collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is Northstar saveable???  (Read 862 times)

Offline cassstorm

• Cheeky Monkey Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+442)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Is Northstar saveable???
« on: October 14, 2013, 08:03:21 AM »
So I really wanted a North Star (one of my favorite childhood ponies I cannot find) and I bought this lot on ebay.... it was cheap, but I did not realize the extent of the damage.. Is there anything to fix her? I wouldn't mind deflocking her, if I had a clue how y'all do it.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also- found one of my missing ponies, but she had fallen behind the feed buckets, I think she is done for.. will post pics later, but could someone give me some tips on cleaning? I know everyone talks about using the magic erasors, going to pick up a few of those tonight. But I am not sure if her hair is rusted or just dirty etc, do you just use regular shampoo etc? dishsoap? any tips are greatly appreciated!

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
Re: Is Northstar saveable???
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 08:53:06 AM »
Pony shoes!  Or little socks. :socks:  They hide a multitude of damage. ^.^

From what I can see, her flocking otherwise doesn't look so shabby, but it's your call whether to deflock or not.  There are some excellent tutorials here:

http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/body.html#SoSoftPonies

and I can personally tell you that if I can do it, you can too. :lol:  Easy peasy lemon squeezy!  (I actually deflock a lot of super grubby ponies - if you need help, feel free to pm me. ^.^ )

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 08:57:39 AM »
Sugar has given you all the help you need :D

I personally use any type of shampoo to wash pony hair, a good conditioner and then I brush the hair with a metal toothed comb and leave the pony upside down to dry for a couple of days.
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 10:57:54 AM »
Yes, shampoo and condition the hair. And if it is rust, toothpaste will get it out, although you'll have to condition again since the toothpaste can leave it a bit dry. You can also clean the body with toothpaste and a brush, but that's not really worth the trouble if you're getting a magic eraser.

Offline cassstorm

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 12:00:31 PM »
Sugar-great tutorial! I need to decide if that's what i am going to do.. you can see her mark so much better then!  What do you clean so softs with??

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 12:03:23 PM »
If you can't seem to save the hair, you could always try a rehair! :) That will devalue a pony if you decide to sell, but it may be worth it to rehair a childhood toy for sentimental reasons.

Offline cassstorm

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 12:05:45 PM »
princessmintysparklepants. . ( uh is there as abbreviated form of your new name lol) and Eliso; great, thank you! i have been using my hairbrush on my ponies lol, it works better than theirs, didn't know about the comb! Sounds like Mariah-bug and I are finally got to work on a pony spa day like she has been wanting  :satisfied:
Thank-You!!

Post Merge: October 14, 2013, 12:07:50 PM

If you can't seem to save the hair, you could always try a rehair! :) That will devalue a pony if you decide to sell, but it may be worth it to rehair a childhood toy for sentimental reasons.

I would have to have someone else do it, no idea how that works but i am always seeing someone on here talking about stabbing themselves and i am already accident prone lol.. but it is Fizzy, so she would probably be expensive to rehair huh?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 12:08:51 PM by cassstorm »

Offline Aerora

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 12:22:46 PM »
Sugar-great tutorial! I need to decide if that's what i am going to do.. you can see her mark so much better then!  What do you clean so softs with??

I believe you use warm (not hot!) water and a toothbrush with soap - gentle enough that you don't take all the flocking off, but should actually clean it.

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 01:09:45 PM »

I believe you use warm (not hot!) water and a toothbrush with soap - gentle enough that you don't take all the flocking off, but should actually clean it.

I do cold water, shampoo, and a baby toothbrush, scrubbing gentle.

Offline cassstorm

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 01:14:26 PM »
i think i actually have a soft toothbrush f from the dentist somewhere lol.. oh as for the toothpaste- does matter if its colored?

Post Merge: October 14, 2013, 02:43:59 PM

Pony shoes!  Or little socks. :socks:  They hide a multitude of damage. ^.^

From what I can see, her flocking otherwise doesn't look so shabby, but it's your call whether to deflock or not.  There are some excellent tutorials here:

http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/body.html#SoSoftPonies

and I can personally tell you that if I can do it, you can too. :lol:  Easy peasy lemon squeezy!  (I actually deflock a lot of super grubby ponies - if you need help, feel free to pm me. ^.^ )

:blush: feeling like an idiot! i went back on the tutorial to read it more in depth, and realized there was a while lot more at the top!!! duh :blush:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 02:43:59 PM by cassstorm »

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 05:52:57 PM »
Happy to help! ^.^

Just wanted to say, be very, very careful when washing So Softs.  Their flocking is so peculiar - delicate when you want to preserve it, stubborn when you want to remove it!  Or so it always seems to me... :lol:  My super-plush, near-minty childhood Wind Whistler had developed tiny brown flecks in her flocking whilst in storage (ewww mould :X ) and I was so ginger when washing her... but she still suffered flocking loss on her NDS wing. -_-  On the other hand, I've received manky, grubby So Softs in lots, sometimes even with their flocking worn down to next to nothing... but it takes piles of power-scrubbing and acetone to remove their flock! :blink:

It's like they know... :lookround: :lol:

Seriously, though... I'm looking forward to seeing how you fare with North Star, and I'm also dead curious to see the pony that fell behind the feed buckets!  Pics!  Pics! :biggrin:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 05:54:37 PM by Sugar »

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 07:09:41 PM »
Oh poor little North Star! I totally vote for cute pony shoes or socks :)

And for cleaning her up as Sugar says just be careful because flocking can be removed much easier than you would think it could be.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline cassstorm

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Is Northstar saveable??? and FIZZY
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 01:19:56 AM »
Darn Darn Double Darn!!! I said I really wanted to take before and after pics too, and I got halfway through before I remembered to take pics of Fizzy!!! Here goes anyway- so far she has been gently magic erased (WOW) and hair washed, I am going to wash and condition it again today.. this is what I did when I got off at 1 am because I just couldn't stand the way the poor girl looked!

Last night pics (halfway through cleaning)

Her hair was so matted and smelled!! I really thought she would not come clean!

So far today:

She has one small spot of green? still on her, going to work on it later, her main came out beautifully, but her tail still needs work. Wow!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 01:24:13 AM by cassstorm »

Offline Eluluu

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • should be sculpting... ooh! Netflix!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 01:36:13 AM »
fantastic job cleaning fizzy up. I was about to offer to rehair her for you if its needed but seeing the pics it looks like it wont be necessary. but if you ever have someone who needs hair drop me a line and we can work something out. =]

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 06:00:54 AM »
She looks fantastic :) Just a little thought...have you checked inside of her? She looks as though she may have some tail rust; see the discolouration at the base of her tail and in the white of the tail? You may want to double check as unfortunately over time it will get worse if you dont fix it :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal