collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: September Custom Spotlight ~~ Full Body Repaints!!  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
September Custom Spotlight ~~ Full Body Repaints!!
« on: August 31, 2013, 09:11:59 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sometimes you want a pony in a specific color that just doesn't exist in a Hasbro pony (or not in the pose or generation you want). The easiest solution is to paint the whole pony: a Full Body Repaint (FBR).

Even though I now own an airbrush, I still do all my FBRs by hand. I like the control and the ability to do several coats of paint in a single sitting. I'm sure there will be an airbrushing tutorial in the future, so this tutorial focuses exclusively on FBR by hand.

Materials needed:
Bait pony
Paint (I recommend acrylic)
Acrylic Extender
Brush (I use a size 12 flat shader)
Wax paper (to set the pony on to dry and between coats)
Toothpicks (to mix paint and extender)
Paper plate (or other surface to hold paint)
Cup of water
Paper Towels (I strongly recommend Viva)
Brush cleaner (it's worth buying this to keep your brushes lasting longer)

Before you start:
Make sure to properly prep your bait. Remove old hair. Remove old symbols and marks with acetone. Clean inside (no rust, mold, etc). And make sure the pony is completely dry inside and out before you start painting.

The different generations have different types of plastic/vinyl for the bodies, but this shouldn't make much, if any, difference when painting.

If you are planning to do a FBR in YELLOW or white, be prepared for at least 2-3 times as many coats of paint as normal.

Do any sculpting before you do the FBR.

Painting:
Mix paint and extender on the plate. (You can blend paints for a unique color at this point.) Don't mix more than you can work with at one time; the extender will thin the paint (making it apply smoother) and lengthen the time before it dries (providing a longer working time), but you can always mix more. Getting the right ratio of paint to extender and mixing them completely are crucial aspects of avoiding brush strokes and other issues. I like mine similar to the consistency of milk or just a bit thicker. Remember, you can always add more paint or extender.

Note for blending: you will want to mix more and get as much painting done as possible (including symbols and eyes) in one sitting, so that you can do any touch ups without having to match the color in an additional blend. I recommend getting the FBR technique before attempting this.

Paint a base coat on the body and head. I recommend starting with the feet, so when you finish the rest of the body you can set the pony down on the wax paper without it being too sticky.

Once you have painted the body, paint the head. Make sure to paint all parts and avoid putting on too thick a coat of paint. You should still be able to see the original body color through the first coat (and usually the second coat as well). If the paint is runny, you have added too much extender and need to add more paint to thicken it. If you see paint pooling or dripping, brush it into the rest of the FBR.

After the base coat is painted, continue alternating between body and head with coats of paint. You will want to give the paint a chance to dry a little, but it doesn't have to fully dry between coats. Between alternating and waiting a couple minutes, I usually finish a FBR in 1 or 2 sessions (unless yellow or white is being used, then it takes at least twice as many). The pony for this tutorial was completed in 2 sessions on the same day.

Addendum:
Occasionally, I like to do a texture on top of the FBR for an additional effect. I find this works best with metallic paints and with contrasting colors to the base color, but it can be done with any color (depending on the look you're going for). I'm including this because I often include the original FBR color when creating this look.

You will need the original FBR color (for blends, it doesn't have to be 100% the same) and at least one additional color of paint; I usually use two or three additional colors. You will also need a sponge brush. Note: this will not get into spaces between legs very well, but if you want the effect there, you can fake it with a smaller brush (I use my 18/0 liner).

Mix the paint colors, each with extender, in their own spot on the plate. Put just a little paint on the sponge brush and begin dabbing the pony with it. Alternate between the colors or layer them for different effects (don't bother "cleaning" or rinsing the sponge brush between colors – just use the same brush to do it all).

I also added a speckle. Since I didn't want all parts of the pony covered in speckle, I used painters' tape loosely on those areas. Again, I used my size 12 flat shader (brush starts completely dry). I put a little paint on the end (better to start with too little than too much!!) and use my fingernail to scrape lengthwise across the top of the bristles from closest to the custom to furthest from the custom.

Tip: Be sure to cover anything you don't want speckled in your surroundings for a couple of feet in every direction (underneath, behind, right, and left – you shouldn't be getting any on yourself if you scrape in the direction I mentioned).

And here is my finished FBR.

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
Re: September Custom Spotlight ~~ Full Body Repaints!!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 09:49:18 PM »
Gorgeous!  I've always wondered how you do such smooth work!  Thank you!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 10:19:28 PM »
This is really neat looking, I am going to have to read of this better when I am not so tired.

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 12:13:23 PM »
scrape lengthwise across the top of the bristles from closest to the custom to furthest from the custom.

I can't even begin to tell you how important it is to follow this rule right here.   :P

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 12:30:32 PM »
Awesome!  Such a helpful tutorial!

Offline Saja

• Peacock Queen
  • Trade Count: (+325)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 09:46:22 PM »
Very cool! thanks for sharing
Wish list : http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,318839.0.html
See my work on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/saja.navajo Also rehairs and customs for sale in sales album on FB and also and Etsy Store https://www.etsy.com/shop/SajasCreations

Argentum-Zeena

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 10:43:06 PM »
Great tutorial! I do lots of FBRs, so this is super helpful.

Offline pandabear_chan

• Trade Count: (+393)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://customsbypandabear.deviantart.com
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 11:24:57 PM »
I have to add a tip that was helpful for all my FBR before I started airbrushing. For my tip you don't need acrylic extender but just water (never knew at this point that some extender existed)

I painted the first 2 or 3 layers with nearly non watered down paint because it gives you the ability to nearly cover the full body in paint. Let it dry and then water down your paint. Not too much, maybe to the consistency of oil. Then you should add 1 or two more layers to the body until it is fully converted to the desired new color. Then you should water down your color more to get a milky consistency. You apply 2 more layers with this thin paint - water mixture and then you should be done.

The result of so many layers are that you get a full body repaint with nearly no brush strokes. You need to do it with a soft brush and to turn dark colored ponies light, you may need a few more sessions but please be sure, it will be worth the time and work.

Offline LadySatine

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • It's time for the robot test!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 10:09:23 AM »
Awesome info! Thank you!

Vintage toys on Ebay:MLP Customs on Etsy: :freak: Commission Status: CLOSED:Avatar by FloralHippo:Siggy pony by Griffin :lol:

Offline WaePonies

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 06:22:44 PM »
is this really helpful thank you ^.^
xoxo

Offline JaguarKisses

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • JaguarKisses Customs
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 07:16:02 PM »
very lovely...I really like the flecks of color on the body. The others are gorgeous too.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 01:12:36 PM »
That is so cool. I might have to give that a try someday :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal