collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Thinking of getting out of Monster High...  (Read 878 times)

Offline Dewprincess

• Trade Count: (+125)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Thinking of getting out of Monster High...
« on: August 26, 2013, 01:23:27 PM »
I think I'm getting a bit bored with the line.  I like the new dolls that are coming out, but I've seen about 20 Twylas by now and left her on the shelf each time, and same with the Headmistress when last year I would have just snapped them up right away and not thought about it.  I also sold my SDCC Frankie and Skull Shores Gil this summer to help raise some spending money for the Fair and don't feel the need to replace them.  I'm still undecided about whether to start selling off my collection, but I don't want to wait too long and not be able to get anything for them.

Anyone else in this same spot?  Thoughts?

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
Re: Thinking of getting out of Monster High...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 01:43:07 PM »
I'm in the same spot. I sold of a few of my extra character dolls, and now I'm selling about half of my ghoulias as well and thinking about adding a few more. (well, I say I'm selling them, no one is buying though XD) I'm just not in love anymore. No sense keeping them taking up valuable shelf space *shrug* There are some collections I feel like I'd end up missing if I sold them, but I don't think MH is one of them. It's not nostalgic and it's not irreplacable, so I'm just not attached.

Offline rimmu

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 01:59:09 PM »
I´m getting bored with MH too. I´m in the process of sorting my collection and now it seems that I will be selling almost 50 dolls and keeping only about 10 my absolute favorites. Only new doll I´m looking forward is Honey Swamp. I´m getting sick of all the draculaura/Frankie releases, werecats etc.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline katieklassified

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 02:25:43 PM »
I'm getting bored with it because the new dolls are taking FOREVER showing up here. I've held Bloodgood in my hands like 10 times and even at the lower price, I haven't snapped her up yet. IDK.

I'm interested in older dolls if anyone is selling for a good price, though...hint hint!

HELP ME NAME MY PONYSONA!

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 03:11:11 PM »
I know exactly how you feel! The excitement for me waved a lot in the last year. I only own 2 now. I don't plan on getting anymore either. I sold all my collection I had to fund my BJD girl. And I'm super happy not having as many. They take up so much space and I have no regrets about selling them off.

If your thinking about selling pick out the ones your not as attached to and go from there. If you don't miss those work up to the others. That's what I did. Goodluck with what ever you do.

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 12:58:22 PM »
I've fallen out of love with MH myself, and have sold off a lot of mine. I do still really like repaints, though! I may just end up having my remaining stock dolls repainted. The last MH purchase I made was the Gorgon/ Mummy CAM pack, which I think is nice. I like the sculpting on the bodies but again, will probably have their faces repainted.
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 04:43:38 PM »
I haven't been inspired to buy more lately and most of mine aren't on display.  But I still enjoy switching stock and redoing the hair on the ones I have.

I guess if you don't enjoy them any more, selling off your least faves makes sense.  I don't know when the best time to do it is though. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 04:45:47 PM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 06:33:15 PM »
I've felt this way too with MH. No new characters that have caught my eye, no new stuff appearing. The past three months I've gone on a Hiatus and been gone from here for a long while just to see what it'd be like if I went cold turkey. Haven't felt any sign withdrawal or anything. I still enjoy them and wouldn't mind continuing them, but not as actively as I used to be. >,<;

TL;DR Me, mildly being a drama queen.

Spoiler
I also felt like getting out of it a little after the MHArena opened up, (No offence to the awesome MLPArena staff that worked so hard to open it up and are doing a great job maintaining it!) I've just felt somewhat out of place/unwelcomed there. I came to the conclusion that I enjoyed collecting MH because (along with collecting the dolls themselves and enjoying them) I enjoyed being part of a community with others who collected what I collected, but feeling out of place, now it's like being on the playground and seeing a group of kids having fun together, then asking to play and either being ignored or getting that awkward "...Sure..." silent moment or something. Iono, maybe it's just my little "ego" of being a part of something is just being hurt and I'm just not aware of/accepting it yet.

If you've completely lost interest, or think you've lost interest, you can try what I did and went cold turkey, not pay attention to your collection for a few months and see if you feel the same now as you would then about keeping them, selling them, or passing them onto someone else.
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline Dewprincess

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 09:17:56 AM »
Right now I have all my MH dolls in a storage container under the bed in the collection room, and before that they were in a crate in the closet.  I haven't had any of them on display in over a year :(  At this point there are a couple that I think I might feel bad about selling, but for most of them I don't think I have that much attachment.

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 10:22:59 AM »
I've felt this way too with MH. No new characters that have caught my eye, no new stuff appearing. The past three months I've gone on a Hiatus and been gone from here for a long while just to see what it'd be like if I went cold turkey. Haven't felt any sign withdrawal or anything. I still enjoy them and wouldn't mind continuing them, but not as actively as I used to be. >,<;

Spoiler
I also felt like getting out of it a little after the MHArena opened up, (No offence to the awesome MLPArena staff that worked so hard to open it up and are doing a great job maintaining it!) I've just felt somewhat out of place/unwelcomed there. I came to the conclusion that I enjoyed collecting MH because (along with collecting the dolls themselves and enjoying them) I enjoyed being part of a community with others who collected what I collected, but feeling out of place, now it's like being on the playground and seeing a group of kids having fun together, then asking to play and either being ignored or getting that awkward "...Sure..." silent moment or something. Iono, maybe it's just my little "ego" of being a part of something is just being hurt and I'm just not aware of/accepting it yet.

If you've completely lost interest, or think you've lost interest, you can try what I did and went cold turkey, not pay attention to your collection for a few months and see if you feel the same now as you would then about keeping them, selling them, or passing them onto someone else.

If it makes you feel any better, Luvly, I've noticed your disappearance and missed you :hug:  You always made me laugh:)  A few of my favorite people never truly made the switch, and that makes me sad (you are one of them!) so you are NOT alone.  Also, I have a bit of hard time over there too, but it's mostly because it's such a BIG open space, and I have a hard time keeping up with everything :lol:  I'm sure if you came back, you'd realize people miss you more than you think!

It seems alot of people are looking to "get out" or downsize.  I, myself, have been getting bad vibes from my collection.  I've got "it all," so it's an embarrassing amount of dolls.  It's getting to be too much, and I haven't been able to bond with the newer dolls because as soon as I get one, I need to find the next one and the next one.
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline Dewprincess

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 01:58:28 PM »

It seems alot of people are looking to "get out" or downsize.  I, myself, have been getting bad vibes from my collection.  I've got "it all," so it's an embarrassing amount of dolls.  It's getting to be too much, and I haven't been able to bond with the newer dolls because as soon as I get one, I need to find the next one and the next one.

I think that may be where some of my feelings are coming from.  The last few dolls I got were literally "buy doll, remove doll, throw away box, toss doll in with other dolls, repeat".  No time to really bond with the doll and enjoy it like I did with, say, Draculaura and Ghoulia when they first came out...they were going to be my "only two" MH dolls at that time, ha!  I *have* gotten to have that bonding with other dolls since then like Maddy Hatter, and yesterday with a Novi Stars doll I found at Goodwill, so it's not like I don't like dolls anymore.  I bet I'd even like Twyla if I buy her...I just don't feel that push to buy her or any of the others that are out like I did with Venus, et al.   I've had the same feelings with ponies before, like at the end of G3 right before Core 7 when there were just floods of new ponies all coming out at once, but not to the point where I wanted out of the whole collection. 

Anyway, point of super-long paragraph, it does indeed get overwhelming, even though I've only been collecting one of each character and not any variations.

Offline CrystalMist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Colorado is sooooo pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 04:20:54 PM »
It's cool. I feel like that too. I was really into monster high and I love to Howleen as well, I would've snapped up any version of her last year. But this year when I go to target or any other store I do not feel the need to pick up another job. I'm getting more into the collector dolls, and mostly because monster high has so many copies of every doll they more mass-produce then actually considered people paying big bucks for one dog. I don't think they thought about the future and what older Collectors or younger collectors might want!!  ( And now they EQG!! And Pinkie Cooper!)
I'm always looking for a Blythe accessories. PM me for any info!cloud_weaver is the best sister ever!!! :heart:

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 04:31:06 PM »
I go back and forth between dolls and ponies (gee, kind of like when I was a kid ;) ). I love ponies for the nostalgia and dolls for the fashion aspect. I think I got frustrated with the million dolls being released (didn't even try to keep up) AND I never see the cool ones because they are so popular in my area. Now I am trying to shop smartly. Only the ones that really speak to me and fit in my collection. It does help that I have a home for them now where I can enjoy them.

I wanted Twyla, then when I saw her I was underwhelmed so I passed her up. Then I saw some really pretty pics of her and decided to get her. She's definitely better out-of-box and has really grown on me. Headmistress BG was like 'meh'. No thanks. Then, Tuney tells me she has Nefera's body mold! I picked her up on clearance and took off her stupid coat (I am in LOVE with her boots) and took out her hair and removed her face paint. I think she'll make a stunning doll.

I agree with what was said here about sitting on your collection for a bit then deciding to sell. They aren't irreplaceable but they are expensive to replace.

Offline cuddlebuggy

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 06:22:36 PM »
I'm about to go through and sell my whole collection. I'm just done. My daughter and niece want to play with them but the answer is just no.
So I'll have all the sig dolls with most of their stock and accessories going up between now and Christmas!

Thanks to Whippetluv for my sig representing my two girls!

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »

Spoiler

If it makes you feel any better, Luvly, I've noticed your disappearance and missed you :hug:  You always made me laugh:)  A few of my favorite people never truly made the switch, and that makes me sad (you are one of them!) so you are NOT alone.  Also, I have a bit of hard time over there too, but it's mostly because it's such a BIG open space, and I have a hard time keeping up with everything :lol:  I'm sure if you came back, you'd realize people miss you more than you think!

Aww thanks I really appreciate that. :hug: Glad I'm not the only one that has that feeling.

I might try to slowly come back into MH if some of the new characters caught my attention, but so far they're not as different, "unique" or detailed as I'd expect them to be, now they're kinda starting to feel a bit "generic" now in a way. I'm still willing to go for each "Signature" release of new ghouls, but when they're starting to look almost plain, or similar to the other dolls, kinda hard to want to keep up. if that makes any sense.
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal