collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ginga Anime Series and Ginga Toys?  (Read 1122 times)

Offline BrinnyTheBrave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Ginga Anime Series and Ginga Toys?
« on: August 22, 2013, 03:03:55 PM »
Has anyone heard of these series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginga:_Nagareboshi_Gin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginga_Legend_Weed

and the figurines?

http://silvertoragegingacollections.webs.com/mygingacollection.htm

mainly looking for the plastic figures of Gin, Jerome, Weed, and the special edition Crystal Weed (yeah, yeah, mock his name lol, I've heard it before!) all the figures are on ebay for $70 excluding import charges and shipping. I don't want to pay so much when I only want two or three characters! If you have any of the figures, how big are they and do you have an extra you'd be willing to give up?  ^.^ Thanks

Also if you've seen the anime, what is your opinion on it? If you haven't seen it yet, and love dogs, I recommend it! But be warned it can be quite bloody. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this! :)

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
Re: Ginga Anime Series and Ginga Toys?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 03:48:43 PM »
Oh wow this is unexpected!

I haven't heard about this anime in so very long, but I was really into it back when I had my wolfaboo/weaboo phase  :blush:

I liked the anime a lot, I watched both GDW and GNG. GNG definitely had better animation but I enjoyed both series a lot. I can't give a good opinion because It's been so long since I watched it sadly! I remember my favorite character was actually Weeds brother, Yukimura. I don't remember why though?

I liked the little figures, but I really want the official plush toys. I used to thing all the manga was translated and almost made the mistake of buying them off of ebay before I realized they were all Japanese!

I do, however, have this

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

An out of print copy of the first volume of the manga! The first three volumes of the GDW manga were actually translated in ENG but the company either shut down or lost the rights and it hasn't been picked up by anyone else. So I'm luck to have this! I paid a lot of money to get it, and it's very worn.

Theres also Ginga Densetsu Riki, which is the about father of Gin and Ginga Densetsu Orion which is about Weeds son!
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Star Spark

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 03:54:58 PM »
Ooh, I know these series! I have all three English volumes of the Weed manga- got them on clearance at a local comic shop years ago. I wish the original anime would get an official English release, even as a sub- I love old school anime, and it's so rare to find animal based ones- but sadly I don't see it happening. Great to see others know of it, though!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 03:57:07 PM »
Haven't heard of it but it looks interesting!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline BrinnyTheBrave

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 04:43:40 PM »
Haha, I am as shocked as you guys are! I didn't think I'd get any replies let alone ones of people who knew this anime! Gin is probably my favourite, but I started with watching GDW and at that time, my favourites were Weed, Reika-chan, and Mel :)

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 04:55:10 PM »
I too picked up the first 3 books on Sale at a Borders Outlet. 
It's a great series but I'm pretty sure the company who translated it went under.  I have some other books from them that never finished so its definitely frustrating. 

Star Spark

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 05:07:23 PM »
Looking the series up revealed two interesting things: there's apparently a prequel manga ("Ginga Legend Riki", which follows Gin's father) and a sequel one ("Ginga Legend Weed: Orion", which is about Weed's offspring.) The franchise is also extremely popular in places like Finland, Denmark, Norway and Sweden- they've even gotten dubbed versions of the anime! (In case anyone's familiar with those languages and wants to watch it...)

Offline BrinnyTheBrave

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 05:13:11 PM »
I too picked up the first 3 books on Sale at a Borders Outlet. 
It's a great series but I'm pretty sure the company who translated it went under.  I have some other books from them that never finished so its definitely frustrating.

That's a shame. This series was so cool.

Post Merge: August 22, 2013, 05:13:58 PM

Looking the series up revealed two interesting things: there's apparently a prequel manga ("Ginga Legend Riki", which follows Gin's father) and a sequel one ("Ginga Legend Weed: Orion", which is about Weed's offspring.) The franchise is also extremely popular in places like Finland, Denmark, Norway and Sweden- they've even gotten dubbed versions of the anime! (In case anyone's familiar with those languages and wants to watch it...)

At the time I watched it, it wasn't that popular, so I had to watch it in Japanese with really bad English subs! lol

Offline loser

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 10:31:43 AM »
Ohhh my gosh, i haven't heard these names in a long time!  :frolic:
I used to be really into both of these when i was around 14. If i remember correctly, i think my favorite character was either teshin or kyoushiro?
One of the reasons i eventually stopped following these series was actually how hard the merch is to acquire. I remember pining after plushies and figures, but they always ended up being out of my price range.

Offline mul-ta

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Actually a Furbob
    • View Profile
    • garden
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 12:41:41 PM »
Yep, we're all nuts here and all of Ginga is a big hit in F-land. In addition to the anime, we even got the manga (finally something to make Swedes jelly over). GNG, Legend Riki and a number of extras have been published here, Weed is currently being released. We've even had Yoshihiro Takahashi visit the country. Twice. I'm not one of the die-hard fans with massive merch collections, but I do like GNG as a story. Animals and warrior virtues are right up my alley. Not so much Weed, I've been reading it but it just... drags on.

For merch, I suggest the Swedish Futagoshop. The English translation of the site is crappy but the system works. There at least used to be a few Finnish online stores as well, but I've been off the merch bandwagon for quite some time and the scene has no doubt changed.

Offline BrinnyTheBrave

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 02:20:20 PM »
Yep, we're all nuts here and all of Ginga is a big hit in F-land. In addition to the anime, we even got the manga (finally something to make Swedes jelly over). GNG, Legend Riki and a number of extras have been published here, Weed is currently being released. We've even had Yoshihiro Takahashi visit the country. Twice. I'm not one of the die-hard fans with massive merch collections, but I do like GNG as a story. Animals and warrior virtues are right up my alley. Not so much Weed, I've been reading it but it just... drags on.

For merch, I suggest the Swedish Futagoshop. The English translation of the site is crappy but the system works. There at least used to be a few Finnish online stores as well, but I've been off the merch bandwagon for quite some time and the scene has no doubt changed.

You are now my Ginga saviour! lol I can't seem to find the figures anywhere on the site though  :(

And I feel like the shipping price is already going to scare me away.

My only other complaint about the series as a whole, is that it very much lacks female warriors. I mean, I can kind of understand because of the time it was set in. But most of the female characters that do exist die.  :(

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 03:48:15 PM »
im glad someone posted something about this xD this is one of those things that I was really interested in reading years ago but then i just slowly forgot about it when other things got in the way! i had totally forgotten about it and now i really need to make a note someplace to remind me to look more into it. ^^
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Star Spark

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 04:07:43 PM »
There appear to be many individual figures on Ebay for various prices- you might be able to find what you want at a good price with some patience.  :good:

And I agree about the lack of females- the only one I remember is Cross, and she got removed from play right at a crucial point in GNG.

Eaglefeather

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 04:08:29 PM »
I used to watch the series once in awhile and I really enjoyed it. :) I should start watching it again sometime. I loooooove animated dogs! The figurines are so cute too.

Offline BrinnyTheBrave

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 04:42:42 PM »
There appear to be many individual figures on Ebay for various prices- you might be able to find what you want at a good price with some patience.  :good:

And I agree about the lack of females- the only one I remember is Cross, and she got removed from play right at a crucial point in GNG.

Yep (spoiler alert for those who haven't seen the show) Ben gets her pregnant. This infuriates me. She was one of the best fighters and had so much potential.

Post Merge: August 23, 2013, 04:43:44 PM

I used to watch the series once in awhile and I really enjoyed it. :) I should start watching it again sometime. I loooooove animated dogs! The figurines are so cute too.

As do I :3 I remember trying to find almost every anime that ever existed with a dog in it :P

Also, is it just me, or are there more female fans of this show than males? I mean look at all the Youtubers who watch this show and do dubs, and review the mangas etc. most of them seem to be girls XD It's funny how things like this work out, isn't it? MLP seems to have more male fans, while the Ginga line (from what I've seen), tends to have more female fans. Any thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 05:07:15 PM by BrinnyTheBrave »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal