collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Can you help me how to get the colour stay on a pony  (Read 378 times)

Offline daccar

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
Can you help me how to get the colour stay on a pony
« on: September 06, 2013, 03:15:52 AM »
Hi,
Im painting my first pony with Vallejo came colour-paint.
I noticed that it can get a scratch very easily. Does the paint stay better by finishing it with Vallejo varnish? I have got the satin one 'cos I dont want the pony be shiny.
Or is there something better and more permanent stuff? (That I could find even in Finland)

Daccar
 :cloud:
DAC  :cloud:  CAR

♥ My great horse who loved hugging ♥

Offline Eluluu

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • should be sculpting... ooh! Netflix!
    • View Profile
Re: Can you help me how to get the colour stay on a pony
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 08:31:52 AM »
yes. using a finish should help with the paint rubbing or scratching. most spray on dull (or gloss if you like shiney finishes) will do the trick. I imagine the Vallejo brand will work fine. personally im using Testors atm (switched from Armory for the moment, testing to see if my previous topcoat was the cause of tacky customs)

and if youre having issues with getting the paint to stick properly to the plastic (like if its streaking or beading up) you can always prime it first.

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 09:20:58 AM »
You should paint them with acrylic paint and seal with mod podge. Oddly enough, I'm not sure about English name (sealing glue?) for it because people just say the name of the brand - mod podge, but if you speak German its "Bastelkleber"(none of those are my native language, btw). Basically, it's a glue that dries transparent and has many uses in crafts, one of them being sealing paint on figurines. You apply it with the brush the same way you would paint :)
Oh, you can usually choose between glossy and matte finish.
Mod Podge

Offline daccar

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 09:27:35 AM »
Thanks
Eluluu and Sweet_Berry for your advices.
Must try to find something here in Finland or order from the net....

Daccar
DAC  :cloud:  CAR

♥ My great horse who loved hugging ♥

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 10:15:38 AM »
Priming with gesso helps the paint to stick better (gesso is available in most craft stores and even book stores, try Suomalainen or Akateeminen kirjakauppa), and a sealant helps protecting your finished paint job. Mod podge is sold here but personally I recommend polyurethane varnish (e.g. Folk Art). I don't know what type of varnishes Vallejo offers, in any case it's best to test it on a bait pony or small area first - some sealants get sticky when they dry. Folk Art's polyurethane varnish has to be brushed on, like Mod Podge, and it creates a visible "film" over the pony (even the matte version is slightly shiny, I like the effect but some prefer a completely invisible finish). Another one I've tried is Games Workshop Purity Seal, that's a spray on varnish. It didn't get sticky but for some reason I didn't really like it... might have to try again some day.

It might also be your paints, I have no experience with Vallejo myself but as far as I know they're okay for ponies. So I would just try sealing and maybe priming first. :) Good luck!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal