collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Recommend some anime to me!  (Read 1006 times)

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
Recommend some anime to me!
« on: October 06, 2013, 12:16:09 PM »
I want to watch more anime because I have a curiosity for it, and there's a lot of it available to me, so why not?

I like..fairy tales... fantasy....futuristic stuff not so much....I liked Serial Experiment Lain...  I won't mind same-sex pairings... that's about it as far my notes on anime.  Things with animals are cool. I liked Vampire Princess Miyu too.

Here's the venues I can watch anime on my TV.

HuluPlus (they have Funimation and these shows:  http://www.hulu.com/network/funimation) Is there anything I should check out?
Netflix (http://www.imdb.com/list/11lrnnLNiP8/)
Amazon Prime (http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A2625373011%2Cp_n_format_browse-bin%3A2650306011%2Cp_n_theme_browse-bin%3A2650364011)
Crackle (http://www.crackle.com/c/anime)

Right now I am watching My Bride is a Mermaid.

And....go!

:happy:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 12:21:50 PM by StoryDreamer »
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend some anime to me!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 12:31:51 PM »
Keep in mind I don't like anime type things anymore and most of my likes were from the teen years, so my suggestions are old. Also, I didn't go for more of the cute stuff, so you may hate this. I watched Afro Samurai like three years ago because of Samuel L. Jackson being in it, and he's so my man...if I loved men. :lol:

It's more like action stuff though. Still I'll suggest it anyway. :lookround:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 12:46:45 PM »
if you like magical girl stuff I would recommend sailor moon.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 12:49:23 PM »
I don't know what's on those sites but you might like AngelTails.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline elvenwine26

• Super Secret Squirrel
  • Trade Count: (+143)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 01:24:51 PM »
I mostly just read manga these days as opposed to watching anime, but my tastes are all over the wall, honestly.
Sailor moon is always a go for me. I enjoyed Lodoss War it's got elves and fantasy!
"How much for the horse tornado?"
"Sir, that's a carousel."
"I must have it!"

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 01:29:46 PM »
I'm more of a manga person but I can recommend some favorites

Higurashi (gorey, but cool)
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
D.N.Angel (this one has some romance!)
Tiger & Bunny (they're super heroes! It's pretty cool :) )
Haruhi Suzimiya
Spice & Wolf (fantasy, merchants)
Free! Iwatobi Swim Club (swimmer boy fanservice but its nice)
Attack on Titan (popular right now. Action)

And if you like Anime movies then I recommend Wolf Children, Tokyo Godfathers, Summer Wars, & ANY Miyazaki film.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Ainadae

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 01:36:43 PM »
'Puella Magi Madoka Magica' is one of my new favorites and a brilliant Faustian twist on the magical girl genre.

'RideBack' is a great, short action/racing series with a touch of dystopia and a ballerina who kicks butt!

'Honey and Clover' is a lovely slice of life rom/com/drama about art school students in Tokyo with a very sweet story and beautiful character designs by Chika Umino.

'Aria' takes place in the future on the planet Mars which has been terraformed to look exactly like the city of Venice, Italy. This is really a show about nothing but the everyday comings and goings of a young gondolier apprentice, but there's something so happy and cute about this show that it brightens my day every time I watch it.

'Paradise Kiss' follows a girl (sorta) kidnapped by design school students who want her to model for their label in the most important fashion show of their young careers. THIS show is hot. Also, it's by Ai Yazawa of 'Nana' fame!

And 'Revolutionary Girl Utena'! The story of a little girl who was so enamored with a prince, she decided to become a prince herself. Sword fights, betrayal, fairy tales, romance and GORGEOUS bishounen, this show is twisted and breathtaking. (And I haven't seen it yet, but the director/production staff of this series released another recently, 'Mawaru Penguin Drum', so if you like Utena, MPD might suit you too.)

Hope you find some stuff you like! And I can't wait to see what other people post, I'm looking for some new series' too!

Wishing Well

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 01:48:57 PM »
If you want super silly, Legend of Koizumi is pretty hilarious.

It has Super Sayian Hitler playing Majong against Pope Benedict while the Pope recites a majong version of Genesis. Also, all the Nazi's are on the moon.

I've also gotten into Dangan Ronpa, but that series is a real dark whodunnit mystery with some real brutal scenes in it. Not for everyone.

I also like Axis Power Hetalia, but that's more of a Gag a Day strip/vignettes rather than a full blown series. Still it's good fluff and has many hilarious and quotable moments and a few touching/sad ones as well.

Wolf's Rain, Trigun, Hellsing and Cowboy Bebop are also shows I recommend due to how awesome they are. Also, I do love me some One Piece, but the Art is kinda hit or miss for most people.

Magical Girls wise there is always Princess Tutu, Tokyo Mew Mew, Magica Madoka (HIGHLY recommend), Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch, Cardcaptor Sakura, Revolutionary Girl Utena and Pretty Cure.

And just because I think you'll like it, Black Butler is pretty good too. 

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »
Thanks for recs so far! I've found several on the venues I listed.

I also like noir films, so anything like that.

So far I will be watching..

Princess Tutu
Spice and Wolf
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 02:40:06 PM by StoryDreamer »
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 06:10:12 PM »
I'm not much into anime. I've only watched Ranma 1/2 and Fruits Basket, and I would recommend those two! Ranma 1/2 is hilarious and actually both have animals (people who turn into animals anyway)! ;)

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline Thrice

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • I drop science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 07:39:50 PM »
Kino's Journey
Darker Than Black
Haibane Renmei

And for my giggly girly side...
Angelic Layer
Cardcaptor Sakura

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 09:03:20 PM »
I second Fullmetal Alchemist!  I really, really didn't think I'd enjoy it when my husband first made me start watching it, but it has a tremendously deep and emotionally loaded story that really drew me in.  (Keep in mind, though, I'm a HUGE sucker for erm... tragic things...)  Brief synopsis for you: Two brothers practice alchemy which is the art of turning chemical components into completed things, using the Law of Equivalent Exchange.  They try to bring their mother back to life but since they can't create a human soul, they fail at it and end up essentially killing the younger brother.  The older brother is able to pull him back by using alchemy to seal the younger brother's soul into a suit of armor, but it literally costs him an arm and a leg.  The story begins with them questing to find an item that will help them restore their bodies and ends up in them getting involved in a FAR greater situation than either of them expected.  This series is pretty rich in lore and fantasy-based science.  FMA *is* pretty dark, but it's GOOD.

If you're looking for more of a feel good anime, I recommend Fairy Tail.  To sum it up, it's about a wizards' guild and the adventures that they get into.  This series really surprised me, too, by how carefree and humorous it is but I still got VERY emotionally attached to several of the characters.  The first couple episodes started kind of slow for me, but now that I'm all caught up on the disks that I have on hand, I can hardly wait for more to be released! 

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 12:13:43 AM »
I saw Tiger And Bunny got suggested and I second that one. I've become pretty selective over the years on what anime I watch and Tiger And Bunny is one of those that just does a perfect job in what it sets out to do.

I also suggest Saiyuki, any of the .Hack series,  Tactics,  and xxxHolic.

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 12:41:20 AM »
Have you checked out Crunchyroll? It's a website where you can watch TONS of anime

http://www.crunchyroll.com/

Right now I'm hooked on Attack on Titan.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/attack-on-titan

You might like Chi's Sweet Home.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/chis-sweet-home-chis-new-address

Or Polar Bear Cafe.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/polar-bear-cafe

sailorstitch

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 12:45:22 AM »
I think Crunchyroll might be available on my Roku in a "lite" version so I will check it out.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal