collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Worst Pony Name You've Ever Heard  (Read 11660 times)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: The Worst Pony Name You've Ever Heard
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2013, 09:04:32 PM »
I'll try not to do repeats!

I like Lolligiggle, actually. Wordplay!

I'm not thrilled with Kimono. Isn't that the equivalent of naming a pony "Shirt?"

Also not a fan of ponies named for real life/"human" places, like Hollywood or Honoluloo. To me, ponies live in a completely foreign fantasy land and have no association with humans!
Also don't like when the creators just name a pony after their symbol instead of something even a little creative, like with poor Cupcake, Waterfire, and...did I read that right? Orange Flower? Wow is that bad. It's not even a blossom from an orange tree...her symbol literally is an orange flower. Uuggghh

Don't knock Waterfire's name. Hasbro is located in Rhode Island and in the summer they (Providence, the capital city of Rhode Island) have an event called Waterfire where they have bonfires in these metal baskets on the river. While it has never been officially stated that the pony's name was inspired by the event it seems a little too convenient.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 09:06:05 PM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

DancingPhoenix

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2013, 11:48:31 PM »

I'm not thrilled with Kimono. Isn't that the equivalent of naming a pony "Shirt?"

Also not a fan of ponies named for real life/"human" places, like Hollywood or Honoluloo. To me, ponies live in a completely foreign fantasy land and have no association with humans!
Also don't like when the creators just name a pony after their symbol instead of something even a little creative, like with poor Cupcake, Waterfire, and...did I read that right? Orange Flower? Wow is that bad. It's not even a blossom from an orange tree...her symbol literally is an orange flower. Uuggghh

Don't knock Waterfire's name. Hasbro is located in Rhode Island and in the summer they (Providence, the capital city of Rhode Island) have an event called Waterfire where they have bonfires in these metal baskets on the river. While it has never been officially stated that the pony's name was inspired by the event it seems a little too convenient.

Eh, I don't think the intent in this thread is to "knock" pony names so much as laugh and wonder at the sillier ones. There are quite a few names in this thread that I personally don't think or silly but I can see how they might be seen that way, just opinions :)

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2013, 11:58:00 PM »
Daisyo... its like for me like: "Daisy!! YOOOOOOO" Like what a streetgang would say. XD

Water_Fire

« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2013, 02:51:15 AM »
I've always found the name Morning Glory hysterical. I mean, it survived over multiple generations! Did NO ONE in that board room say 'Erm, do you guys KNOW what that means?!'

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2013, 06:33:41 AM »
Filthy Rich.I assume his parents hated him. The worst part is that during that episode they kept making a joke by just calling him Filthy. As if the entire name isn't bad. 
I also dislike human names for ponies and a lot of the current fanon names. I want to hit the name "Colgate" with a stick.

Offline RainbowRay

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • so very rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2013, 09:56:51 AM »
I agree with names like Scootaloo, and other nonsensey words with too many 'oo' sounds in them! And the G4 ponies with 'surnames'. Ponies don't have surnames!

One name that really bothers me though is Peppermint Crunch. I think it's the association of the word 'crunch' with ice cream, it really makes my teeth feel uncomfortable just thinking about it... Also I hate mint flavour so that just makes it worse. It's a shame, I love the pony but I can't stand the name!

Offline cadance89

• Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2013, 11:19:54 AM »
'Night Cap' also has a bit of a double meaning, poor baby!

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2013, 11:30:36 AM »
I forgot about Pillow Talk and Night Cap! I know the latter one they mean the hat you sleep in, not a baby pony taking "sleep aids." It's even funnier they're in the same set.

I've always found the name Morning Glory hysterical. I mean, it survived over multiple generations! Did NO ONE in that board room say 'Erm, do you guys KNOW what that means?!'
I had to look up what it means. And now I'm highly amused.

Duster reference]

Offline Lyra

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2013, 11:30:45 AM »
As many have said, 'Floater' XD

Also a lot of the Big Brother ponies have funny names. Gah, that scene in the cartoon, my friend unfamiliar with MLP found quite hilarious (not an exact quote) "blah blah what do you think Steamer?""Blah blah I don't know Score, what you think SALTY..etc etc" the names getting gradually funnier, also possible to mishear 4-Speed for just 'Speed', and then they also rename Slugger as 'First Base' in the UK.
Oh Hasbro
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 12:44:45 PM by Lyra »
Lyra Silvertongue - not Heartstrings!

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2013, 12:31:15 PM »
Morning Glory has always just meant flower to me.... AND I think I'll keep it that way.  :P

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2013, 12:32:57 PM »
Yes and for the sake of our PG-13 rating...lets keep it that way
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2013, 12:59:16 PM »
Scootaloo (reminds me of my dog when he scoots to scratch his bum)

:lmao: My mom calls my chihuahua Scootaloo when she scoots :lol:
We call our dog Scootaloo when he does that too! :P

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

divalei

« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2013, 01:43:44 PM »

And sort of unrelated, why did they have to name the Baby ponies exactly the same thing as their parents! Its just a little bit narcissistic! Sure, they can look the same (minor differences would be nice though...) but give it a different name! Geez!

In germany they indeed got a little different names.
For example,
Firefly & Baby Firefly = Feuerfunke & Baby Flammenflitzer (translates to "Firespark" & "Baby Flame Dasher")
Glory & Baby Glory = Sternschnuppe & Baby Schätzchen (translates to Shooting Star & Baby Darling / Honey / Sweetie)
Moondancer & Baby Moondancer = Traumtänzer & Baby Sternentanz (translates to Dreamdancer & Baby Stardance)
Blossom & Baby Blossom = Primelchen & Baby Honigkuchen (Primrose & Baby Honey Cake)
Cotton Candy & Baby Cotton Candy = Kügelchen & Baby Karamell (Pearl / Pellet & Baby Caramell)

I actually like these.

I don't know about the worst but weird names are Backstroke and Sand Dollar, at least to me sand dollar is weird. What does it mean?

When I was younger I watched MLP cartnoons on VHS dupped in finnish, well ponies names were translated and there were some oddities.

How about Pink Pony and Purple Pony?

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2013, 01:50:09 PM »
I don't know about the worst but weird names are Backstroke and Sand Dollar, at least to me sand dollar is weird. What does it mean?

Sand dollars are little sea critters (a kind of urchin, I think). When they die, they look like this:

And wash up on shore where people oftentimes collect them. There's a lot of folklore surrounding them.

It's also her symbol so it's not the world's most inspired name, but that's where it comes from!

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2013, 02:11:29 PM »

My apologies for not knowing that.
I'll put something here some time

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal