collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cheap BJDs?  (Read 1497 times)

ValhallaLilly

• Trade Count: (0)
Cheap BJDs?
« on: September 27, 2013, 06:42:48 AM »
I think I'm getting sucked in to dolls  -_-
But I'm just wondering I really can't afford the prices for some of these. Are there any cheaper dolls that are maybe for a starter collector? Like under 40? I know random maker names but I'm not sure if there are comprehensive lists of dolls for people to buy and styles etc. I guess I know basically nothing!
Thanks.

Skitterbug

Re: Cheap BJDs?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 07:34:04 AM »
Under 40$ probably won't get you a resin doll, but Junkyspot has Hujoo dolls, which are balljointed and strung with elastic, but made of ABS plastic. I've heard lots of good things about them, though.

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 07:36:24 AM »
You could try Hujoo. They are about 24-26cm tall and are strung ball jointed dolls, but made of ABS plastic rather than polyurethane resin so they are cheaper & lighter weight. Their faces are not for everyone, but I like them :) http://www.junkyspot.com/obindex.html A blank Hujoo will be around $40-$45. They also have really cute kitty anthro sculpts!

But I really feel there's no such thing as a cheap BJD. Once you add in the cost of face painting, clothes, wigs, eyes and shoes even a "cheap" Hujoo can creep up to around $100! Best thing to do, IMO, is to look around at different dolls you might be interested in, search for owner pics on flickr, and decide which one you just fall in love with. Then save up for it. Better to save up to get the doll you really love than spend a chunk of cash on one you might not really like, just to see.

ETA: also, there might be a local doll meet up club near you. If you can attend a meet up you can handle other people's dolls (with their permission) and get a feel of what size you prefer and all.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 07:39:34 AM by Radiance »
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 08:06:51 AM »
I agree with you radiance. There is no such thing as a cheap BJD. I think finding one that you will love is going to be the way to go. Also know that places like Dever Doll offer law away. That's how I was able to afford my doll.

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 09:33:23 AM »
Mint on Card offers a 6 month layaway, too. MoC & Denver Doll are reputable dealers; I've bought from them both.

ValhallaLilly

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 11:35:51 AM »
Thanks for the replies! And the sites are really great too. I can get a better idea of faces and which I might like!

Skitterbug

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 11:50:09 AM »
The company that's generally the cheapest is http://www.resinsoul.com/ , i have one of theirs dolls and he's wonderful.

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 10:07:28 AM »
If you want to learn about BJDs Den of Angels is a good resource, but there aren't any BJD in that price range I know of. Have you considered vinyl or more playline type dolls?
What dolls are catching your eye right now to make you interested?

ValhallaLilly

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 03:15:03 PM »
Well I saw a pukifee once that I really wanted.. And the JDolls but my Tuesday Morning hasn't gotten them that I know of. I go back on forth on Blythe and Pullip dolls. Can't decide if I want them or not.
Not sure what a playline doll would be really. I think BJDs are really fragile (?) so if there are pretty posable dolls that aren't I'd look into those too?
Thanks.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 03:26:44 PM »
Blythes, Pullips, and J-Dolls are not BJDs. Pullips and JDolls are hinge joint fashion dolls and I don't believe Blythes have joints but I could very well be wrong about those. The cheapest BJDs are probably Bobobie/Resin Soul. Ai Dolls and Pang-Ju dolls are small BJDs in the $100 range. Seeing as the Ai Dolls were recently available on the Tuesday Morning website before they closed it for $30, you may be able to grab one up cheaper than usual if you are lucky. In fact, after a quick search on ebay, alot are going for around $60 right now. They are darling little dolls. I have 2 and a Pang-ju. They come with doll, face up, eyes, wig, and clothes. So they are ready to go for the basic price. Most other bjds you have to pay extra for face up, clothes, wig, and sometimes even eyes.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 03:30:11 PM by kaoskat »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 04:38:57 PM »
There is also Fallindoll. They have some fairly cheap ABS dolls.

http://www.fallindoll.com/index.php
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 10:14:56 AM »
Actually, resin BJDs are not very fragile at all! Mine get taken all over, have had spills aplenty, and scarcely come away with a scratch. The wort damage I've had was a broken finger, which I just glued back on. I wrote away to the company and they sent me a new hand to replace the broken one, too! There's actually a thread on Den of Angels that showed a doll being restored that had been in a house fire. Everything was destroyed but the doll was able to be restored to almost good as new. He was discolored but his owner still loved him :)

If you need a referral to join DoA PM me :) 

ValhallaLilly

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 05:13:18 PM »
Oh thanks! Clearly I don't even have my terms correct. I think I must have assumed that everyone's doll was Ball Jointed...oops  :lol:

Blitzn

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 05:47:00 PM »
Oh thanks! Clearly I don't even have my terms correct. I think I must have assumed that everyone's doll was Ball Jointed...oops  :lol:

LOL Pullips and the like (I love Dals best) are awesome. I'm a huge fan. They aren't BJDs but they are great dolls to get you introduced to some of the BJD type things. They have wigs, can have their eyes changed, they pose, you can practice face ups on them. I wouldn't write them off just because their joints are different. They are amazing dolls in their own right. However, it's almost inevitable that if you get into them, you will eventually be completely dragged over into the world of the more pricey BJDs at some point. Pullips are the gateway dolly drug.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal