own it.  XD

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline LeighAnnApanites

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "...there is too much, let me sum up."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 02:08:50 AM »
What a great story! And congrats for being such a great example of learning to accept and love yourself just as you are, even though it's hard sometimes. I've always wanted to be a redhead (I'm brunette), even dyed it a few times, but it's not something I'm going to maintain so I just try to enjoy my hair the way it is.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal