collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How Do You Price Custom Ponies?  (Read 846 times)

Daeaye

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: How Do You Price Custom Ponies?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 07:46:25 AM »
Thank you everyone, you've all been superbly helpful. Barbed, I used to never be able to take criticism - (un)fortunately, my boyfriend tells me what he thinks about things I make whether I like it or not, and always offers suggestions for improvement. This caused arguments in the beginning (no one ever told me their honest opinion, I believe) but I've gotten used to it. I can take criticism better than before, and now, if my boyfriend ever does say something is good (or the lesser used word: 'amazing') then I know I've done well. But this is a great idea, and I'll be sure to  build up a bit of a portfolio and ask for some critiques from among you all.

I'll also do my best to get some more practise in before trying to sell anything (I certainly won't be ready to take commissions for months, if ever, because I recognise the pressure on the crafter, and expectation of the buyer and it's a big deal), but knowing me, I'll probably try to sell regardless. I get very impatient. But I'll be certain to keep everything everyone has said in mind before pricing. You've all been superbly helpful, and I really appreciate it! ♥

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Customs
Re: How Do You Price Custom Ponies?
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 07:59:31 AM »
I honestly hate doing pricing on my customs. I usually get opinions on prices from my husband or my mom. My mom usually gives me prices that I may think my work is worth, but I don't believe my work would be able to sell at that price. I often feel like I undersell myself. Not to say that I think my work is something super amazing or is better then anyone else! There are just a lot of times when I work on stuff I realize how much work I put into it and how much I fall in love with my work while I'm doing it.

I usually price my ponies based on how much time and work I have put into it. I also price them based on how much previous ponies I have made have sold for and use those prices as a comparison. Pricing is really hard for me. I don't do customs that frequently so I'm not sure how much of a "name-reputation" I've really built up for myself so that doesn't help. Haha. When I first started, I priced my ponies low, the first two I made still haven't sold even after lowering the prices (so I will probably end up redoing them since I don't feel good lowering the prices even more). So sometimes pricing can be kind of a hit or miss, its definately better to price based on what you feel is right vs what you think people will pay for your work.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 08:12:43 AM by PonySeeker128 »
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal