collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Looking for Advice - Washing Hanks of Pony Hair  (Read 422 times)

khyron

• Trade Count: (0)
Looking for Advice - Washing Hanks of Pony Hair
« on: September 06, 2013, 10:47:34 AM »
I've decided to take the plunge and try my hand at making custom ponies.  I'm doing okay-ish for a first effort.  I'm working on four ponies - three of them have a base coat, eyes, and just need cutie marks and hair.  The last of the bunch has a marred base coat after a joint effort where my son poured water on her and my messing up the fix, so she's no where near getting rehaired... but I digress...

For all of the rehairing I bought hanks from Dollyhair.com, and most of them are pretty good to go, I think.  One, however, "Golden Goddess" had the following disclaimer - "NOTICE: The manufacturer made a small mistake and added a bit too much oil additive. This has resulted in this color feeling slightly more oily than the other colors. You'll find that its texture will feel similar to saran. HOWEVER, this is nothing that a quick shampoo won't take care of."

Okay, I thought, that sounds easy enough, but now that I'm thinking about it I'm feeling nervy about it.  I know that I have to do the wash before I rehair the pony, but what's the best way to go about it without strands of it getting tangled, washed down the drain, or otherwise lost/ruined?

Does anyone have any advice for me?  I'd really appreciate it if you'd share!

Thanks!!

Offline sweetlittlejenny

• Trade Count: (+99)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Advice - Washing Hanks of Pony Hair
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 11:22:21 AM »
Hmm, I've never washed the hair before using it. I just hold my pony upside down once its rehaired and shampoo and condition then.

I suppose you could fill your sink with water and dip the hair and shampoo. Then get clean water in the sink and dunk until all the shampoo is out. Or just hold it in your hand under running water. Just make sure the twist tie is on very good so you don't lose any hair.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Click banner for my customs gallery.

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 11:27:16 AM »
Hm...I only wash hair before re-hairing if I am dying it. I generally zip tie tightly in the middle and rinse. If it is tangled/oily, I would condition/shampoo heavily and comb it carefully with a metal comb. Be sure to hold around the zip tie or twist tie.
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

Offline Vampasaurus

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Champion of Kirkwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 11:52:47 AM »
I agree with sweetlittlejenny. Whenever I have pony hair that's oily or otherwise needs a wash, I always wash it after I rehair the pony.

http://vampasaurus.tumblr.com/

khyron

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 12:43:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  :)

I'm reluctant to wash the hair after rehairing because I've painted the ponies with acrylics.  I'm afraid that it'll mess up the job that I did with errant splashes.

I think I'll try the zip tie idea! 

If anyone else has thoughts or advice to share, please post away.  I can use all the help that I can get!

Offline sweetlittlejenny

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 01:15:30 PM »
I paint my ponies with acrylics too. As long as you've sealed it with something splashes shouldn't hurt it. I've accidentally gotten the whole head wet before and it was ok.
But, certainly go with whatever you're more comfortable with. :)

Offline PaintedHooves

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Dayna's Custom Ponies
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 01:36:21 PM »
I agree with Jenny.  Don't wash it until after you've rehaired the pony.  There are some good sealers out there that aren't very expensive, and then you don't have to worry about losing half your hank of hair down the drain.  I use plain old Mod Podge and I've never had an issue with my paint job being ruined :)  Good luck!

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 02:57:29 PM »
I always wash the hair after re-hairing. Also, its really hard to tame the hair if you dont wash it after you're done re-hairing, it often ends up looking like a crazy mohawk.  XD

Offline sweetlittlejenny

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 03:07:08 PM »
For the record though, I usually wash the tail before putting it in the pony. Once I have it together and zip tied. That way I can ensure its completely dry and its just easier for me that way.

khyron

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 06:56:13 AM »
I have Modge Podge spray in matte, how do people feel about that product for sealing?  If it isn't great, is there a different type of Modge Podge I should look for?

I'm such a newb...   :cry:

Offline Aerora

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 02:56:42 PM »
I have Modge Podge spray in matte, how do people feel about that product for sealing?  If it isn't great, is there a different type of Modge Podge I should look for?

I'm such a newb...   :cry:

I've had questionable experiences with mod podge (not the spray stuff, though) - it's really prone to getting sticky, especially in warm weather. :( I love Testor's Dullcote - but since you've got mod podge already, I'd use it! If you start having issues with sticky customs, you can always put a different sealant over it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal